What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Passion from a Citroen C5 - primeradriver

Following on from another thread, and seeing as no-one seems to be able to come up with a cogent answer, I thought I'd ask the question directly.

We keep hearing that Asian cars lack 'soul' -- with the clear implication that European cars have this mythical quality.

I'd like to remove the premium brands from this conversation -- as I would fully expect a marque with a high price tag to have something special about it (and indeed many of them are lovely things).

So, we're talking about the likes of Fiat, Vauxhall, Ford, VW/Skoda/SEAT, Peugeot/Citroen and Renault, rather than Audi, Alfa, Jag etc.

I own a Ford Focus, which is apparently one of the best cars to drive in its class. The problem is, I just don't see it. I've had Peugeots and Vauxhalls and Fiats in the past, and never really saw anything remarkable in them either.

So come on, what is it about your C5, Passat or Punto that gets you out of bed of a morning nursing a semi? I'd really like to know!

Passion from a Citroen C5 - craig-pd130

For me, the engine and how it responds to the throttle is the heart of any car. Perhaps because I grew up exclusively with 2-stroke motorbikes, with all their foibles and non-linear engine responses. If I wanted completely linear controls and responses, I'd have ridden Honda Superdreams :-D

We've had two old-style Puntos which, despite being completely utilitarian cars, had a real fizz about them which made them fun to drive, despite their understeer, roll and general uncouthness.

The throttle response on both was very sensitive, so that even a small input had an immediate effect. Of course, this is a classic showroom trick by manufacturers, to show how apparently lively their cars are. But it works.

In contrast, our current Corsa feels flat, despite having nearly 50% more power. The throttle response is wooly, as if the car needs to have a think about things before deciding it will allow you to accelerate after all.

My old Passat B5.5 PD130 had the trademark PD instant 'go', delivering a whallop of torque when you just tickled the pedal. This made it fun to drive despite the numb steering, crashy ride etc. My current Volvo V60 is even better in terms of response, but with the added character of the 5-pot warble which is very pleasing indeed to my senses.

The Mondeo IV I had inbetween the two cars was good, but it just did what you asked and no more. No sense of eagerness in response to the pedal, although its handling was excellent.

None of the above cars give me a semi, that's reserved for my old B GT V8 (and a Jensen Interceptor, if I ever get to own one), but it hopefully explains why I find some cars more satisfying to drive than others.

Passion from a Citroen C5 - RT

It's probably all about throttle response and the way the suspension moves - my 2006 Subaru Outback certainly had soul. That might be expected from any Subaru but the Outback is the least likely of their range to provide it - it has a high centre of gravity, soft suspension, a low-powered engine (165bhp) and a slow-changing old-school autobox - BUT - it was so agile it could embarass more powerful cars in the twisty bits but was no dragster on the straights.

Surprisingly my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe runs it a close second - the German-developed suspension makeover it got in 2010 give it surprisingly good handling, especially when realising it's over 2 tonnes

I guess I've always enjoyed cars that can surprise drivers in more powerful cars - when both cars were fully laden my Cavalier SRi could get away from a Sierra Cosworth on the twisty bits because it's handling went to pot when laden.

Passion from a Citroen C5 - TeeCee

I guess I've always enjoyed cars that can surprise drivers in more powerful cars -

I agree. I still reckon the most fun car I ever had was a Skoda 130 Rapid I owned many years ago. The handling and feel was almost exactly like that of an early Porsche 911, only everything happened more slowly[1]. A mate at the time had an Astra GTE as a company car. He got quite upset when he tried to shake me off along some wiggly country lanes and found he couldn't.

Impossible to drive on an "interesting" bit of road without grinning like a loon.

[1] Apart from the "swap ends on you" bit. That had the same rattlesnake strike effect as the Porsche. Attempting to exploit its RWD throttle-steer characteristics was asking for trouble.

Passion from a Citroen C5 - Jase

The engine response & sound do it for me and can make a car memorable. My alltime favourite car so far was a Leon 20VT which whilst failing the "sounds great" test went really well and handled really well, which is also important. It was a car that just wanted you to get in and cane it!

Leon was replaced by a C-Max 2.0TDCI, which is a really great car of the MPV type and goes well but lacks any X-factor.

Leon was preceded by a Cavalier V6 CDX manual. I loved that car mostly for the engine note when booting it in 2nd & 3rd gear, but also for it's comfort and motorway smoothness. It also looked good in CDX trim.

At the opposite end of the enjoyment scale, I have recently sold my hated old Corsa 1.2 (Nova engine) runabout. A car that was faultlessly reliable for 4yrs but awful to drive in every possible respect. I just couldn't take it any more. It's been replaced with an old Accord Coupe 3.0V6, which I adore and which maybe on it's way to becoming the best smiles per £ I ever own.

I conclude from the above that performance is the X-factor that guarantees me a semi.

Metro x 2, Astra Mk2 unmemorable. Ford Ka and Primera IV 2.2 DCi estate were actively horrible (Renault tie up has ruined Nissan IMHO).

Special mention to A-reg Polo breadvan estate, which fails all of the above x-factor criteria but had a soul somehow and was a fab little car!

Passion from a Citroen C5 - sirionman

Primeradriver,

I know the previous posting you are referring to. And now you ask a very good question, (paraphrasing) what is it about the low end market Euro cars that people see that they don't see in low end Asian cars. If you are buying a cheap Euro car why not opt for a cheap Asian model with a better reliability, better warranty, and probably better all-round quality.

To be honest I don't think you will get a clear answer on this and I don't know the whole answer but I will have a go, and I I suspect the it lies somewhere in the "branding" affect of marketing. When people opt for brand I believe it is called "brand me" in the marketing industry. Essentially you are branding yourself and thus fulfilling some inner thing by wearing that brand badge. The marketing people are wily for sure.

The new Citigo/Mii/Up is a classic example of marketing over substance. The average Perodua Myvi would beat one of these hands down on quality and price but buyers will flock to the "Brand".

There are none so blind as though that do not wish to see.

Regards

Passion from a Citroen C5 - ChannelZ

"Cheap Korean" cars are designed built in Europe anyway, so I don't see the stigma? An i30 or a Rio is as european as a Focus or Corsa. Probably more so, as there's less American influence.

Passion from a Citroen C5 - Trilogy

OP, which Peugeot, Vauxhall and Fiat did you have? Some have no passion and very, very few Vauxhalls have passion.

Passion from a Citroen C5 - barney100
Dosen't have to be pricey to have some character. My old Simca 1100 was laughed at by all my mates but it had a certain something that made it likeable, like an old faithful dog that you got from the pound, had little power or handling but chugged on with a smile on its grill whatever the weather.
Passion from a Citroen C5 - 2.0Tsi
[quote]The new Citigo/Mii/Up is a classic example of marketing over substance.  The average Perodua Myvi would beat one of these hands down on quality and price but buyers will flock to the "Brand".  [/quote]

So the VW Up is starting at 8k the skoda version is £500 cheaper, the Perodua Myvi starts at £8400

The Perodua also only has a 36,000 mile warranty :( and to be perfectly honest like most of the other small Asian box cars looks horrible.

I recently had a Mazda 6 Sport a nice car with full leather BOSE sound system and loads of 'gadgets'. However after 18 months I changed it, something was 'missing' it was a soulless drive too insular. I also had a CRV again a nice car and I believed the magazines regarding the perceived quality, however after 6 months and the cheap plastic was starting to scratch etc it was annoying. The Land rover freelander although a pig of reliability and water leaks put a better smile on my face when actually driving.

My wife currently drives an i10 a fantastic little car both in value and packaging, but my is it boring.

I am driving a 2011 Skoda Octavia Vrs with a lovely petrol 2.0Tsi engine that I love getting into every day as it 'engages' something in me that the Mazda didn't. The interior isn't as stylish as the Mazda, but the quality is better, the layout just works whereas the Mazda was 'let's just put a switch there' as we think it looks good.

I'm sorry no car is perfect however like a pair of trousers I have the right to buy a stylish pair that costs a little more that lasts a little less, rather than look like Nylon Nigel !

If you want a bar of chocolate why choose a Dairy milk over a Galaxy bar?

Maybe some people would be happy if everyone just drove east German Trabants !

Passion from a Citroen C5 - Auristocrat
So the VW Up is starting at 8k the skoda version is £500 cheaper, the Perodua Myvi starts at £8400 The Perodua also only has a 36,000 mile warranty :( and to be perfectly honest like most of the other small Asian box cars looks horrible).

The Perodua Myvi comes with a 36 month/60,000 mile manufacturers warranty, and is a licence-built Daihatsu Sirion, built in Malaysia. Engines are shared with some Toyota models (Toyota own 51% of Daihatsu). The current UK price for the manual 1.3 Myvi is £ 6,999.

The VW Up comes with a 2 year unlimited mileage manufacturers warranty and a further 1 year/60,000 mile warranty (presumably dealer network warranty as per Ford, etc), and is built in Slovakia. VW only covers the seat coverings, floor coverings and shock absorbers for six months.

The Up is a fairly bland looking city car. The Myvi an equally bland looking supermini.

PMSL I think you will find that the Myvi price of £6999 includes a £1000 manufacturer discount, presumably because people need an incentive to buy such a bland little car. It's also a dirty little beast at £115/£165 a year road tax.

The VW etc is a brand new car on the market they will not discount it yet will they?

Stop comparing apples with oranges and at least tell the full story please.

Edited by 2.0Tsi on 06/01/2012 at 19:44

Passion from a Citroen C5 - jamie745

Yet another thread featuring reverse-snobbery where apparently anybody who doesnt buy a cheap Asian car is a moronic badge snob.

Passion from a Citroen C5 - Auristocrat

Allowing for the £1000 discount - this makes the pre discount list price of the Myvi the same as the Up, and not the £ 8400 you quoted.

Having said that, the Up should be compared to other city cars like the Panda, 107, C1, Aygo, Pixo, and Alto, and not cars from the next class up. Comparing the Up with other city cars is comparing apples with apples.

Jamie. Lets face it - all cars in the city cars class are made either in the Far East, or Eastern Europe. For example: Alto, Pixo, i10 - India; Splash/Agila - Hungary; Up - Slovakia;Panda (up to the 2011 model), 500 and Ka - Poland; 107/C1/Aygo - the Czech Republic; Spark and Picanto - Korea.

The only exception will be the new Panda where production will be moved to Italy.

So with the exception of the new Panda, one hasn't had a choice of buying a city car that is made in Western Europe.

Passion from a Citroen C5 - RicardoB

Picking up on the message subject, quite literally, I think the current C5 is really rather a pleasant design - saloon as well as estate.

I'll prepare for brickbats, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's because that in these days of such cars being so similar, it does have a bit of character, dare I say French idiosyncracicies? The fact that it's a saloon, the way the rear window concaves, the unusual fixed steering wheel hub, the cornering headlights, its "presence". The fact that the suspension seems to insulate you pretty well from the bad roads.

OK, I know folk will come on and say things like "rapid depreciation, French unreliability cliches, no steering/road feel etc". But hey, all these cars drop value quickly and most makes do have their faults.

In fact, crazy as I might be, but I'm seriously thinking of getting one!

Do I need therapy?!

Passion from a Citroen C5 - Avant

Not at all - you express very well how subjective this issue of 'passion' is: passion comes from the heart, not the head. Because we're all different, different things turn us on, even in terms of inanimate objects like cars. (And it's nothing to do with reverse snobbery or any other sort of snobbery.)

I too drive a 2011 Octavia vRS, and I agree that the lovely torquey petrol engine gives me a buzz in a way that its predecessor, a diesel vRS with very similar performance, didn't quite - even though the diesel was a manual and this one has DSG. Illogical perhaps, but we're not talking logic. The Octavia vRS is effectively a Golf GTI estate, and I'm sure a GTI would put a similar smile on my face.

The Skoda has better performance than my old BMW Z3, but that too gives a buzz of a different sort, coming partly from driving it with the hood down, partly from the glorious noise of a BMW straight-six.

if there's one common thread binding all our posts together, it may be response to the accelerator - an area where Vauxhalls apart from those badged VXR fall down. Some Japanese cars do too, though in fairness not my daughter's several consecutive 1.3 Yarises. If you want a small car combining liveliness with reliability, look no further than a Yaris, although it has to be the 1.3.

Edited by Avant on 06/01/2012 at 23:32

As Jamie said,

(Yet another thread featuring reverse-snobbery where apparently anybody who doesnt buy a cheap Asian car is a moronic badge snob.)

I agree, and my mrs drives a Hyundai i10 ! The thing is I don't feel the need to broadcast it as the 'perfect' solution. It is functional, reliable and was cheaper new per month than the bus for her to get to work ! But the thing is she doesn't care or have any passion for the vehicle she drives it is simply a functional process.

As for the Myvi again, I won't get into the fact that you have to start adding to the cost for 'remote' central locking etc bumping the price up further. Let's face it, it is a pig of a car like the Sirion that only a minor few will buy and have to justify their 'left field' purchase. They better run them into the ground as they are worth peanuts outside warranty/first owner.

Alfa Romeo continue to sell cars in the UK even although they are perceived as problematic ? Because people can see and feel the design/ethos behind the badge, they design cars that have a sound and feel like no other it is not advertising you can feel it !

Jap/Korean cars are simply 'cardigan' cars they could almost be the 'grey man in the corner' an accountants choice. Well done if that's your choice, that's the difference from having to drive Trabants all those years ago, democracy's!
Avant nice choice of car ;) I have the HB although I think the estate looks better !

I presume your daughter drives the Yaris for the same reasons my wife drives the i10, reliability and does the job? Do the Yaris's still have that central digital speedo :( ?

The wife's i10 is 'nippy' for a city car 0-60 in 12s is very good for the class and can embarrass larger cars, however I reckon hers has never seen more than 3000 revs ever !

2.0Tsi,

You really have got a burr under your saddle about Daihatsu/Perodua.

Unfortuantely you then go on to contradict yourself by praising the Toyota Yaris, and of course the Sirion/Myvi are basically re-metalled Yaris' - the running gear is for all intents and purposes identical. Plus, Toyota own Daihatsu.

Incidentally (not a lot of people know this) Daihatsu were the first Japanese car company to import to UK and sadly for us they don't trade here any more due to the exchange rate. They were actually Japans best kept secret, but were looked down upon as nasty cars when the reality is they actually aren't. They were an absolute bargain but they didn't have the "badge".

I would stack my 2008 Sirion to match your car for most features, comfort, economy, and driving thrill, and don't bet the farm that you would beat me away from the traffic lights either. And all that fun for a minimal cost.

Don't believe everything Jeremy Clarkson says. You and he don't have a monopoly on passion.

Regards

Speaking of Alfas, in the 90s we had an unusual hire car on holiday. It was an Alfa 33 1.3, the flat-four motor from the Sud but with 2x twin-choke carbs, one per bank of cylinders. I don't believe this variant was ever available in the UK but boy, what a fun car it was.

With that induction set-up, the motor was a constant delight, gurgling and woffling along at a cruise, yet with a real purposeful snarl / induction hiss when accelerating and a lovely gargling whine on the overrun.

The pedals were also perfectly set-up for heel-and-toe work so you could indulge your Mille Miglia / Targa Florio fantasies on twisty roads :)

Of course, it was an early-90s Alfa with terrible driving position, 'approximate' build quality and crashy ride, but the damn' thing was alive.

Passion from a Citroen C5 - RT

Speaking of Alfas, in the 90s we had an unusual hire car on holiday. It was an Alfa 33 1.3, the flat-four motor from the Sud but with 2x twin-choke carbs, one per bank of cylinders. I don't believe this variant was ever available in the UK but boy, what a fun car it was.

With that induction set-up, the motor was a constant delight, gurgling and woffling along at a cruise, yet with a real purposeful snarl / induction hiss when accelerating and a lovely gargling whine on the overrun.

The pedals were also perfectly set-up for heel-and-toe work so you could indulge your Mille Miglia / Targa Florio fantasies on twisty roads :)

Of course, it was an early-90s Alfa with terrible driving position, 'approximate' build quality and crashy ride, but the damn' thing was alive.

Exhaust tuning - or more accurately exhaust mistuning - can make any engine sound exciting and it certainly adds to the "passion" factor - the MGB even managed it with the asthmatic 5-port B-series engine.

The H4 in the Alfa Sub was of course the same layout as VW Beetle and Subaru used - it's the unequal length/phasing of the exhaust branches that give the nice burble - shared with H6 engines like the Porsche 911.

Sadly, by the time I bought a Subaru - the non-turbo versions had been changed to equal length exhaust runners with a real spaghetti of pipework where the branches went forward to the front of the engine, across to one side and then back down along the transmission - smoother but didn't sound as nice.

I think some supercar manufacturers spend a fortune getting the exhaust to sound right.

Edited by RT on 07/01/2012 at 08:54

What car would Jesus buy?

Regards

Passion from a Citroen C5 - tony g
A donkey,from daihatsui ?
Passion from a Citroen C5 - Avant

Emmanuel.

Passion from a Citroen C5 - Bobbin Threadbare

.........you'll be here all week will you, Avant?

Passion from a Citroen C5 - bazza

Too many generalisations here for me! Unfair to lump all Jap/Korean cars into a grey boring pile! How about Civic Type S/R, Subaru wrx, Legacy, MR2, MX5, 350Z etc? Hardly a boring list of cars!

For me, we are driving a boggo Focus 1.6, fantastic handling, steering, gearbox. brakes, drivetrain . Dull as dishwater to look at and be in unless driving. Other car is an Octavia Estate, not at all exciting, totally competent, and a decent place to sit for a long time!

You're right about the sound, RT, but it was also the responses of the car that made it: it went brilliantly for a 1.3. Razor-sharp throttle response, although I daresay that two twin-chokes didn't make for low fuel consumption or emissions ...

One of the last generation of cars where the engine design did NOT start at the exhaust tailpipe.

Passion from a Citroen C5 - Ed V

Ricardo - I have a C5, 2008 2.7 TDI automatic, and it ticks the boxes for me. No problems thus far after 30,000 miles of mixed driving. About 39 mpg. Usual wonderful Citroen suspension, mitigated only by the 18" wheels I have - the smaller engined ones have 17" or 16", which would be softer. I also find I use the sports setting quite often when not cruising, which makes the car far less barge-like.

Passion? Not quite, but an old man's car for a contented old man!

Passion from a Citroen C5 - RicardoB

Thanks Ed. Oh dear... I'm technically still quite young! So now I'm worried that i am old before my time. But I still like the look of the C5. The ones I am looking at have the steel springs and slightly lower spec, so more comfy wheels then!