What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cheap/reliable/economic/low insurance car needed - don logan

Hi, i've just started a new job that doesn't supply a company van like my old job did, meaning that my 3 Litre Hilux Surf is now my daily commute instead of just off roading toy..

So it needs to go.

I need a car that's cheap, reliable and economical. I plan to have it for about 7 months before giving it to my sister (17) for her first car, so it needs to be ultra cheap to insure as well.

As i'm probably giving it away after half a year or so, i don't wanna spend more than a grand if possible. It will only be doing short journeys and it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as fits the above criteria.

I was thinking about: Yaris, Micra, Polo, Honda Jazz, Dodge Ram

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Cheap/reliable/economic/low insurance car needed - Bobbin Threadbare

You might get a 2002 Jazz for £1500 ish with over 100k on the clock. The Dodge Ram - you're looking at over £5k even for an oldie; also a beast so is it suitable for a 17 year old? Micra might do you, and it'd be very suitable for your sister as a first car. You might get an ancient Polo. The Yaris is your best bet for reliability in that list, but it will be about 11 years old and a high miler.

If I were you, I'd save up a bit more - run the vehicle you have and look again when you've got £2k. Then, the world is your used car oyster.

Cheap/reliable/economic/low insurance car needed - Avant

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Bobbin - £2k will give you a lot more choice if you can save for a few months. If not, at £1k condition matters much more than make or model. If you want suggestions about make / model, consider a Toyota Corolla: these seem to last for years, and there's a current thread about old Toyotas which you may find interesting.

Edited by Avant on 21/12/2011 at 23:30

Cheap/reliable/economic/low insurance car needed - madf

If you use Autotrader and search carefully you will find Yarises of low miles and FSH in your price range...

see: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/toyota/yaris/postcode/st87dr/radius/1500/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/sort/priceasc/price-to/2000

(National, Yaris, under £2,000 up to 80k miles.) 93 Nationally. But not all with FSH

Edited by madf on 22/12/2011 at 12:31

Cheap/reliable/economic/low insurance car needed - SteveLee

Diahatsu Sirion, they don't break down and they do silly mpg, group 1 insurance, and as they weigh nothing they're quire peppy to drive too.

Cheap/reliable/economic/low insurance car needed - don logan

You might get a 2002 Jazz for £1500 ish with over 100k on the clock. The Dodge Ram - you're looking at over £5k even for an oldie; also a beast so is it suitable for a 17 year old? Micra might do you, and it'd be very suitable for your sister as a first car. You might get an ancient Polo. The Yaris is your best bet for reliability in that list, but it will be about 11 years old and a high miler.

If I were you, I'd save up a bit more - run the vehicle you have and look again when you've got £2k. Then, the world is your used car oyster.

Haha, did you think i was seriously comparing a Yaris to a Dodge Ram?

Thanks for the advice chaps. Can anyone tell me anyhting about 1.0 litre Corsas for under a grand?

Thanks.

Cheap/reliable/economic/low insurance car needed - Bobbin Threadbare

Corsa is a pile of rubbish disguised as a car. I learnt to drive in one. Horribly uncomfortable, twitchy and naff.

You put the Ram in the list. You ask for suggestions/comments. I comment.

Cheap/reliable/economic/low insurance car needed - barney100

The important bit is missing, how long is the commute? You will still need to run the little car. If you spend £1000 on a car that 1k buys quite a bit of fuel, say 180 gallons. Seems like a few minutes with pen and paper making calculations would be in order.

Cheap/reliable/economic/low insurance car needed - jamie745

that 1k buys quite a bit of fuel, say 180 gallons.

That sounds like enough to get my Jaguar to the shops and back!