Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - Trilogy

Taken from Car magazine website

Tomorrow's world: Ford's downsized 1.0-litre Ecoboost

By Jesse Crosse

Motor Industry

25 January 2012 17:41

Direct injection petrol and diesel, hybridisation, downsizing, turbocharging, twin-charging the list of efficiency-boosting, fuel saving features being offered in new cars is becoming so long, buying a new one is like revising for exams.

Is there room for another? Apparently so, but since there’s no official name for it yet we’ll call it ‘super-downsizing’ or in other words, using a very small engine in a not so small car.

Extreme downsizing - and Ford's new 999cc triple

Ford’s new 1.0-litre, three-cylinder, direct injection Ecoboost engine punches well above its weight with both 99bhp and 118bhp versions coming. It’s destined not just for the likes of the Ka and Fiesta as we might expect, but debuts in the Focus and it’s also destined the C-Max and forthcoming B-Max. Engineers are even contemplating fitting it to the next Mondeo/Fusion.

Is a three-cylinder, 1.0-litre engine really powerful enough for medium size cars? Well, technically, this one is pretty astonishing and while we see plenty of clever stuff coming from premium manufacturers for whom expensive tech is easier to justify, delivering technology this smart in lower cost, mainstream cars is not so easy.

Ford engineers have kept the cost down on the highly advanced little three pot in a number of ways. The block is tiny, so tiny that its footprint is about the size of a sheet of A4 paper and because of that, the weight saved making it from lightweight alloy would be insignificant, so it’s made of cheaper cast iron which transmits less noise. The cooling system is also split between head and block for faster warm-up.

No balancer shaft in the 1.0-litre Ecoboost

To save weight and more cost as well as reducing the package size, Ford has managed to do away with the balancer shaft (usually essential in three pot engine) by making the flywheel slightly out of balance. Engineers have also combined the exhaust manifold with the cylinder head casting, so the temperature of the exhaust gas inside it is reduced by around 100°C thanks to the engine’s cooling system.

As a result, enrichment of the fuel-air mixture when the engine is working at its hardest becomes unnecessary and that reduces fuel consumption. The engine also makes do with a simple yet advanced design of turbocharger, has twin variable camshaft timing, uses low friction coatings on some internal components to save more energy and the crank is offset slightly to align more efficiently with the pistons’ connecting rods.

How economical is this extreme downsizing lark? Is the 1.0 Ecoboost frugal?

It’s efficient (in the Focus the engine will produce less than 120g/km CO2) and yet the 118bhp version develops 125lb ft torque over a wide range, between 1300rpm and 4500rpm. So does this mean the downsizing trend will continue until engines become minute? No, there’s a limit to the benefits and this is close to it. Ford research engineers believe the next stage is downsizing of the cars themselves, and that means weight reduction and less drag.

Small downsized engines are also compatible with mild hybrid systems, mainly to recover energy when the car decelerates. With all that in mind, it’s not hard to imagine how future Fords could start to look and feel like because as weight comes down, handling and steering can only improve too. Perhaps the current obsession with CO2 reduction may involve the odd smile after all.

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - Lygonos

Will be fine in a Mondeo - should drive like a 1.6TD but will need lower gearing/a little more RPM. No DPF (not diseasel obviously) and probably no need for a DMF either with 125 lb ft torque.

No fireball though!

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - unthrottled

Yeah, I think it'll drive like a 1.6 TDCI-but it'll need quite a lot more RPM-125 lb.ft vs 177 lb.ft. ie 40% more RPM!

probably no need for a DMF

I think it will have one. It may only be 125 lb. ft, but it's from only 3 pots. Quite hard on a clutch-especially with an unbalanced flywheel...

Still, it'll warm up quickly, and as you say no DPF. Ideal for short school runs in a family hauler.

Joining roundabouts might be a bit hairy though. There'll only be ~65-70 lb ft off boost.

I would ima

Edited by Lygonos on 25/01/2012 at 22:25

I would imagine the unbalanced fly and engine would largely cancel each other out with respect to the clutch but would be interesting to see how it works.

If the engine works well I'd guess 130-140bhp variants could become mainstream petrol engines in all sizes of car.

You can't balance a 3 pot with an unbalanced flywheel-it's a bodge. Besides, you've still got the torque flux in the crank which no amount of balancing can cancel out. Time will tell how well it works.

A DMF is a bodge too - just a different type ;-)

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - sb10

You can't balance a 3 pot with an unbalanced flywheel-it's a bodge. Besides, you've still got the torque flux in the crank which no amount of balancing can cancel out. Time will tell how well it works.

I think they are asking too much of a small unit,and if they havent tested it real world it may not last long especially the way some drive

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - Bobbin Threadbare

I think it'll put people off the Mondeo; not from a technical standpoint, but because it simply sounds faintly absurd. Also, wouldn't having that engine set-up preclude pulling a caravan? Even if it does act like a 1.6?

Bobbin-that's a good point. I think it would.

I can see Ford's rationale: most people use less than 40hp 90% of the time, so what's the point spending in money designing every car to do something it is unlikely to ever have to do-work at maximum horsepower for more than a few seconds.

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - jamie745

Nobodies going to buy a 1.0litre Mondeo. Regardless of the technical stuff behind it, 99% of people wouldnt get as far as going to look at it, so it 'acting like a 1.6' is pretty pointless. I wouldnt even have a 1.6 in a car of that size.

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - ChannelZ

They already sell the Mk4 Mondeo with the 1.6 with about 115hp. I've not driven one, and I really have no plans to do so. I'm not even convinced that 1.6 is any good in the Focus...

1 litre seems a little small, VAG have their 105hp 1.2TSi which is a 3-pot as well. Works well enough in the Octavia to replace the old 1.6FSi and even older 1.6MPi. Again, if I were buying an Octavia, I'd be going for the 122hp 1.4TSi. At least it has the correct number of cylinders.

VAG have their 105hp 1.2TSi which is a 3-pot as well.

No, it's a 4 cylinder.

VAG have their 105hp 1.2TSi which is a 3-pot as well.

No, it's a 4 cylinder.

Yep, you're right, I was thinking of the 1.2TDi.

The previous 1.2 MPI was a 3 pot!

The tiny bore (71mm) is the key to beating detonation under boost.

Edited by unthrottled on 26/01/2012 at 15:43

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - 475TBJ

Nobodies going to buy a 1.0litre Mondeo. Regardless of the technical stuff behind it, 99% of people wouldnt get as far as going to look at it, so it 'acting like a 1.6' is pretty pointless. I wouldnt even have a 1.6 in a car of that size. jamie745

They will.

1.4TSi goes very well in an Octavia, so 1.6 no problem. One day soon Jaguars will have some engines of similar size.

One day soon Jaguars will have some engines of similar size.

Maybe. Small engines are not a new idea. Neither are 3 pots. There are quite big challenges to getting a 3 pot to acceptable standards of refinement in a 3000lb+ luxury car.

The benefits of downsizing also face diminishing returns. Curiously the twinair used in the fiat 500 didn't achieve spectacular economy-which it should have done.

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - 475TBJ

Jaguar will use the upcoming "World Mobility Forum" exhibition in Stuttgart, Germany (April 15-18), to show off its XJ "Limo Green" hybrid study that was teased for the first time last September.

The 2011 XJ-based Limo Green makes use of a Chevy Volt-like hybrid powertrain with a range extending gasoline engine that was developed in conjunction with Lotus, MIRA and Caparo.

The vehicle uses an electric motor producing 145kW and 295 lb-ft of torque for propulsion. A lithium battery pack offers about 30 miles or close to 50 kilometers driving range with a full charge.

Once the battery is depleted, a Lotus-developed 1.2-liter three-cylinder gasoline unit kicks-in to produce enough energy to power it for another 600 miles or about 970 kilometers.

The XJ Limo Green prototype is said to return a combined fuel economy of 5.0lt/100 km (equal to 57mpg UK and 47mpg US) with CO2 emissions of juts 120 g/km.

That is of course one way round the problem!

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - jamie745

Dear god whats the world coming to if even Jaguar are looking at 'green technology.'

It was bad enough when they conformed to make a diesel.

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - meldrew

So will these engines last a couple of hundred thousand miles or are they replaced at every two year service.........??!!

No reason they won't last as long as a larger engine - they warm up faster, and most wear happens in a cold engine.

If they sore out the lubrication and avoid Delphi parts they'll be fine :-)

Reminds me of the Vauxhall 1 litre, 3 cylinder in the Corsa. Lots of folks, even those who used to work for GM said it was a botch of an engine and only really designed for 60k. Unfortunately, as usual in this country, people decided it was a good idea to flog up and down motorways all day with their little 3-pot going like fury, and then wondered why the head gaskets or camshafts fell out at 80k.

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - Galaxy

I just hope that it works a bit better than the two stroke engine that Ford were going to fit into the KA!

You mean two cylinder engine!

Ford - 1.0 litre destined for Focus & possibly Mondeo - balleballe

Dear god whats the world coming to if even Jaguar are looking at 'green technology.'

It was bad enough when they conformed to make a diesel.

Diesels sell...... Now, Green tech seems to sell