What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dangerous A 37 - Armitage Shanks{P}
Telegraph of 23rd Dec reports that Dorset Council is offering free advanced driving lessons to regular users of "A notorious 19 mile stretch of road where 10 people have been killed in the last 4 years". I wonder how many "Safety C*m*r*s" have been installed on this stretch, where they might be useful? They will probably be left on 40 mph limited Dual Carriageways and other safe places where there is money to be made! (Why won't the swear word filter let me write the words in clear? They are vile devices but they aren't that bad!)
Dangerous A 37 - Hugo {P}
I think free advanced driving lessions in any circumstances is a great idea.

The Institute of Advance Motorists could sponser open days in conjuction with County Councils where driver awareness could be promoted and if resources permit, a free intro lesson for all.

If only one life could be saved, it would be worth the cost.

H
Dangerous A 37 - BrianW
Yes to better training.
But regular users probably know the dodgy spots, I imagine strangers are in more danger.
Cameras are an irrelevance, they do not reduce accidents, they raise money and they make the feeble-minded think that some thing is being done.
Dangerous A 37 - James_Jameson
BrianW "...Cameras are an irrelevance, they do not reduce accidents, they raise money and they make the feeble-minded think that some thing is being done..."

Spot-on; I know I've written to this effect before, but we as a nation are becoming too used to increased control in the name of "appropriate action". It seems to be the less educated (in many ways) who are in favour of the unthinking application of further controls.

"Education and not control."
Dangerous A 37 - TrevorP
"Education and not control"

Hmmmmm. These type of statements demonstrate an "interesting" attitude.

Anyone involved in Road Safety knows that ALL of

"Education, Engineering and Enforcement" are required.

Funny that lots of people seem to very keen on Education - but for others of course, not themselves.

I fail to see the huge queues forming for FREE IAM advice
(perhaps that such advice includes keeping to speed limits does not go down too well with some who KNOW that "somehow" they are already "good" drivers)
Dangerous A 37 - Arfur
>>>I fail to see the huge queues forming for FREE IAM advice

Good point..but I always felt that most people already know how to drive safely. It's just that they don't choose to!
Dangerous A 37 - FergusTheDog
The A3 7 is not dangerous per se. The behaviour of drivers who do not take the road conditions into consideration creates danger.
Dangerous A 37 - BrianW
There is a piece in, IIRC, yesterdays DT about a road in kent that has a bad fatality record which was to be improved but the scheme was dropped by Prescott in 1997 and even if gone ahrad with will not be completed before 2010.
In the meantime two people a year are dying needlessly.