A5 Sportback opinions please (and new shape A6) - a900ss

All,

It's company car replacement time and I am such a ditherer it takes me ages to make a decision.

Audis on my list are A5 sportbacks (3.0 and 2.0 Tdi multitronics FWD not quattro) and A6 Saloons (S-Line and SE Multitronic 2.0 Tdi).

Auto is a "must have" for me.

So I'm deciding between A5 and A6.

I have a young family, 2 girls under 5, and a wife who can't pack light. But I do have a roofbox.....

I do circa 30,000 miles pa so comfort is important. Any views on the sports suspension that comes on S-Line Audis is most welcome. A previous (2004) Audi was returned as it was just too uncomfortable but I've been told that Audis have softened since then.

Opinions on if the A5 Sportback is large enough/comfortable enough by those that either own or have driven one is particularly welcome.

I'll no doubt go for a 520d SE but the A5 looks much nicer and the A6 S-Line is better equipped so I'd like to keep my options open at ths stage.

Thanks

PS - I have a 5 day test drive booked with an A6 S-Line booked from the end of this week so that should prove interesting.

Edited by a900ss on 26/02/2012 at 17:49

A5 Sportback opinions please (and new shape A6) - daveyjp
IIRC A5 sportback is only a four seater, if this matters to you.
A5 Sportback opinions please (and new shape A6) - Roly93
Thanks PS - I have a 5 day test drive booked with an A6 S-Line booked from the end of this week so that should prove interesting.

Thats about 4.85 days longer than I ever spent choosing my next company car !

The new A6 is really nice and to be honest the 5 series is dull now compared to the Audi's. I have a new A4 Avant and it is very comfortable and the same chassis as the A5. Were I to change now I would probably go for an A5 ratrher than another estate. I havent driven an A6 yet but hey look great inside and out. I would not go for the S-line if yopu want comfotr though, just stick with the SE.

You are lucky to be working for a company that still has such a good car scheme in this day and age !!

A5 Sportback opinions please (and new shape A6) - Happy Blue!

Friend of mine had a similar choice (albeit higher spec engines and quattro). He went down the A6 route simply due to more cabin space. The S-line ride is still firm and noticably firmer than my S-Max on 18" wheels and 45 section tyres.

A5 Sportback opinions please (and new shape A6) - a900ss

The S-line ride is still firm and noticably firmer than my S-Max on 18" wheels and 45 section tyres.

Believe me, I am not expecting an A5 S-Line to ride anywhere near as good as an S-Max running on 18's. I had a 2007 S-Max from new for about 18 months and 55k that had 18’s. The S-Max rode very well in my opinion, I would even go so far to say as limo like.
A5 Sportback opinions please (and new shape A6) - Happy Blue!

You may find a nice Titanium X Mondeo with the 2.0LPT (200bhp) and Powershift to be a far better car for you than any old Audi!

A5 Sportback opinions please (and new shape A6) - Avant

Maybe the answer with Audis is to go for the SE with softer suspension and smaller wheels, and then add on the extras that you actually want.