Ford C-MAX - Battery or Alternator - Mackem

Having problems keeping charge in battery,the battery is only 12 months old but with this cold spell the battery does not seem to hold its charge,could any advise whether this could be a battery problem or as i have been told it could be a alternator problem.

Sandra

Ford C-MAX - Battery or Alternator - piston power

You have not said if the charge light is lit when driving so im guessing it's not/

You need a multi meter on the battery when running and the voltage you want is between 13.6-14.2 approx for a charging battery.

If the battery is weak the reading will be lower till it builds up charge & a drop tester will check the battery condition.

My genuine vauxhall battery from new lasted 12 months and so did it's replacement!

Ford C-MAX - Battery or Alternator - Englishbullterrier

Cold weather will always find a duff cell in a battery, especially if it drops below zero. For each degree below "normal", the output (capacity to deliver) drops accordingly also.

Ford C-MAX - Battery or Alternator - elekie&a/c doctor

Is the car fitted with the correct battery?It is important that it is a calcium type as the Ford smart charge system can generate up to 16 volts under certain conditions.hth

Ford C-MAX - Battery or Alternator - 1litregolfeater

Thats true, some Fords now have very special charging systems.

Bloomin heck, the original in my Ford lasted 9 years and it's replacement is fine at 5 years, bought in panic from a factor. We thought the one in the Astra was knackered but it's fine in the Corsa, 12 years old. I think I overcharged the original Corsa battery but it still works at 10 years, the little thing started up the big nasty diesel ok last week.

What I think I'm trying to say is, generally, batteries will last ages, given a good charging system. If your charging system consistently leaves the battery under-charged, the battery will last less time. If it overcharges, it may fry a battery within a year.

Probably the alternator. But don't just replace it without working out, exactly, that the alternator is at fault. No good throwing money at it, you need to check everything that could lead to a drain on the battery, carefully and methodically.

Ford C-MAX - Battery or Alternator - Oli rag

Do you do all short journeys? A battery, especially in cold weather takes a bit of a bashing- cold start, heaters, heated windscreens etc, a good run is needed to put the charge back into it again.