What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall/Ford - Service schedules - GNE89E

I'd be grateful for some advice on what to look out for when looking at service histories and invoices, as I'm going to be buying a car in the next few weeks.

I'd like to spend about £3500 on either a Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa (they seem to be plentiful and relatively affordable), so I think I'd be looking at a 2005-2007 model. The smaller the (petrol) engine the better, so I am probably looking at a Fiesta 1.25, or a Corsa 1.0 or 1.2, though I am aware of a snapped camshaft issue on Corsa 1.2 engines. I won't do enough miles to justify a diesel engine.

My concern is that I do not know what should have been replaced/checked on these cars at specific mileages, and I would like to know as I'm keen to buy a car that's been properly maintained according to service schedules. I am thinking particularly of major replacements such as timing belts, and so forth; I realise that this specific item may not be applicable to the engines I am looking at.

I would be very grateful for any advice on this.

Vauxhall/Ford - Service schedules - ChannelZ

Avoid the 1 litre Corsa, it's beyond crap. The 1.2 is OK, I had no problems with mine, but again it was pretty slow in my 2004 Corsa C. I drove a 1.2 Corsa D when my Vectra was in getting ruined, and it was OK for round the town, but a dead loss on the motorway. The 1.0 and 1.2 are both timing chain, but the tensioners are rubbish in them so actually that's a downside on those engines.

The 1.25 engine in the Fiesta is a wee gem, a Yamaha designed engine. They're revvy, and pretty economical, and I personally think they're better than the 1.4 Fiesta. The 1.25 is 100k timing belt from memory.

Vauxhall/Ford - Service schedules - Bobbin Threadbare

Avoid the 1 litre Corsa, it's beyond crap.

I second that. I did most of my driving lessons in a 1.0 Corsa and it was uncomfortable and naff.

The Fiesta is a good bet.

Vauxhall/Ford - Service schedules - NARU

I know that Vauxhall had a load of Corsa's snapping their camshafts. Were those problems over by 2005?

Vauxhall/Ford - Service schedules - Avant

The problems mainly affected cars made IN 2005: there seems to be little information about whether 2006 models still had the problem. Maybe a Vauxhall owners' (sufferers'?) forum might help.

Meanwhile go for a 1.25 petrol Fiesta and if you choose one that's been looked after, as far as you csn tell, and has a full service history, you should do fine. The Fiesta (including the previous shape that you are probably looking at) is a lot more fun to drive than the Corsa.

Vauxhall/Ford - Service schedules - GNE89E

Many thanks for the replies. Looked at a Fiesta today and preferred it to the Corsa parked next door to it. Need to keep my eyes open now as the good ones seem to go. Will report on progress.

Vauxhall/Ford - Service schedules - 1litregolfeater

In defence of the 1.0 litre Corsa engine, I would mention that it is identical to the 1.2, apart from a different stroke and bore, and one less cylinder. So lighter.

Neither is noteworthy for performance, reliability, or economy.

Most Corsas fail due to poor maintenance, with a small sump holding 3 litres, poor ownership and extended service intervals, a fully stamped history won't tell you much.

A Corsa with more frequent oil changes than those recommended is likely to be in better shape.

They fail with high oil consumption due to failed rings at any mileage and there is no easy way to tell with a casual test drive. But any start up rattle or blue smoke, walk away.