What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Which of the three would you buy? - balleballe

I have to make a choice in the next couple of days as to which car to buy. Any help would be appreciated. All cars have FSH and are roughly the same price (give or take a couple of hundred)

First car is an 06 plate volvo S40 2.0d SE with 75k on the clock

Second car is an 06 plate VW Jetta S 1.9d with 105k on the clock. It had a new clutch and DMF not too long ago

Third is an 05 plate Honda civic SE 1.7 cdti with around 90k on the clock

I intend to run either car into the ground - so resale doesnt matter much to me. The only car above with cruise control is the S40

Edited by balleballe on 22/02/2012 at 16:40

Which of the three would you buy? - jamie745

Only one of the three i've driven is the S40. My girlfriend has a 55 plate S40 with the 2.0 diesel and she's had no problems with it. Its a nice car, thats the one i'd have.

Which of the three would you buy? - gordonbennet

Honda for me, that model Civic has to be one of the best quality mass produced hatchbacks of all time.

Which of the three would you buy? - Bobbin Threadbare

The Civic is a good option.

If it was me buying, I'd be going for the Volvo though, because it would be the lowest insurance for me by a decent amount.

The volvo is group 10 - the jetta is group 6. Not sure on the civic though

The volvo is group 10 - the jetta is group 6. Not sure on the civic though

Volvo is still cheaper for me. I have no idea why.

Only one of the three i've driven is the S40. My girlfriend has a 55 plate S40 with the 2.0 diesel and she's had no problems with it. Its a nice car, thats the one i'd have.

55 plate could be one of 3 engine variations. Dont suppose you know what MPG she gets on a run/around town?

55 plate could be one of 3 engine variations. Dont suppose you know what MPG she gets on a run/around town?

I think its the 2.0D SE. It has leather seats if that helps!

Not sure about round-town economy as she does a lot of driving on dual carraigeways and motorways and it generally gets 45-50mpg.

However i should point out her driving style is somewhat 'brisk.'

Which of the three would you buy? - Avant

They are all good cars with the potential to last well, provided that the previous owner(s) have driven them considerately as well as having them serviced. I think your best bet is to look at each one carefully and see any signs of care or neglect, both from the way they drive and from looking at exterior and interior.

The VW Jetta S is the base model, so the other two may have more equipment. The Volvo will be the most comfortable, and other things being equal is probably the one I'd go for in your position.

Finally - are you sure you need a diesel? If the Civic S-type 2.0 petrol (old shape) was one of the choices I'd go for that. Honda petrols have a better reloiability record than any of the three above.

They are all good cars with the potential to last well, provided that the previous owner(s) have driven them considerately as well as having them serviced. I think your best bet is to look at each one carefully and see any signs of care or neglect, both from the way they drive and from looking at exterior and interior.

The VW Jetta S is the base model, so the other two may have more equipment. The Volvo will be the most comfortable, and other things being equal is probably the one I'd go for in your position.

Finally - are you sure you need a diesel? If the Civic S-type 2.0 petrol (old shape) was one of the choices I'd go for that. Honda petrols have a better reloiability record than any of the three above.

I dont 'need' a diesel - but i'll be doing around 20-23k per year so I thought I'd try a diesel (first one).

My heart tells me to buy the new shape mazda 6 or an accord (type S 2.4 I-vtec)

I was at one point thinking of a honda accord CDTI, excellent MPG and petrol-like performance. But I can't seem to find one on autotrader where the seller knows if the clutch/DMF has been replaced or not (weakness of the CDTI's). And there's no decent ones on auction before friday

I have until friday to make up my mind!

Best to avoid the diesel Mazda 6 (although the petrols seem to be excellent): there have been all manner of horror stories about the 2.0 diesel, and opinions seem to vary as to whether the 2.2 is also liable to failure, probably becaus it hasn't been around long enough.

If Iet the new shape mazda 6 with the 2.0d at a good price - then i'll just have the DPF removed. Sin speed offer a 'smoke correction' service all included in their DPF removal so it wont fail the MOT

apparantly - removing the DPF may also help the life of the turbo

Which of the three would you buy? - gordonbennet

'''Sin speed offer a 'smoke correction' service all included in their DPF removal so it wont fail the MOT'''

Well they would say that, they are selling you a service.

Got a guarantee in writing, including future changes to MOT tests?

You don't need to buy a poor product where the maker washes their hands of responsibility, other makers, eg Toyota and Honda take a somewhat different approach to customer care.

Which of the three would you buy? - HandCart

If you're going to be doing 23,000 miles a year, are you sure the Honda would be comfortable enough? -their ride and refinement aren't always the best.

Volvos on the other hand have a very good reputation for being comfortable.

Which of the three would you buy? - barney100
You will run the Volvo into the ground? Most Volvo's go on longer than their owners!
Which of the three would you buy? - ChannelZ
You will run the Volvo into the ground? Most pre-Ford Volvo's go on longer than their owners!

Editted for accuracy!

<whispers> Go for the Mazda 6......!! I'd have another in a flash.

But it would be a petrol 6, I'm certain.

So as it turns out

The jetta's turbo is on it's way out - so walked away

The volvo (55 plate) was last serviced by volvo on november 2009 @109k (volvo uk database) yet the trade seller rekons it has 80k on the clock - so didn't even bother going down

I'm thinking I should just buy another petrol.

Either - another mazda 6 (after 2005) in TS2 2.0 petrol, a mazda 3 TS2/sport or an accord I-vtec.

Due to their depreciation, but excellentness (if thats even a word) - i'm swaying towards another mazda 6

but excellentness (if thats even a word) - i'm swaying towards another mazda 6

It is now.

Which of the three would you buy? - corax

Either - another mazda 6 (after 2005) in TS2 2.0 petrol, a mazda 3 TS2/sport or an accord I-vtec.

Due to their depreciation, but excellentness (if thats even a word) - i'm swaying towards another mazda 6

The petrol Accord's are excellent reliable cars but if you have the need to lug stuff about, especially awkward objects, the boot would forever be frustrating.

The Mazda is more practical - huge hatchback and that clever seat folding mechanism.

I've thought about an Accord, thinking that I could compromise, but after having taken a dismantled wardrobe to the recycling centre in the Avensis amid countless other lugging jobs, I'd regret it. And the Accord estate is a bit odd looking.

Which of the three would you buy? - Mike H

The volvo (55 plate) was last serviced by volvo on november 2009 @109k (volvo uk database) yet the trade seller rekons it has 80k on the clock - so didn't even bother going down

I'd be having a word in his ear - either he's lying about the 80k or, if he's not, he needs alerting about the real mileage. Might make him think in more ways than one.....

Which of the three would you buy? - Ben 10

And what about these three: Lexus IS200d, Mercedes C Class Sport 220 CDI, BMW 3 series 320d ?

And what about these three: Lexus IS200d, Mercedes C Class Sport 220 CDI, BMW 3 series 320d ?

The engine on the 220d has head gasket problems (toyota/lexus) extended the warranty. People are finding pretty bad economy too. The 6th gear is very highly geared and useless under 80mph

The C-class has an excellent engine - but new ones have had problems with the injectors (HJ's writeup)

The 320d is a good engine - but like any, has its fair share of problems

Have you test driven them all?

because I needed a car ASAP I narrowed it down to either another mazda 6 (55 plate) or a mazda 3 (04 plate) - as good examples of both were available locally

I bought the mazda 3 as inside it was suprisingly roomy, same engine as my mazda 6 - yet weighs 160kg less so hopefully it will be more frugal and 'nippy'. It's revs a little high though. 60mph in 5th gives around 3000 revs. Is this normal?

Yes, that's 20 mph per 1,000 rpm: when 5-speed gearboxes first came in that was thought to be quite relaxing on a motorway.

A 6 speed turbo diesel can sit at 1200rpm at 70mph. I personally think 3000 is a bit rattly.

Yes, that's 20 mph per 1,000 rpm: when 5-speed gearboxes first came in that was thought to be quite relaxing on a motorway.

Relaxing if I dont exceed 70 (3.5k)

It 'feels' like it wants another gear. At least they addressed the issue in 2006 with the facelift.

I'm only keeping this car for a year or so anyway - so it'll have to do

I always think that about my 6. My husband drove it the other day and went to go into 6th gear, which isn't there! We reckon it 'feels' like it needs another as well.

Yeah - I think Mazda knew that as well - which is why the facelifted 6 (2005) had 6 gears

I suppose the good think is there's no need to downshift when overtaking on the motorway

Which of the three would you buy? - Ben 10

The engine on the 220d has head gasket problems (toyota/lexus) extended the warranty. People are finding pretty bad economy too. The 6th gear is very highly geared and useless under 80mph

The C-class has an excellent engine - but new ones have had problems with the injectors (HJ's writeup)

The 320d is a good engine - but like any, has its fair share of problems

Have you test driven them all?

No not yet bb. The Lexus always seems to come near the top in surveys. It will also depend on the rear legroom. I'll cross that bridge when I test drive them. BMW seem to be short on "toys" and a bit bland. They appear to all have faults, but I would like to know from fleet users which of the 3 are less likely to break or are better to drive. Hope bb you are satisfied with your decision?

I've driven the lexus - its roughly the same size inside as a 3-series. Rear legroom is limited.

My seat is normally pretty far back (but not all the way back) and i'd imagine only a child would be able to fit in the space behind me

The C-class is probably the 'roomiest' of the 3 inside the cabin. I Just hate the awkward 'foot' handbreak design

Besides the poor quality of the sound system in the mazda 3 - im pretty happy with my car - yes.

im pretty happy with my car - yes.

That's the most important thing!

Sad to hear its sound system isn't as banging as the 6 though.