What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Best reliable and economical car for £2000-3000 - sounder_b

Hi people, I have recently been offered a new job and its going to involve an 38 mile commute each way, pretty much all motorway. I currently have a Honda Accord Type but unfortunatly this going to have to go as it drinks the fuel :( Im hoping to get between £2000 -£3000 for it so I basically have that to spend on something more economical.

I'm thinking maybe...

VW Golf tdi (90 or 110 as I have heard the higher bhp PD models can be unreliable)

is this a good idea or is there anything better out there the most important thing to me is reliability and economy a close second. From what I have read its best to stay away from the newer tdci,cdti,hdi etc... and stick the the old simple diesels, is this true? Also contemplating an LPG are these any and whats the best to go for? Or even petrol jap car just for the reliability although less mpg.

Any help or advice would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Best reliable and economical car for £2000-3000 - oldtoffee

>>Or even petrol jap car...

Almost 20,000 miles a year so I can see why you're considering diesel. Still, I'd be tempted to keep the Accord for a month or two just to see what real life mpg it gives you on your commute especially as it is mainly motorway. Then do the calculation on what you'll save by running at say 50mpg in a diesel and see if the savings are substantial enough to offset the risk of an expensive diesel failure. Or use the same maths to weigh up an lpg conversion or purchase.

Re the VW PD engines - the 150 bhp versions are less reliable than the lower bhp engines but the 130 bhp with engine code AWX is reckoned to be the best and will give you great economy and potentially good reliability. You'll have to shop around and look for one in good condition with a proper full service history as they need to have had a specific high spec oil all their life. There are many threads on this if you do a search.

Thanks for the reply, I would love to keep the Accord, but being a Type R it revs quite high and is not great for the motorway. I worked out the mpg by seeing how much fuel it used on a long trip a few times and it always returns 28-30mpg which is too low.

I worked this out...

Golf TDI will do 60 mpg thats would cost me £42 a week (diesel @1.40) so a total of £4184 for a year of the car costs me £2000.

Mazda 323F 1.5l which are very reiiable cars should do 44mpg which costs £54 a week (petrol @1.32) so a total of £3808 for a year if the car costs £1000.

So surely the more reliable jap car works out cheaper and would be a lot more reliable.

Best reliable and economical car for £2000-3000 - Car

Mazda 323F 1.5l which are very reiiable cars should do 44mpg which costs £54 a week (petrol @1.32) so a total of £3808 for a year if the car costs £1000.

So surely the more reliable jap car works out cheaper and would be a lot more reliable.

I drive the above car on the odd occasions on motorways but find it under powered and noisy at motorway speeds and the best mpg I have recorded on the motorway is 40mpg, average 37 mpg.

Have also driven a PD VW and on motorways this will average 58mpg but have seen as high as 65mpg, and it is a lot more relaxing to drive.

I have jus been reading up some more and your right it looks like the mazda will do around 37mpg so thats ruined my plans! It looks like I'm better getting a diesel, especially if i want to keep the car for a while. This biggest things what worry me is the complexity of modern diesels and costs if it goes wrong. Thats why I was looking at the PRE-PD v-dubs.

Is there any other medium sized diesels with a simple turbo diesel engine which would be good? Was looking at a volvo s40 1.9d but couldnt find much out about relablity?

Best reliable and economical car for £2000-3000 - unthrottled

Pre PD is pretty ancient now. The pre DPF PDs are very reliable engines-the solenoid operated injectors didn't give much trouble. Those engines do require the correct VW approved oil, and the cambelts are highly stressed-so they do need changed on time. I'd take PD over common rail any day.

Best reliable and economical car for £2000-3000 - SteveLee

Citroën C4 1.6 HDi - great on fuel, pretty robust engines. You'll get a 2 or 3 year newer car (than a VW) for your money, ditto for something like a Fiat Croma with the superb 1.9 JTD. Looked after examples of either will be just as reliable as a VW - which aren't any more reliable than anything else these days.

Best reliable and economical car for £2000-3000 - Trilogy

My pre PD 1998 Octavia 90 bhp TDi has now done 207,000 miles. It is fairly regularly serviced and has given no engine related problems. Fuel consumption averages 55-60 mpg. Driven hard it will be more like 50, but that rarely happens. Sometimes I've had around 65 mpg. These are genuine figures, not computer read outs.

The car seats are very comfortable and probably, for me, rate the best I've ever had.

Best reliable and economical car for £2000-3000 - Car

This biggest things what worry me is the complexity of modern diesels and costs if it goes wrong. Thats why I was looking at the PRE-PD v-dubs.

I have PDF VW and it has covered 160,000 miles with very little issues, the DMF last until 150,000 and it does not have a PDF, but still averages 47mpg and I think this year it will cost me about £300 max in depreciation.

I think the majority of cars are reliable its just the owners who may not be so reliable with getting their vehicles serviced on time using the correct oil etc.