What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Headlights - jamie745

My S-Type has 5 billion watt Xenon's fitted to it, the 406 was upgraded to similar bulbs years ago so its been a while since i've been in a car at night with normal lights. The other night i was a passenger in my girlfriends S40 with normal lights and i couldnt believe how rubbish normal headlights are on your typical unlit dual carraigeway.

I suppose its possible i'm just too comfortable with my ridiculously bright lights but i still found it surprising.

Discuss

Headlights - unthrottled

The brighter the lights the easier it is for the driver. The brighter the lights, the harder it is for everyone else. Unfortunately, since the negative externality isn't borne by the driver, there is no disincentive to the upward trend in headlight power.

Headlights - jamie745

That sounded like the intro to some sort of lecture or a report.

I know i can see where im going better with 5 million watt xenon's which therefore should reduce the chances of me crashing into something. If others dont like my lights they're free to go elsewhere. They're no brighter than your typical Audi.

Headlights - bathtub tom

>>5 million watt xenon's which therefore should reduce the chances of me crashing into something.

But may increase the likelihood of them crashing into you when they're blinded by them.

Headlights - jamie745

But may increase the likelihood of them crashing into you when they're blinded by them.

Then it'll be their fault.

The main reason i like them is for dual carraigeways at night, especially if theres no traffic around because you cant really see anything at all. I doubt i'm going to blind someone on the opposite side and cause them to somersault over the central barrier into my car.

In lit areas at night i toodle round on sidelights.

Headlights - Mike H

In lit areas at night i toodle round on sidelights.

I do hope you are joking, difficult to tell whether it's another windup or a serious comment. Sidelights aren't for driving.

Headlights - unthrottled

If others dont like my lights they're free to go elsewhere.

It's the people going elsewhere else that have the problem. I worry about it less now that I just undip my headlights when facing an onslaught of floodlights. My main beam is probably about as blinding as their dipped lights. When in Rome...

Headlights - jamie745

I have visions of a disgruntled Megane driver having a headlight-battle with an Audi Q7

Headlights - unthrottled

Something like that! The rest of the time I'm a perfectly happy Megane driver.

It's finally dawned on me that I can bully peole with the battered Megane. An unwashed, tatty-looking old car screams 'no insurance', especially when the driver has a fag stuck to his lower lip. Thank you sir, so nice of you to give me priority...

Headlights - jamie745

So what do i look like on my way to work then? In my suit and tie with shades on in a black S-Type which is usually quite clean but currently looks like its been farming.

Headlights - Roly93

The brighter the lights the easier it is for the driver. The brighter the lights, the harder it is for everyone else. Unfortunately, since the negative externality isn't borne by the driver, there is no disincentive to the upward trend in headlight power.

Too true, I have a very modern car but am still astounded by some of the headlight power I see on the road these days, you can only have so much brightness before you become a hazard.

Headlights - S40 Man

The headlights on MKII S40 aren't very good. Maybe that had something to do with it? Your Xenon are better than average and S40 worse?

Headlights - Chris79

Jamie - As your no stranger to controversy.......The only good thing about lights as bright as that is that we re all so blinded by them that there is no chance that we will even get as glimpse of a car as ugly as an S type jag as you pass.In all seriousness why do we need such lights?, have people suddenly become 50% blinder in the last few years, I dont think so!. I think these extremely bright lights are dangerous and should be banned, and whilst we re banning people any one who drives with there fog lights on when there is no sign of fog should also be banned.Rant Over...Incidentally at the moment people seem very keen to bash diesels. All we hear about is 1000 pound bills for DMF's and DPF's. How much do Xenon headlights cost to fix when they go wrong. I know that in some cases they are an 800 pound option to fit onto cars. I heard a story recently of someone getting a bill for hundreds of pounds to replace his led drl's. Await your abuse Jamie.....

Headlights - jamie745

.In all seriousness why do we need such lights?, have people suddenly become 50% blinder in the last few years, I dont think so!.

Perhaps not, but i know i can certainly see more with better lights! The stats show we're crashing and dying less on the roads on average in the last 10 odd years than before, i dont know if better headlights has anything to do with it but im yet to find a reason to not have them as an option.

How much do Xenon headlights cost to fix when they go wrong. I know that in some cases they are an 800 pound option to fit onto cars. I heard a story recently of someone getting a bill for hundreds of pounds to replace his led drl's

Well i dont have DRL's, the original owner of my car had Xenon's fit when it was new. The 406's upgrade was courtesy of some £9.99 bulbs off Ebay and if they go wrong i'd probably just replace them with some more.

Headlights - SlidingPillar

Surprised no-one has made this point. An unlit object, ie a pedestrian not in the super bright headlight beam is less obvious. True that implies you'd not drive into them, but their prescence may mean the wise driver would modify their speed or direction.

Probably not an issue on motorways and faster roads, but in a 30 limit, you do really need to be aware of all road and pavement users.

Headlights - jamie745

The problem is when you come across pedestrians who have no experience of driving because they dont realise how invisible they actually are. They think 'they've got lights, everyone can see me!'

When i cross a road at night i do so with the assumption that i am literally invisible so i act accordingly.

While we're talking about pedestrians, anybody who crosses a road without even looking while plugged into an iPod deserves to be impaled by a slab-fronted Jaguar, frankly.

Headlights - CliffDee

As the sun is bright enough for day driving why not only drive during the day?

I believe there is a special test for night blindness available at most opticians.

Headlights - unthrottled

Surprised no-one has made this point. An unlit object, ie a pedestrian not in the super bright headlight beam is less obvious.

Indeed. The floodlight fanboys seem to be oblivious to the fact that we don't see stars in the daytime.

Headlights - MikeTorque

>>5 million watt xenon's which therefore should reduce the chances of me crashing into something.

Makes you a very easy target for an air-to-surface missile should you dazzle an awol fighter pilot !

Headlights - Smileyman

I thought SAAB had stopped making cars?

Headlights - carr

There is a link here to the age related problem of failing night vision

http://www.allaboutvision.com/over40/night-driving.htm

Requiring brighter lights for reading is one thing but bolting increasingly bright lights on the front of your car does have consequences for other road users who have normal night vision.

As the article says "As we age, our eyes usually begin to fail long before we notice it " so maybe there's a case for regular compulsory eye tests for drivers.

Headlights - Pat L

Out of interest I had a look on ebay and amazon at replacement headlight bulbs. The Osram H7 nightbreaker seem to be good value and get rave reviews on amazon. Has anyone here any experience of these or similar bulbs? Also they don't seem to be car specific - do they fit all cars? Sorry if that's a silly question!

Headlights - ChannelZ

Out of interest I had a look on ebay and amazon at replacement headlight bulbs. The Osram H7 nightbreaker seem to be good value and get rave reviews on amazon. Has anyone here any experience of these or similar bulbs? Also they don't seem to be car specific - do they fit all cars? Sorry if that's a silly question!

I've used both the Nigtbreakers and Philip's Xtreme Vision. Both work fine, but be aware you'll likely get half the life compared to normal +£30%/+50% bulbs. That said, the Nightbreakers in my Mondeo are in there 2 years and still going.

The difference is marked, but as with anything you get used to it. On a previous car one of the Xtreme Visions blew, and I replaced with an OE bulb (Osram +30%), and it was immediately obvious the bulb was dimmer.

I always run the Nightbreakers/Xtreme Visions now, usually with 100W full beam bulbs.

Headlights - Pat L

Thanks for the reply, ChannelZ. Is it just a just a straight replacement? I have a Passat and a MINI - how do I make sure I get the right bulbs? I don't understand all this H4, H7 stuff!

Headlights - ChannelZ

Yes, it's a straight swap. You just need to know which bulb your car uses (H7, H4, whatever). Typically, most european cars with two bulbs on each side use H7 for the dip beam and either another H7 or a H1 for full beam. H4 has two filaments and does both dip and beam in one bulb.

Any of the online bulb suppliers have a database of bulbs used in each car, so just go on there and select you car and it'll tell you which bulb you need.

I've used www.powerbulbs.com for years, and had excellent service. No affiliation, just reporting good service and competitive prices.

Headlights - ianhad2

I don't understand the problem, adjust the headlights correctly.

And NOT by going to a garage abd using a beam setter, as the factory does. It's just not accurate enough.

Headlights - Bilboman

On the subjectof bulbs, I am constantly amazed at the number of cars driving around with a bulb or two out, and drivers who don't know or don't care. Police cars and ambulances are amongst the wors toffenders in myexperience! Life is unnecessarily complicated for those of us driving cars with virtually impossible-to-replace bulbs, but this is not the case for "most" drivers.

Why is there no legal requirement to carry a spare set of bulbs (as is the case in most other EU countries)? (Ditto hi-viz jackets and a warning triangle; and carrying the "optional" extinguisher and first aid kit surely isn't such a major effort...) For such an H & S conscious country, the UK is surprisingly lax about driver safety IMHO.

And another thing - why don't they sell car bulbs in packs of THREE and ONE? A set of two bulbs is useless, as anyone wanting to "upgrade" to super duper H7 has one set and no spare; replacing one bulb invariably means buying, guess what, another set of two.

Headlights - jamie745

There is a link here to the age related problem of failing night vision

www.allaboutvision.com/over40/night-driving.htm

Requiring brighter lights for reading is one thing but bolting increasingly bright lights on the front of your car does have consequences for other road users who have normal night vision.

As the article says "As we age, our eyes usually begin to fail long before we notice it " so maybe there's a case for regular compulsory eye tests for drivers.

How old do you think i am?!

Headlights - carr

How old do you think i am?!

Suit, tie, retro Jaaag, failing vision....pushing 60, surely?

Headlights - ChannelZ

And another thing - why don't they sell car bulbs in packs of THREE and ONE? A set of two bulbs is useless, as anyone wanting to "upgrade" to super duper H7 has one set and no spare; replacing one bulb invariably means buying, guess what, another set of two.

Any headlight bulb I've replaced over the years, the other one pops within days, so why wouldn't you buy two?

Bulbs are so precisely made, that they should always go around the same time, unless the bulb is jarred or rattled excessively.

Now I've got to the point where if one goes, I replace both, saves having to fiddle about a few days later changing the other one.

Headlights - Bilboman

Now I've got to the point where if one goes, I replace both, saves having to fiddle about a few days later changing the other one.

Good point! In fact, there is something to be said for replacing both bulbs every two years or 20,000 miles regardless - something those of us driving cars with unreachable headlights should rightly demand of the car dealer who has sold us the car in the first place! (Perhaps 20,000 miles is unrealistic with the state of the road surface, proliferation of speed bumps, etc., grrr.....)

Headlights - hillman

The thought comes to mind of the behaviour of Toad in Wind in The Willows when I see those un-necessarily powerful (brilliant ?) headlamps. On unlit country roads meeting one of those cars is a trial. The glare completely obscures the view of anything behind those headlights and any obstruction on the near-side can not be seen. In industry it's called disabling glare.

Headlights - jamie745

On unlit country roads meeting one of those cars is a trial.

On unlit country roads, trying to drive on them without good headlights is also a trial. You dont have to go far into the countryside to see telegraph poles covered in bicycle reflectors, houses with massive blocks in front of them etc, all signs of people having previously crashed there and most of them probably due to the fact they didnt see it until it was too late.

Suit, tie, retro Jaaag, failing vision....pushing 60, surely?

I'm 27 thank you very much.

Headlights - 1litregolfeater

Just slow down a bit and chill, all that energy has to come from somewhere.

Next you'll be asking why you get such poor economy and why the alternator's packed in.

Headlights - markweatherill

Laser beams are the next development in automotive lighting, I hear.

If someone looks likely to crash into you, or walks out in front of you, you can put the high beams on them and quite literally remove the hazard from existence.

Headlights - jamie745

Any chance of it being fitted to the new Mondeo?

Headlights - hillman

Jamie 745, "I'm 27 thank you very much".

As you gain experience it might improve things. Those too powerful headlights are very unfair on other drivers.

Headlights - Ethan Edwards

Yes we all know that Headlights these days are in some sort of arms race.

Jamies' Nuclear powered laser bulbs being the current 'Weapon of Mass Dazzling'

(see what I did there) .

As a non Nuclear national I'm trying to compete by just wiping the lamps clean every time I get out of the car. Sadly I know I'm losing the race for Megawattage supremacy. I don't even have any DRLs -Driver Retina Losers

Guess I''ll have to start wearing sunglasses at night...like my heroes...Elwood and Jake.

Though I do look down on the slobs who can't be a***d to get a blown bulb or three replaced. Dazzle them bu999ers! Them and the clots who misuse fog lights.

Headlights - hillman

A little lighting technology.

Veiling glare is when the light is so strong that the recipient can't clearly distinguish what is behind the light.

Disabling glare is when the light is so strong that the recipient is dazzled and the eye doesn't begin to function properly again for a short time. That's when the driver has to stop their car until he/she can see clearly again, and that's what happens with these too powerful headlights.

Headlights - veryoldbear

Ah, deep joy ...

Do you remember the good old days when you could replace headlight bulbs just by lifting the bonnet, removing old bulb, inserting new bulb ?

Nowadays you have to remove battery, dismantle engine, detach bits of bodywork ... it should be part of the Construction and Use Regs that you should be able to replace bulbs without a ramp, a full toolkit, and a boring afternoon to waste ...

Headlights - ChannelZ

Ah, deep joy ...

Do you remember the good old days when you could replace headlight bulbs just by lifting the bonnet, removing old bulb, inserting new bulb ?

Nowadays you have to remove battery, dismantle engine, detach bits of bodywork ... it should be part of the Construction and Use Regs that you should be able to replace bulbs without a ramp, a full toolkit, and a boring afternoon to waste ...

Only if you have some rediculous French rubbish. My Mondeo, open bonnet, pull out two metal pins and whole lamp lifts out. Disconnect single cable, retreat to house to change bulb in the warm and light. Return to car, plug in cable, push in metal pins, close bonnet, job done.

Headlights - unthrottled

Only if you have some rediculous French rubbish

You want o see how rediculous(sic) Ford owners look swivelling the badge round and waggling the key around in an effort to get the bonnet open!

Edited by unthrottled on 08/02/2012 at 10:09

Headlights - hillman

The first time that I fixed a headlight was about 1960 for a friend’s Austin Somerset. I was into motorcycles then, so much simpler. It took a little while to work out that the live wire for the main beam had shorted to the body of the headlamp and completely removed the insulation – no fuses on the lighting in those cars. The wire inside the headlamp was fine, on the supply side it looked like a rusty piece of wire and the dip-switch – foot operated - was heat distorted. A week later, with a new dip switch and two 50 watt bulbs everything was fine.

I recently replaced the front sidelight bulb on my Subaru Outback. These Japanese designers !!

Headlights - ChannelZ

Only if you have some rediculous French rubbish

You want o see how rediculous(sic) Ford owners look swivelling the badge round and waggling the key around in an effort to get the bonnet open!

Better that than pulling a lever under the dash (when you've eventually found it) and getting a handful of cable that's snapped...