What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - Ethan Edwards

Not wishing to upset the apple cart over at the other thread so I started this one.

One of these A1's passed me on the A12 this morning- white with Essex dirt on it..

Man are they ugly.

All they say to me is look I'm a pretentious badge snob with no cash. Traveller chic if you like.

Personally I think the Golf is head and shoulders better looking. Under the hideous party frock they are probably essentially the same vehicle.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - grimep

There's one that tools up and down my road with a fake racing number 1 on the side and racing decals. The numptie who drives it is always flooring it. Almost as badly driven as BMW 1-series and especially the new VW Scirocco... grim little expensive sporty styling exercises aimed at prats who think they're driving a race.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - Buster Cambelt

Well I don't own one but I really like them and they are exceptionally well screwed together. Unfortunately you can't help who buys them and they are basically the same platform as the Polo so quite a bit smaller than the Golf.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - xtrailman

I dont like the front grill on any Audi, they just look vulgar.

While the golf just looks dated.

IMO

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - balleballe

IMO, they're for people that want the 'status' but are not prepared/able to afford the larger and more expensive offerings. I find the A3 a tad on the cramped side so i'd hate to imagine what these are like on the inside

I dont think they're ugly - they look quite appeaing to me; but 'tis a subjective thing

I'm waiting for the A1 drivers to start behaving like and driving like 1-series drivers; whereby they think they have a V8 under the bonnet!

Reliability is likely to be average - just like all VAG cars nowadays. Will be interesting to see how long it takes till 'problems' emerge

Edited by balleballe on 16/02/2012 at 22:12

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - TeeCee

I'm waiting for the A1 drivers to start behaving like and driving like 1-series drivers; whereby they think they have a V8 under the bonnet!

1 Series drivers are a hoot on the Autobahn. They drive at warp speed in the outside lane, just like their bretheren with real cars. The difference is that they go screaming apes*** if you don't get out of the way before they have to brake, as it's going to take them another quarter of an hour to wind the the thing back up to those speeds......

Very, very funny. If you really must buy a car as a willy substitute, it makes sense to ensure it has the sphericals to back it up.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - Roly93

IMO, they're for people that want the 'status' but are not prepared/able to afford the larger and more expensive offerings. I find the A3 a tad on the cramped side so i'd hate to imagine what these are like on the inside

You raise a good point there about anyone who buys the basement model of any of the prestige marques and I tend to agree. However I didn't find the A1 cramped on the inside, but it is after all only a 3 door hatch.

Ive never sat in one so I don't really know - but I dont imagine it being much smaller in the front than an A3 - otherwise nobody of any decent size would fit.

Im a 6 foot, 17-18 stone bloke so If I could help it; id never drive a 'small' car

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - 1litregolfeater

I don't think I've ever seen one, seen lots of BMW 1 series though, that are quite nice in saloon format. They are the 3 series for today. So perhaps the Audi A1 is the Audi A4 of tomorrow.

Badge snobs? Surely not.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - r2esy

Not wishing to upset the apple cart over at the other thread so I started this one.

One of these A1's passed me on the A12 this morning- white with Essex dirt on it..

Man are they ugly.

All they say to me is look I'm a pretentious badge snob with no cash. Traveller chic if you like.

Personally I think the Golf is head and shoulders better looking. Under the hideous party frock they are probably essentially the same vehicle.

I would not consider myself a badge snob. I have owned 8 or 9 different makes of car over the years, some prestige brands and other non prestige brands. I have always made a decision based on how the car fits my needs as well as refinement, performance etc..

I am seriously considering buying an A1. I can afford a car twice as expensive but only need a car the size of the A1. Yes I can get a Polo for less money or a Fiesta. I have looked at both but prefer the A1 for reasons as mentioned above.

I had never considered the badge whilst looking at these cars and to be honest I had never realised that there was likely to be this kind of narrow minded and ignorant attitude towards drivers of A1s.

It's one thing to say you think they are ugly as that is a valid opinion, however some of the other comments are offensive as are other comments in this thread. Why are people wanting to buy an entry level Audi or BMW or Merc so maligned? I guess I just don't get it...

Perhaps you can tell us what you drive so I can look into what cool, non-pretentious people with exquisite taste drive?

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - Tonto1

I'd have to say that they are one of the very few cars that manage to look better on screen than in the flesh. There's an owner of one in the next road from me, and whilst I would not call the car ugly, it's certainly (IMHO) no looker. Owners are also paying a big premium for what is a dressed up Polo - a car that HJ points out can be purchased for sub £10k with a £500 discount and free insurance.

If you want a small car with a bit of character, you still can;t beat a Mini Cooper or Fiat 500.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - paul0202

Mini Cooper has a crap quality interior and the Fiat 500 is a girls car, my sister owns one Abarth 500, sounds nice but still girly.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - Tonto1

The 500 is a bit girly, but then the A1 already seems to be building a reputation as a bit of a 'The only way is Essex' car.

Agreed the Mini interior looks a bit cheap in places, but having owned 2 of them, they do in fact wear incredibly well and they are at least a bit different.

Minis, a bit different?!!!!!!!?

Minis drive past my front window at work approximately every 3.25 seconds. In fact today I've seen more Minis than I have human beings.

Minis are like kids. Everyone thinks that theirs is special when in fact everyone's got them and they're just expensive and annoying....
A towie car? Lol... They go for Evoques, X5's etc. You need to get out more lmfao.
Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - Bobbin Threadbare

Mini Cooper has a crap quality interior and the Fiat 500 is a girls car, my sister owns one Abarth 500, sounds nice but still girly.

A girls' car. Riiiight.

It is, as i said my sister owns one... Its not fast and its not manly.
It is, as i said my sister owns one... Its not fast and its not manly.

I was commenting on the sweeping generalisation, being a girl myself.

I agree... I could buy fast high end car, but why would i want to? More depreciation, higher fuel, tax, insurance etc etc.

The A1 looks like a great little car... High quality interior, great mpg, free road tax on the 1.6 TDI, free 5 year servicing, quality build, high residuals and low running costs!

Spec a Polo up with a similar spec and you will find it is a few hundred pounds more expensive than the A1!

You can buy a new A1 for around 12k... The car has won awards, one was best luxury small car? The other car of the year?

Looks a pretty nice car to me, the Golf looks boring as hell...

Edited by Avant on 31/03/2012 at 11:58

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - unthrottled

I think they look OK. But do they have speed limiters on? I've yet to see one do more than 45mph!

Lol, twit!
Yeah i see loads of Supercharged 1.4 TFSI 185's struggling to hit 45!

Next you will be saying the 2.0 Quattro will be driven by pensioners!

Yeah i see loads of Supercharged 1.4 TFSI 185's struggling to hit 45!

Supercharged? VW dumped that ages ago.

I didn't say the cars weren't capable of going over 45, just the owners seemed disinclined to!

Maybe because most buy them for economy reasons!
Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - schneip
. Why are people wanting to buy an entry level Audi or BMW or Merc so maligned? I guess I just don't get it...

... I don't get this either. I drive a BMW 320 dES (E46, 2005). This was the lead in model, bought 3yrs old with 28,000 miles on the clock BMW Approved Used. It had the remainder of 5yrs/50,000 miles servicing on it, 4 new Dunlop Sports and was immaculate. The car has the sports suspension, but no Cruise Control. It has manual A/C, not climate (hardly a big deal). But then... I bought the BMW because it looks great (still) and is a great drive. I enjoy driving so much, I don't actually like cruise control as it makes me feel detached (I've driven hire cars with it). I didn't want leather. How many leather interiors look awful after a couple of years, especially if the last driver was er.... obese? Also, this car cost just £10,800. I'm much happier with this than with whatever Ford/Vauxhall/insert brand here that I'd have gotten for the same money.

Also, whilst some might sneer because my BMW was 'only the lead in model', my take on it is that a lot of the car is actually the same as if it was a higher model. The 320 Sport had toys on it, but the majority of the bodywork - hell, even the suspension and engine - were the same. I've got the same dash that makes the driver feel special and the drive is fantastic. Yet I don't have the depreciation of higher spec models. And I can sleep happily at night knowing that if I wanted to, I could go out and buy a 2012 330d outright tomorrow. But the knowledge that I can do this actually feels better than blowing my cash; particularly as I already have a BMW that makes me smile whenever I turn the key.

I must add that maybe I AM a bit of a badge snob; but in my own way. I look down my nose at Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen and even Volkswagen (over-rated and over-priced) and Audi (VW in drag). But I look down at these brands in relation to Hyundai and Kia! My second car is now a 13yr old Hyundai. It's outstandingly good despite it's modest nature and makes a complete mockery of our experiences with the aforementioned brands. And this little opinion of mine seems to be supported by the likes of Which? Car magazine. That's good enough for me.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - Avant

Like a Mini, an A1 seems at first glance expensive for what it is. But - also like a Mini, the A1 is likely to hold its value better than almost anything else of its size.

SWMBO is on her fourth Mini, and all the first three have been worth 80 % of original cost after two years in PX for a new one. If when I retire in a few years and can live with a small car, I'd seriously consider an A1.

Looks can be only a matter of opinion.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - davecooper
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but for me, the A1 looked dated from the day it was launched. It is also becoming very common and it is expensive. The Far East is the only place I would look for a supermini at the moment.
Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - HandCart

I don't quite find them ugly, but when they came out and were splashed across the magazine covers with "Audi's sensational new baby!" or somesuch, my own reaction was one of utter boredom - it's just SO derivative - exactly what you'd expect they would have made. At least the old A2, and the old Merc A class, had some reasoning behind their relatively daring shapes.

The Kia Rio is a better STYLED car.

Of course if you have lots of money and would buy an A4 but only need something small, what else are you going to get, if it isn't to be the default Mini? An Aston Cygnet isn't properly practical enough. There's an opening there for some manufacturer... Alfa might have pulled it off if the Mito had been tidier. What about that new Chrysler (rebadged Lancia) ?

I can't make my mind up about luxury small cars. On one hand, given the size of our roads, bigger is not always better-the American model doesn't work very well.

But on the other hand, a lot of the charm of a small car is that it is light, nimble, cheap and fun. Once you add on the luxuries, none of that is true any more and you're left with a car that's almost as heavy and expensive as a 'proper' one, but much less practical because the backseat and boot are for decorative purposes only.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - 2.0Tsi
Well if some people think the A1 is ugly and not worth the money, do they want to also tell the OP what to have for dinner? It's all down to taste, and what people want to spend THEIR money on, it's a democratic society.

How else could we explain people buying the Nissan Joke :)
Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - RicardoB

I still chuckle at the comment someone made on here a few weeks ago pointing out its remarkable similarity to the Austin Allegro.

I don't dislike the look of it, but would be unlikely to go for one if I was in the market, because it has an Audi badge, and people might think I'm an ignorant prat. Plus I might be expected to drive inches from the car in front with Clarkson's council house DRLs blazing.

Plus I might be expected to drive inches from the car in front with Clarkson's council house DRLs blazing.

That's unfair. Not all Audi drivers tailgate. Lots of them pootle at about 20% below the posted speed limit because they've spent all their money on a new car and now can't afford any fuel. But Geoff from accounts is very impressed, so it's worth it.

There seems an awful lot of vitriolic comments and generalisations made on here about Audi drivers. Does the make of car someone drives really encompass their personality or say something of their character?

It's an interesting idea...if it does I would be intrigued to hear what the Audi haters drive that portrays a positive vibe and suggests that they are an all round great person...please enlighten us...unless of course you're just full of s*** and just like criticising others for the sake of it?

I like BMW drivers. They drive German so they're always on time-especially when their destination is a sunbed.

Citroen drivers smell of onions and are always on strike.

Steer well clear of Fiat drivers though. Italian. Hot tempered and lascivious.

Grow up! Light hearted stereotypes are just a bit of fun. Go and complain to Msssss Harriet Harperson or some other hand wringer.

Post removed as it included personal insults. Welcome to the forum, r2esy, but we don't allow rudeness to other posters even if you disagree with them.

There's nothing wrong with light-hearted stereotyping of car brands (if Jamie sees this he will have a go at Skoda drivers!) but no diredt personal insults please.

Fair comment....not sure I see the difference though between insulting someone for the car they drive or insulting them for their personality defects or emotional inadequacies...

Still, I assume you're an admin so that's your call.

Yes it has an Allegro looking rear end...

I dont see many A1's tailgating people lol, theres clowns in all breeds of cars not just Audi's!

The Audi bashers always go looking for something to try and make their fail car purchase look good... Is it the effect of their cars bad depreciation? A bit jel that they havent got cool looking lights? :D

If you buy secondhand depreciation puts a smile on your face.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - sandy56

well not a lot of useful info but that was quite entertaining.

and it is a girls car

You can buy brand new and Not lose a penny if you know what to buy and when ;)

I agree there are clowns in all makes of cars

I have nothing against Audi drivers in general - but some cars are bound to attract certain type of drivers;

For example Honda attract (although they are changing this now) the older generation, as do Volvo

Audi attract a wide variety of people, but generally speaking there are a few people that will buy an A1;

Those looking for a small runabout, or a small car in general.

Those that want the 'prestige' of an audi, but cannot afford the larger ones. It is these people that will most likely be annoying boy racer types.

Similar to the 1-series. It was introduced and the boy racers who couldnt afford 'proper' BMW's bought them and act like plonkers of the highest order. It is likely the A1 will follow this trend as it is a competing vehicle to the 1-series.

Certain people buy certain cars and thats just the way it is

Edited by balleballe on 31/03/2012 at 12:06

Similar to the 1-series. It was introduced and the boy racers who couldnt afford 'proper' BMW's bought them and act like plonkers of the highest order. It is likely the A1 will follow this trend as it is a competing vehicle to the 1-series.

Interesting. I thought the rationale was, that with each new generation, the 3 series had gradually piled on the pounds until it was no longer a compact car, so a new compact car had to be created. So the new 1 series is what the 3 series used to be. This makes either the 1 or the 3 series redundant. I can't decide which. Is the 3 series a great, compact, executive saloon or an oversized 2+2?

If you want a proper family car, you need a 5 series. If you want a 2 seater for fun, a Z4 or a 1 series is better than a 3 series. Is Britain's most popular car in fact useless?!

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - madf

I once owned an A4. Overpriced and unreliable and noisy. Dealer was good (Audi Stoke)

I then saw the light.

But horses for courses and of course Audi drivers come on here and post to show us what they are like..and have their posts removed....:-)

Edited by madf on 31/03/2012 at 13:38

Yeah you're right.

P.S- is geekoid freak a personal insult?

No matter what anyone says or thinks... The A1 has won awards! Its not the best looker, but it is the best small car out there atm.

The only idiots out there are the ones spending 30k plus on a car with a bit of power and high road tax/servicing/insurance!

Depreciation and constant filling the tank is a b***h!

The haters are the ones described above, or the ones who cant afford an A1, the rest need to go find a hobby.

The A1 has won awards!

So did the vauxhall Zafira. And the Allegro. Automotive awards are like GCSEs. Everyone gets 'em!

The haters are the ones described above, or the ones who cant afford an A1, the rest need to go find a hobby.

The only vitriol to be found is in your posts. No one else is doing any hating.

The A1 has won awards!

So did the vauxhall Zafira. And the Allegro. Automotive awards are like GCSEs. Everyone gets 'em!

The only vitriol to be found is in your posts. No one else is doing any hating.

" All they say to me is look I'm a pretentious badge snob with no cash. Traveller chic if you like."

"grim little expensive sporty styling exercises aimed at prats who think they're driving a race."

"it has an Audi badge, and people might think I'm an ignorant prat. Plus I might be expected to drive inches from the car in front with Clarkson's council house DRLs blazing."

"That's unfair. Not all Audi drivers tailgate. Lots of them pootle at about 20% below the posted speed limit because they've spent all their money on a new car and now can't afford any fuel. But Geoff from accounts is very impressed, so it's worth it."

"Grow up! Light hearted stereotypes are just a bit of fun. Go and complain to Msssss Harriet Harperson or some other hand wringer."

You can add difficulty reading to your list of special needs.

Edited by r2esy on 31/03/2012 at 15:48

You can add difficultly reading to your list of special needs.

Making light of people with learning difficulties-not very PC, is it?

Lots of them pootle at about 20% below the posted speed limit because they've spent all their money on a new car and now can't afford any fuel.

I wrote that so I'l defend it.

Like most people, I get exasperated when I get stuck behind slow drivers. But then I started noticing that a most of the slow cars were not old bangers with a scraggy fiver's worth of fuel in the tank. The slowest cars were virtually always new ones; often quite sporty models.

Now, why would one put up with all the side effects of an expensive new car sitting on low profiles, and then dawdle along??

There is no rational explanation for this behaviour!

Edited by unthrottled on 31/03/2012 at 15:55

I never said I was PC...that was your assertion.

I was making fun out of you, not people with learning difficulties unless you actually do have learning difficulties? In which case I apologise.

Since you are now validating your opinion rather than simply making offensive flippant remarks then I will also dispense with the insults. I'm aware I'm a little childish but what can you do...it's the way god made me.

The A1 may have won awards - im not denying it's credentials as a car - just the type of people it is likely to accept - clearly you are not grasping this concept?

'idiots' who spend 30k on a car are likely the ones who can afford to do so - so it's their choice at the end of the day. Who are we to call them idiots because they dont care so much for MPG or upkeep costs?

I am not an Audi 'hater' I am a 'stupid boy racer' hater regardles of the type of car they may drive

I think most could afford an A1 - and that's the main problem here....

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - TeeCee

but it is the best small car out there atm.

Odd. Whenever I've seen that plaudit used recently it's been in connection with the Alfa MiTo. When it comes to styling there's no contest, the Alfa has that in the bag. I wouldn't mind betting it's rather more fun to drive too, Alfas usually are.

And indeed unthrottled, that is why some people who just want a small/compact car buy a 1-series. Unfortunantly they are not the only type of people who buy a 1-series

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - HandCart

Different car marques inevitably produce different emotional reactions in the populace, and some reactions are positive, some are negative. When choosing a particular marque or model, you are also opting to take-on the weight of dealing with any negative vibes associated with it.

Personally, I don't think the back-face of an A1 looks so much like an Allegro as really quite a lot like a Proton Savvy.
Now: check your emotional-response to the Proton Savvy... ...see, you're doing it too, right now.

One marque that perhaps somehow managed not to receive too much negativity from any of society's strata was Saab.

Good as BMWs and Audis may be, it's particularly sad then that their potential buyers will henceforth be denied the ability to opt-out of 'all that perceived image stuff'.

One marque that perhaps somehow managed not to receive too much negativity from any of society's strata was Saab.

It got plenty from me! I still dance on it's grave.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - madf

There was nothing wrong with SAAB that closure would not cure..

"One marque that perhaps somehow managed not to receive too much negativity from any of society's strata was Saab."

Pre-GM, that was very true. Not having an image or stereotype was a plus point for Saab - at least while the product was good. Perhaps the maker that gets nearest to that now - with the Swedish tank image long gone - is Volvo.

Not having an image or stereotype was a plus point for Saab

Of course, Saab never tried to make any capital out of their reputation as being the car of choice amongst the intelligentsia...

If that isn't pretence, I don't know what is!

Architects. Clarkson said architects. Black polo neck jumper, trendy glasses.

OK, Bobbin - so what would an architect drive now?

Something in between left-field (Citroen, Alfa) and respectable (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo) - which is just what pre-GM Saabs were.

You'll probably say a Mazda 6....

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - gordonbennet

If an architect was doing work for me and arrived in an Audi A1 he'd soon be my ex architect, i'd hope for more sense of grace balance and style than that.

I won't say a Mazda 6! (but anyone would think I was a fan of that car)

I think that architects should now be driving Alfas. Suitably unusual. Or riding a bike. I hasten to add that I don't know any architects and don't wish to offend them.

The only one that I know drives an accord 2.4 type S

The only one that I know drives an accord 2.4 type S

Also suitably unusual!! I know a former town planner............he drives a Focus.

Le Corbusier would drive an Evoque.

I'll have to go for Ford Model T for Frank Lloyd Wright.

Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - kaydee
Have just been to test drive one. The 122hp 1.4 for wifey she likes them,overall impressions ,competent ,dull ,boring ,forgettable ,likely to soon travel in herds (like the minis).wifey has owned Mini cooper s,Fast and very uncomfortable poor build quality common as muck,BMW Z3 nice shape shakes rattles and creaks,Ford puma, stunning little motor,very sad to see it go,built surprisingly well,latest Abarth Punto Evo,very quick very good looking handles beautifully,and again surprisingly well assembled ,no rattles,squeaks,and very reliable,arguably the best she has owned,there's a turn up !.But the A1 I think it will suit her but dull and not built quite as well as they would have us believe.
Audi A1- Non owners views wanted - bear807
Based on my past motorway experience, I don't really like Audi driver to be honest. Especially a3 drivers, regardless of men or women, they think they are driving some kind of rocketship? Tailgating, change lane without signaling, came in from motorway straight to 3rd lane, cut in the lane as soon there is space enough for Susan Boyle To squeeze through. I feel like opening their door and punch them on their face, every time they act like this. Sure there are some good examples, but the bad is more than the good. This is way before a1 is introduced, so I'm not surprise to see some a1 driver act like this in future

Now to summarise the a1 IMO.I can only associate Red a1+blacktop = sexy OL! You get what I mean, the back looks too curve, the front doesn't look man enough. However the interior quality is superior, is way beyond for it's class, IMO I think is better than a4! Why not consider polo, I know is a little bit bored inside, but all layout is sensible and will not date as fast as the funky fiesta. The exterior looks similar to golf but more bold. I owned one now, and quite happy so far!