What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Focus battery warning light - BrummieGeorge

Hello, I'm posting because I've reached the end of my tether with my 02 1.8 Focus.

In the last month I've changed the battery, had 2 new alternators and had a wiring loom replaced.

When I'm starting it from cold, revs will drop and it will cut out with the battery light on unless I sit for a couple of mins with my foot on the accelerator. If I drive away without doing this it will cut out the first time I take my foot off the accelerator.

In general it seems to drive OK, but a couple of times the battery light has come on for a few seconds and then goes out. A couple of times I have seen the light come on as I'm braking at lights. The revs drop but it doesn't cut out entirely.

Also, my radio and odometer backlights flicker and dim when the headlights are on. This seems to get worse the longer I have been driving.

Given that I've had the alternator replaced twice, I'm assuming that the new (120 amp) one is on the way out too. I'm spending a fortune trying to find out the cause, so if anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

Ford Focus - Focus battery warning light - Peter.N.

Try monitering the battery voltage, connect a meter to the cigar lighter so you can see it in the car and when these problems arise note the voltage, should be around 14.4 volts under normal driving conditions, if it drops much below this you have a charging problem.

Ford Focus - Focus battery warning light - elekie&a/c doctor

I would think the battery/charge light coming on is the result of a problem not the cause.If the engine idle speed is too low and stalling,then the charge light will illuminate because the engine is turning too slowly.Suggest check the idle air control valve operation and also check for any split/broken engine breather pipes.hth

Ford Focus - Focus battery warning light - ChannelZ

Given that I've had the alternator replaced twice, I'm assuming that the new (120 amp) one is on the way out too. I'm spending a fortune trying to find out the cause, so if anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

I'm betting there's a bad earth somewhere in the car. That explains the flickering dash, and it could also explain the dying alternators.

Advice? Find a different garage who actually will investigate the fault, and not just keep throwing alternators at the problem.