What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic 02-05 - Honda Civic 02-05 Automatic transmission, good? - ipsga

I'm set on a Honda Civic 1.6 SE Sport or 1.7 Diesel around 02, preferably 05. But I can't help but notice there's an astounding amount of 1.6 Civics, around the 58-70k mark all automatics, was there something of a fault around this area as yesterday I found at least six, all very cheaply priced, ridiculously low miles for the year and all automatics. Are these to be avoided? If so anything in particular that I should be looking out for on the Manual speeds? I've read athe Civic review on HJ but would welcome any feedback.

Cheers

Edited by ipsga on 10/01/2012 at 12:14

Honda Civic 02-05 - Honda Civic 02-05 Automatic transmission, good? - Peter.N.

Personaly I would avoid anything automatic as they use more fuel and perform less but mostly because if the autobox goes wrong the cost of replacement could well write the car off, a manual box will probably last the life of the car. I know that doesn't answer you question but I'm sure someone will be along who can.

Honda Civic 02-05 - Honda Civic 02-05 Automatic transmission, good? - ipsga

All food for thought, thanks Peter- some of the manual Hondas seem to last a lifetime so I'll start looking at the manuals then. There's an abundance of Civic Autos for sale at the moment, pehaps that's the reason?

Honda Civic 02-05 - Honda Civic 02-05 Automatic transmission, good? - focussed

The OP mentioned considering a Civic 1.7 diesel-be aware that the 1.7 is not a Honda sourced engine, it's an Isuzu based unit similar to the Vauxhall 1.7 lump.

I had one briefly, not a bad motor but it suffered from a sharp clutch, knocking o/s top engine mount and the start of gearbox problems which were known to occur on this model.

Also the window mechanisms give problems on the 3 door, and water leaks into the tailgate which can rot the tailgate through if not sorted.

P/exed it for a 2007 Civic 2.2 cdti Sport.

Honda Civic 02-05 - Honda Civic 02-05 Automatic transmission, good? - Cris_on_the_gas

Had various Honda auto's, Civics & Accords. Have never been the most exciting boxes but never caused any issues either. Civic's of this age tended to be brought by older drivers and hence might explain the low mileage