What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - INSURANCE QUESTION - hoyak

Hi,

I recently left my hand brake off and the car rolled into a parked car. I have a trustworthy garage who has told me the other cars damage can be repaired for about 800-1000. First garage quoted 1300 That is if I pay up front. If they claim on my insurance I would't expect the mechanic to do the job as cheap as possible as its not my money he's saving.

The predicament I have is that I am 19 with a 7k 2 litre. My insurance is not cheap and this is going to make it worse. My question is realistically how much could the claim be inflated (surely no more than 1.5k?)? As the cost of the claim affects how much my insurance goes up.

My gut instinct is to go through insurance as I won't be claiming for my car anyway as it only has a few scratches. Prior to this I had quotes of about 900 and now with the claim factored in, with the truth presented in the best possible light, I cant get anything below 1500. Thats also with me not inputting details of someone (claimed on their insurance) reversing into my car so am hoping that won't cause to much problems.

Really do not know what to do any input appreciated

(Edit - paras put in so more people might read this.)

Edited by Avant on 01/02/2012 at 20:37

Ford Focus - INSURANCE QUESTION - Chris M

I've had to read your post a couple of times, but two points I'd comment on.

The value of your claim does not affect the increase in premium you will suffer. A claim is a claim whether it costs your insurer £100 or £100,000. That's usually two year's NCB, although you may not have built up that much yet.

The other point I'd make is that if you are going to claim, be honest about what happened and come renewal quote time, be honest again. Insurers have got much better over the last year or two in spotting a porky.

Ford Focus - INSURANCE QUESTION - jamie745

Personally i'd still try and sort it out without the insurers. Insurance companies will hold it against you until the end of time.

I'd rather have the Krays after me than insurers.