Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 2.0D - Good Buy? - Dingle232

I have found an 08 plate S40 2.0D SE with 49k on the clock, 1 owner and full Volvo Service History. Car looks clean and looked after so just wanted to ask opinions about their reliability, servicing costs and general performance. I have never had a Volvo before so really am going into this blind. Previous owner was a company but not a lease company and, as above, the car looks and drives well.

Engine is the 136BHP unit (I think it's a Ford engine but not 100% sure?).

My alternative is an 09 plate i30 CRDi Premium with 14k miles, again 1 owner and full Hyundai history but of course there's the balance of their 5 year warranty. Have had i30's before and they are value for money if niot exactly the most exciting car (and Volvo is??).

Any help appreciated. If they are a bad idea I will look for a Focus or something.

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 2.0D - Good Buy? - balleballe

It's a PSA engine - used by the French in Peugeot and Citroen as well as Fords, mazdas and volvo's.

Most problems with this model were sorted by 2007 from my limited research.

Volvo services are expensive at dealers and so are parts for volvo's in general. You could need the same part as a focus - but pay twice the price

My mate has the same engine in an 09 plate focus titanium. He gets 36mpg around town, but around 50mpg on long runs (brim to brim figures)

It's essentially a focus in nicer clothing (to me anyway)

What's their reliability like? Is this the engine that needs a DPF replacement at 72k miles?

Reliability generally seems pretty good - probably the high end of average; but it depends on how the previous owner was

DPF will need to be replaced at some point - how long the original one lasts depends on your journey/driving style (and that of the previous owner)

When my mate had his last service he asked about the DPF - the chap at the servicing department said that recently they've had to replace quite a few DPF's - as the cars are now higher mileage. They will likely fail before 120k according to him

Edited by balleballe on 03/02/2012 at 21:18

I do around 15k miles a year combined A roads and motorway driving and probably plan to keep the car 2 years therefore taking it to around 75/80k miles. I would have it serviced by an independent I know when it needs it.

Just can't decide whether buying this is more of a risk (they always are) as there's just no way of knowing how it's been treated by the Company owner - could have been drive by one person or many, I just do not know.

Maybe a better bet would be the Hyundai i30 which I know has had 1 owner, private, and has been looked after. The Volvo is just a bit classier IMO,

I do around 15k miles a year combined A roads and motorway driving and probably plan to keep the car 2 years therefore taking it to around 75/80k miles. I would have it serviced by an independent I know when it needs it.

Just can't decide whether buying this is more of a risk (they always are) as there's just no way of knowing how it's been treated by the Company owner - could have been drive by one person or many, I just do not know.

Maybe a better bet would be the Hyundai i30 which I know has had 1 owner, private, and has been looked after. The Volvo is just a bit classier IMO,

You're probably better off with a petrol to be perfectly honest. Unless of course you prefer the drive of a diesel

With the higher price of diesel, the decreased mpg of newer diesel engines (due to emission regulations) the difference will not be that much over 2 years/30k

Have you done the sums?

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 2.0D - Good Buy? - jamie745

My girlfriend has the exact same car but on a 55 plate, she's had it for nearly six months i think doing about 1500 miles a month and has had no problems. I was allowed to drive it once because i was a good boy and i liked it a lot.

You're probably better off with a petrol to be perfectly honest. Unless of course you prefer the drive of a diesel

With the higher price of diesel, the decreased mpg of newer diesel engines (due to emission regulations) the difference will not be that much over 2 years/30k

Have you done the sums?

Yeah and it's borderline but I much prefer the diesel drive so have been through the whole petrol/diesel bit and it's diesel I want.

I just want to make sure, as best as I can, that the S40 is a decent buy.

What's the view of that vs i30?

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 2.0D - Good Buy? - Avant

The S40 is a lot more comfortable and will have a more upmarket interior: as it was a lot more expensive when new, for your money you'd get an older Volvo than a Hyundai.

Thanks Avant. So you think they are a decent motor and, all things considered, a better all rounder than an i30?

Cheers for the help.

Not having owned either I wouldn't go as far as to say a better all-rounder. The i30 is a competent, reliable workhorse built down to a price as regards luxury (though not engineering); the Volvo has upmarket aspirations and is solid and very safe.

Horses for courses perhaps: I'd have a Skoda Octavia ahead of either, with the 1.9 TDI engine if I wanted a secondhand diesel.

Thanks again and I appreciate you haven't owned either. Million dollar question then, which would you buy?

You'd like me to come off the (Skoda-shaped) fence, wouldn't you! Difficult as you best know your priorities.

The i30 is the better low-risk bet (unless the last owner sold it because they hated it - or did they get a good deal on a new Hyundai?), being younger and with fewer miles.

The Volvo has plenty of life in it but with your highish annual mileage there will be some repairs and replacements. And as you say you don't know how it was used - as an office hack or by an executive who cruised up and down motorways.

If it were me....I'd test-drive both and go for the Volvo if it turned out to be a lot better to drive and more comfortable than the Hyundai - and wasn't too well-worn (look carefully at the condition of the interior).

Edited by Avant on 03/02/2012 at 23:35

Thank you very much. The i30 was owned by one guy who bought the car from the same dealership new; and who habitually changes his car every 3 years so I think he just changed it because it was time rather than anything wrong with it. The same dealer has serviced and maintained the car since he bought it.

That's the imponderable - I agree it's the 'safer' bet but also £700 more expensive.

I'll do as you suggest and drive both and buy the one I feel best about.

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 2.0D - Good Buy? - corax

As I recall, the DPF on diesel S40's needs replacing at 100 k and costs £1000 at a main dealer. Something else to consider. This may have changed for later models.

Well after much ado and much changing of mind I bought the S40 today. It was a close call between that and a virtually new i30 but the likely depreciation on the latter was a real off putting factor.

Volvo drives great and is an option for me for around 18 months max so I won't get anywhere near 100k miles and I reckon I will be able to recoup a larger percentage when I sell it than I would on another i30 or a Focus. I am gonna save up for somethink like an ix35 next so happy days. Just hope the S40 is trouble free motoring now.

Thanks to all who responded - big help.

Good luck with it! I thought you might go for the Volvo, as a lot of us would have done. Maybe after a couple of years' saving you'll be choosing between an XC60 and a newer ix35!

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 2.0D - Good Buy? - CBC

Good luck with the Volvo! I believe that some engines are not fitted with a DPF, and you can tell which one you have by looking at the 8th character on the VIN:

3 = euro 3 NO particle filter
4 = Euro 4 No particle filter
5 = Euro 4 WITH particle filter

Source: www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=81813

Volvo S40 - Volvo S40 2.0D - Good Buy? - barney100

I've had several Volvos. 240,s 34,0 480s 940, 740, V70. Go th the main dealer only as a last resort. Any good indie can service volvos at a fraction of the cost. They are good cars and have given great service over many years.