What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
If Someone Gave you 50k... - hodsy

Hello everyone and thankyou for taking a look at my very first post on this website.

As the title above says if someone gave you up to 50k to buy yourself a new or used car with what would you choose?

Bare in mind that this would be a one off lump sum so you would need to take into account MPG and cost of running as you wont get any lump sum again only your average wages.

The first thing that came to my mind was aston martin! but then i saw the MPG...then i thought bentley!...again MPG

So then i stated looking at sporty yet realistic cars such as the new focus ST due mid 2012, Audi S range and BMW M series. Now originaly i thought this would be an easy task, choose your dream car but then it got me thinking you would never get this sort of money again. so whatever it is you pick you would pretty much have to stick with it.

Which then brings in more thoughts of should i invest in an electric car? Maybe a hybrid? should i even get a sporty car at all? so many questions and ideas. So i thought it would be a cool question to ask lots of car enthusiasts.

I look forward to looking at some of the responces.

If Someone Gave you 50k... - dieseldogg

Buy a building site (or 2) in the current NI circumstances.

Then retire.

If Someone Gave you 50k... - Paul G1pdc

I'd buy a secondhand porche boxter and stick a £250 private plate on it...then with the 0ther 35k pay off a lump of the mortage....

ok ok its a borring thing to do,,,but you never know how long a jobs going to last...and a car thats worth 50k this year and 40k 12months later won;t help if you need to sell it fast to pay house costs.....

friends just got a large redundacy payment and also landed a new job straight away and its closer to home,,,hes blowing 18k on a 4.2litre petrol Range Rover....as a 12mile run to work isn't really going to kill him on the fuel front, and at weekend his other half has a sensible car.....But if you really want to blow the cash..when I bought my latest car the garage had a db9 for 42k......(most expensive car on the lot.)

If Someone Gave you 50k... - RT

I was in that situation a year ago - well not given the money but suddenly faced with a need to replace a write-off and had a budget of about that, maybe slightly more.

I needed a 4wd SUV with 7 seats and automatic transmission. I toyed very seriously with RR Sport, Discovery, Landcruiser, X5 and Q7 but in the end bought a Hyundai Santa Fe and left the other £30,000 invested.

The Santa Fe isn't as good for serious off-roading or image but they're not on my list of priorities - and I do enjoy getting about £1,500 /year dividends towards the much reduced running costs.

If Someone Gave you 50k... - unthrottled

That's easy. A Corvette. New. In fact you can do that with $50k, and keep the difference.

Proper manual gearbox as standard-no Xbox style flappy paddles.

Fuel economy? A class leading 19/31 mpg (UK)-25 combined.

If Someone Gave you 50k... - gordonbennet

Cheers for that £50k, i'll shove it somewhere till later in the year then buy a new Prius plug in hybrid when they have finished proper long term trials...other makers take note, the customer is not part of your R&D.

The other £20k i'll spread through various ISA's etc and let it grow enough to outright purchase another super frugal proper car (Toyota) for the time in the distant future when the one on order dies in about 15 years time...hang on a minute i won't last another 15 years, don't worry though it will be put to good use.

Very much obliged for that i'll send you my bank details for the transfer.;)

If Someone Gave you 50k... - ChannelZ

Spend £40k on something interesting, and put it in dry storage. Other £10k for a used daily driver.

If Someone Gave you 50k... - TeeCee

<Google>

Yup, a Series 1 E-Type in reasonable condition can be had for that, so that's me sorted.

Next question?

If Someone Gave you 50k... - Bobbin Threadbare

I'd still go and buy a new-ish Mazda MX-5, which is what I'm hoping to do within the next 18 months. Some other so and so has taken the hit by buying it new and then I could look for one with all the options I want, like the hard roof.

Then I'd have money over to replace when it wore out it if I had the £50k.

For some reason, I misread that as MX-6 and was disappointed.

An MX-5 though could be more fun than a vette. Just doesn't sound as good...

If Someone Gave you 50k... - Paul G1pdc

BOBIN... if you get a new shape 2litre MX5 (better emissions/tax MPG than the old 1.6/1.8 engines...

check for signs of corrosion on the boot lip and bonnet lip....yes yes I know there aluminium but it seems the first few years have very common issues with paint bubbling along those edges... I really wanted one when my old volvo died, (even know the boot size 150litres, same as the bmw MINI) and checked loads of chat sites...also the rear exhaust silencer runs very close to the chassis and causes the underseal to peel off....

little things worth checking.....oh the softtop has the stiffer chassis so meant to be the best handing, the hardtop (electric) is of course quieter but with the extra weight of the roof and motors, they softened things up a tad......(you pays your money i guess...)

lovely car though....similar thoughts to mine above.....buy a porche boxter (with private plate so your mates think its new) and save/invest the rest....

hmm maybe just wine, fast cars and fast wo.......n..........hahahaha

If Someone Gave you 50k... - Bobbin Threadbare

Thanks Paul. I will certainly remember that when I get to looking. I looked at Boxsters; about 1999 ish age. But the insurance is terrible for someone my age compared to a Mazda!

I can't say I wouldn't want to test drive this new Toyota GT86 either.....if I had £50k!!

If Someone Gave you 50k... - jamie745

But the insurance is terrible for someone my age compared to a Mazda!

I dont think its your age. Im the same age as you but i get very favourable quote's on an M5!

*pulls smug face*

If Someone Gave you 50k... - TeeCee

That's one of the reasons I went for the E-Type, classic insurance rates knock the spots off anything you can get on modern metal.

Well one of the minor reasons, the most important one being that it's perfection on four wheels and I've wanted one since forever. Also very important to consider is that 50 grand's worth of E-type, if looked after, can be turned back into 50 grand at the drop of a hat. If kept for long enough, it can be turned into more....

If Someone Gave you 50k... - mrnikko

Alpine Renault A110 circa 1971 era just about get one for £40,000 and then bank rest for running the little beastie. Always lusted after these after seeing them rallying in the 1970's and if any one on the forum starts on about rubbish french cars these were hand bulit in Dieppe using simple renault mecanicals and fibreglass bodies.

Ah forgot I also like Lotus as well now how about a Europa or Elan of the same era ah decisions decisions.

If Someone Gave you 50k... - Trilogy

A fine '55 F-100 or a Junior Zagato. unthrottled, I'm not surprised you've gone for an American, given you talk in cubic inches!

Can't be doing with that metrosexual metric carp!

Probably the ideal system to measure the boot capacity of an MPV. :-)

Speaking of going American, I wouldn't mind an AC Cobra, a '65 Stang, or a 351 Peterbilt tractor unit. So many choices!

Well dribble & Drool, (& as seen elsewhere on this Forum)

I just might blag one o them new 3.0 BITDI Audis, 313BHP + oodles o torque.

An A6 Avant or Allroad fitted wit a tow bar of course.

Man Sur!, (we'ed be fair sucking diesel)

If Someone Gave you 50k... - balleballe

For me; Either a BMW 530d in White - brand new (keep the rest for expensive bills which are very likely) Or a New Accord I-DTEC type S - and keep the other 25k odd for a similar car 10 years in the future once the honda dies

Why would you spend 50 grand on a diesel?

Because i'm taking into account mpg.....

No point in me buying a 'supercar' if I cant afford the 25k miles a year in it!

Im sure £30,000 on the used market would get you something quite decent which isnt a diesel.

It would - i'm not disputing that.

would it have the same blend of economy and performance though..........

If you want a 'blend of economy and performance' that can be had for £5,000.

Fuel economy is so boring and tedius.

If you want a 'blend of economy and performance' that can be had for £5,000.

Fuel economy is so boring and tedius.

It depends as to the proportions of each i'm after

I dont want a super economical car - just one that doesnt guzzle fuel; whilst fulfilling my other criteria. This cannot be done for 5k

30 years of boring & tedious fuel economy allowed me to buy a wee farm o land & build a decent house,, plus buy ourselves & wor Tiddles a new car, each, both diesels of course, all along with a reasonable standard of living, holidays included, all on 2 very ordaniry salaries.

Watch the pennies and the pounds watch themselves.

If Someone Gave you 50k... - 475TBJ

JAMIE - Why would you spend 50 grand on a diesel?

What petrol car will do 0-62 mph in 4.7 seconds yet do 45 mpg? That is why you'd spend £50,000 on a diesel!

If Someone Gave you 50k... - Andy P

I'd have something like this:

www.pistonheads.com/sales/3112999.htm

Edited by Andy P on 01/02/2012 at 10:30

If Someone Gave you 50k... - RT

I'd have something like this:

www.pistonheads.com/sales/3112999.htm

I've always understood the desire of a Cobra Replica if you can't get a real one - but I've never understood the idea behind putting the Rover V8 in it.

For me it would have to be Ford V8 or a BMW straight-6, both of which have spurious heritage back to the original.

But a "Rover" V8 was really a Buick design was it not?

Origionally built under licence on an interim basis while Rover sorted out their own design?

They never sorted out their own design dieseldogg! (This was Rover!)

RT-The motivation for putting a Buick engine in is weight. A dressed Buick 215 is about 330lb-very light indeed.

The 427 was just silly-the heavy block spoiled the handling, but didn't really achieve anything that the excellent small block 289 did not.

Ah Ha Unthrottled!

I knowed that but did not want to get too verbose.

Anyway by inference if Rover continued to use the Buick design ( & they did, as we know) they obviousley therefore never continued with their proposed in house design.

cheers

M

Thought you'd might.

Didn't see it that way. Looks obvious now! :)

If Someone Gave you 50k... - Andy P

This one has a 6.3l Chevy engine in it :-)