What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Publicly operated speed guns - SuaveMick46
This morning a member of the public jumped out in front of me brandishing a radar gun, calling me a c*#t and telling me he was reporting me to the police. He was not wearing a hi vis and it was barely light, he then took a photo of me and showed me a reading of 36 mph on the gun. Is this legal? And can I receive a ticket in this manner?
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Publicly operated speed guns - thunderbird

Of course he can report you to the Police but they won't do anything. Would suggest you report his activity to the Police ASAP.

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Publicly operated speed guns - SuaveMick46
If I report him to police then can they give me a ticket? As I would have to admit to speeding to bring the complaint?
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Publicly operated speed guns - thunderbird
If I report him to police then can they give me a ticket? As I would have to admit to speeding to bring the complaint?

You can only be convicted using evidence from a calibrated speed gun. This "private" gun will not meet the requirements.

If it is an "official" gun you will be convicted anyway thus what have you got to loose. The persons attitude needs reporting regardless of the offence.

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Publicly operated speed guns - Dwight Van Driver

If 'it' was not in uniform (Plod/PSCO) then it might be a civilain posse organised with the authority of Plod whose role is to carry out a census of speeding in that particular area, noting offenders and reporting these back to Plod. Not for the purposes of prosecution but perhaps a warning letter.

Nevertheless it is worth having a word with Plod to see ifn they authorised and if so from what reported ^^^^^^^ then its an accident waiting to happen and they do not want that. Otherwise it may well be an idiot with delusions of granduer that wants to be brought to book.

dvd

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Publicly operated speed guns - concrete

I hardly think a civilian, even working to provide the police with data would be allowed to stop, approach, speak to any driver, never mind call them a c***! It sounds like a vigilante and I would inform your local police immediately, in writing, of every detail of the encounter. You have more chance of a ride on Flipper than to be prosecuted using the evidence of this oddball, so go ahead. Don't forget to thank him though. It seems you were speeding and had it been a real policeman you could have been fined. So a timely reminder to watch your speed in that area. Speeding may be a problem there and this person is trying to highlight the problem, albeit incorrectly, so the police may just start to take notice. Good luck and let us know what the police say. Cheers Concrete

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Publicly operated speed guns - Peter D

"And can I receive a ticket in this manner? " Did he actually give you ticket and if so what exactly is it.

Regards Peter

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Publicly operated speed guns - Duncan112

The most that will happen is that you will get a letter from the road safety partnership advising you of your speed and telling you that you will be reported if it happens again. I got one from Surrey about 6 months ago - except I haven't been to Surrey for years and never in my current car. Wrote back asking for details of the car and if possible a photograph as I wished to confirm that my car had not been cloned. No photograph and an admission that the registration mark sometinmes got recorded incorrectly and my details would be removed from the system.

I suspect that it was, as has been suggested above a vigilante with an unapproved device - might be worth driving past again with a passenger and camera?

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Publicly operated speed guns - concrete

Interesting Duncan, I would have thought the police would give a vigilante short shrift and a telling off. Good result from the challenge though. I think that if this oddball gave me a ticket I would pay with Monopoly money!! Cheers Concrete

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Publicly operated speed guns - 1litregolfeater

I thought it was a post about Germans in Mercedes pointing guns at us, I thought well, we've been there before.

But I was wrong, but kind of right, it was yet another post about well meaning but misguided British individuals pointing at the wrong side.

If I had been in a Mercedes I would have felt tempted to the spotlight, and slapped him about the head with my gauntlets.

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Publicly operated speed guns - Bromptonaut

When our local police do their community engagement stuff speeding is a top three public concern along with petty theft and ASB.

One response is community speedwatch. Local citizens are trained to use a speed gun and log the results. No legal powers but if same cars/excess speeds crop up again and again then owner will have a copper knocking on their door.

The folks who volunteer are the same ones as mow the churchyard. pick litter and plant bulbs on verges. Not wannabe coppers, public spirited types mostly retired and with time on their hands. Activity tends to take plae on sunny days between May and September. The idea that they'd look for confrontation or call anyone a cu*t is inconceivable.

My guess is the OP met some sort of vigilante. If there is an official CS scheme and he was part of it then he's way outside his box and needs reporting.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 18/02/2012 at 09:23