What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus estate 1.6tdci(110) - dpf change - oscarcornwall

My 2006 focus is due for its 6 yr service and the Ford agent tells me that the DPF should be replaced at a cost of several hundred pounds.The car has only done 55k as opposed to the usual 75k or thereabouts. Is it really necessary to re;lace at this stage.

ford focus estate 1.6tdci(110) - dpf change - MikeTorque

According to the Ford service schedule for a 75k service the DPF is due for a change. However, if the DPF is still happily working then there is no need to change it, just get the work done that needs to be done.

ford focus estate 1.6tdci(110) - dpf change - thunderbird

According to the Ford service schedule for a 75k service the DPF is due for a change. However, if the DPF is still happily working then there is no need to change it, just get the work done that needs to be done.

When we last changed (had a Foucus 1.6 TDCi 110 Euro 3 - no DPF) the Ford delaer was quite adamant that a DPF change at 6 years was essential at 6 years regardless of mileage on any DPF equipped 1.6 TDCi 110 we bought. He quoted £1000 for the job which quite simply mean't we walked away and bought a different car that had no mileage/time related DPF replacement on the service schedule.

I asked why it would need changing if no lights were on and it was continuing to regen OK and all he would say was it was now a Ford requirement.

So a 6 year old Focus with 5000 miles on the clock would require a new DPF according to the Ford garage, I don't think so, common sense needs to be used.

Someone with a 6 year old car has to make a judgement on what needs replacing and what is ok. An alternator will fail at some stage but they can go at 10k or 110k, most folks leave them to go wrong before replacing them but others will replace as soon as they start making a noise to avoid a breakdown.

As long as the engine is running fine there's little point changing the DPF at this stage. However, were the DPF to start to fail to regenerate then diagnostics will be required to ascertain if it's reached its end of life, you should get a warning light come on if that is the case.

If you really want & need reliability and expect to keep the Focus for another 50k miles or so then you may need to replace the DPF during that time, in which case you could change the DPF sooner rather than later to ensure reliability.

It's your call whether you decide to change the DPF or not.

ford focus estate 1.6tdci(110) - dpf change - ChannelZ

Any local remappers will map out the DPF functions from the ECU, fit a DPF delete pipe, and remove all the Eoyls pipes etc for about £400. No more DPF problems, ever.

ford focus estate 1.6tdci(110) - dpf change - madf

Any local remappers will map out the DPF functions from the ECU, fit a DPF delete pipe, and remove all the Eoyls pipes etc for about £400. No more DPF problems, ever.

ANd hopefully the MOT will fail it.

DPFs are fitted to make air safer.. for humans...

ford focus estate 1.6tdci(110) - dpf change - thunderbird

"So a 6 year old Focus with 5000 miles on the clock would require a new DPF according to the Ford garage, I don't think so, common sense needs to be used."

If anyone had a 6 year old Focus diesel with 5000 miles on it would have already had several DPF replacements (unless it only went out once a month) since all would have been knackered long ago. That's a pretty poor argument.

It wasn't meant as a point for argument, 5000 miles is simply an illustration of mileage not the type of driving to achieve that mileage.

As for needing several DPF replacements that's simply scare tactics. I've run two used Focus 1.6 TDCi cars for any amount of short journeys without any journey being longer than 10 miles for week after week, cold, frosty, wet, hot, cold, whatever the weather, never had a single DPF or regen issue, the car simply keeps on working 10k miles after 10k miles. I drive with a light throttle using as low revs as possible which means the lowest issue of soot particulates and max mpg. When will I change the DPF ? When/if it needs changing and not before.

ford focus estate 1.6tdci(110) - dpf change - unthrottled

light throttle using as low revs as possible which means the lowest issue of soot particulates and max mpg.

No it doesn't!

ford focus estate 1.6tdci(110) - dpf change - unthrottled

DPFs are fitted to make air safer.. for humans...

That's a bit sanctimonious madf, does your Yaris have a DPF? :-)

unthrottled, you've posted 2 unhelpful responses which are unrelated to this topic. If you've nothing constructive to write about a technical topic then please restrain yourself from writing anything.

ford focus estate 1.6tdci(110) - dpf change - oscarcornwall

Hi everyone, thanks for feedback, I said mileage was about 55k ie 20k less than average so I'm not sure where 5000 came from

ford focus estate 1.6tdci(110) - dpf change - ic31420

Mine has nearly 100k has the original DPF and is still fine.

It will be changed..... when it fails and not before.

It's not a cambelt.