What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCI - Ford Focus Heater vent blowing upon acceleration - wolfmeister

I have a strange problem on a Ford Focus which hopefully someone can shed some light on for me.
A few weeks ago when we had the cold spell before xmas the battery failed. Luckily I had a spare which matched the requirements so I fitted it.
THe spare was smaller than the original but seemed to do the job in the interim.
However I noticed when reaching certain revs the blower could be heard (Seems to be near to the windscreen vents) . It only seems to kick in around 2000 revs, even then it depends on torque. Its almost as if it happens when the turbo kicks in.
Presuming it was related to battery I topped up the original battery and charged and put it back I thought it may be realted to the required ampage etc.But Still the same.

Its now driving me mad - motorway driving is a nightmare!

Any ideas?

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCI - Ford Focus Heater vent blowing upon acceleration - MikeTorque

If you are using a non-standard battery for the Focus that may be the reason. Fit the battery type & capacity as recommended for the Focus 1.8 TDCi and ensure the various wiring connections go back on to the terminals in exactly the same order they were removed.

Also after refitting a battery the engine will need to be run for a few minutes to allow the PCM to relearn things, and the electric windows may need to be switched up/down to reinitialise them, also check other electrical items function ok.

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCI - Ford Focus Heater vent blowing upon acceleration - Peter D

Turn the fan off, does the noise stop. Does it actually blow harder when the noise starts. Regards Peter

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCI - Ford Focus Heater vent blowing upon acceleration - wolfmeister

The noise is apparant whether the fan is off or not.
It doesnt seem to make any difference if the fan is on or off.

It gets louder as you increase torque when accelerating.

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCI - Ford Focus Heater vent blowing upon acceleration - Peter.N.

Are you sure that its the blower making the noise, can you feel a draught? Thought it might be something vibrating or the exhaust blowing.

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCI - Ford Focus Heater vent blowing upon acceleration - Peter D

Suspect exhaust leak or turbo output leak. Regards Peter

THanks for your help.

Its just wierd how this has occured since changing battery.

Saying that nothing surprises me with this car!

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCI - Ford Focus Heater vent blowing upon acceleration - elekie&a/c doctor

Changing the battery will have no effect on the engine running.However,is it possible that some of the air inlet trunking may have been dislodged.?

Well I have finally managed to have a look and sure enough there is a split in what looks like a vacuum pipe inlet into the turbo. (Large 2 Inch wide pipe, on left hand side oft turbo)

There is a bit of splatter around where the split is. Is it easy enough to replace myself, provided I can get the part. It just looks like a standard vacuum pipe with banjo clips.

Is it ok to continue using the car, until its replaced? Or is there a risk of damage to the turbo?

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCI - Ford Focus Heater vent blowing upon acceleration - Peter.N.

That sounds more like it. If its on the inlet side of the turbo the only real danger is of anything getting sucked into the blades but providing you don't go cross country rallying in it I expect it will be OK.