What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Kuga - 2WD or 4WD? - CliffDee

Which is the nicer car to drive on twisty normal roads i.e. which one handles better?

Ford Kuga - 2WD or 4WD? - RT

They should be the same - the 4wd version is on demand so it's actually fwd most of the time.

Ford Kuga - 2WD or 4WD? - unthrottled

A focus will be nicer than either.

I just like sitting higher up and also prefer to slide in and out rather than slip down and pull myself out.

Focus is a nice car though.

Good point. I think I will get the 2WD, cheaper to buy and cheaper to run. Winter tyres if we get snow (usually miss out in the midlands - too far from the coast).

Winter tyres especially in the midlands. You'll get colder winters than people living in coastal areas. Temperature is the biggest factor determing the advantage of winter tyres.

Winter tyres especially in the midlands. You'll get colder winters than people living in coastal areas. Temperature is the biggest factor determing the advantage of winter tyres.

Did not know that.

The sea acts to moderate temperatures - so the further you live from the sea, the colder it is in a hard winter and the hotter it is is a heatwave.

Ford Kuga - 2WD or 4WD? - jc2

4WD may be on demand but you have different rear suspension and the drag from driveshafts and propshaft.

Ford Kuga - 2WD or 4WD? - bathtub tom

And the extra weight you're lugging around, affecting economy, ride and handling.

Indeed. 4WD in a road car is little more than a sales gimmick. FWD dominates for good reason. As far as safety is concerned, it could be argued that 4WD makes things worse. In very slippery conditions, your biggest problem isn't getting started but stopping. A 4WD can't really stop any quicker than a FWD car-but it it can accelerate into trouble much more easily!

FWD + snow socks in the boot is probably the most efficient solution for dealing with most any road conditions you'l find in Britain.

There's a reason that most authorities don't spend much on snow clearing equipment; it just isn't cost effective.

Indeed. 4WD in a road car is little more than a sales gimmick. FWD dominates for good reason. As far as safety is concerned, it could be argued that 4WD makes things worse. In very slippery conditions, your biggest problem isn't getting started but stopping. A 4WD can't really stop any quicker than a FWD car-but it it can accelerate into trouble much more easily!

FWD + snow socks in the boot is probably the most efficient solution for dealing with most any road conditions you'l find in Britain.

There's a reason that most authorities don't spend much on snow clearing equipment; it just isn't cost effective.

So Subaru's and Audi Quattro's are rubbish?

Ford Kuga - 2WD or 4WD? - a900ss

A 4WD can't really stop any quicker than a FWD car-but it it can accelerate into trouble much more easily!

So Subaru's and Audi Quattro's are rubbish?

I have a Legacy diesel and the previous point is very relevant. In slippery conditions I can pull away so easily that it can lull you into a false sense of security when it comes to stopping.

I think you'll find it's the driver who causes "acceleration into trouble" - not any of the features of the car.

True-but you don't know how slippery a surface is until you experience wheel spin. I'd rather my wheels spun when trying to get going than trying to stop. 2WD ensures that your braking traction is always greater than your accelerating traction-a useful check to to avoiding trouble.

I have a very soft spot for Subaru's 4WD Legacy-but, in the petrol versions at least, you'll only get fuel economy in the mid twenties. A VW Passat has more interior/cargo space and will achieve much better economy-even in petrol versions.

There are times when the 4WD is to 2WD, but in most of the UK, those times are so infrequent that its value is very questionable.

Try telling the Scandanavians that you need 4WD to negotiate your commute from milton Kenes to leicester.

Ford Kuga - 2WD or 4WD? - madf

If you "need 4WD to negotiate your commute from milton Kenes to leicester" then it's pretty obvious:

1. you should not travel

and

2. you will not get there anyway as most 2wd vehicles will be stuck , and the roads blocked.

II recall an Audi 90 quattro just cutting through snowdrifts when my Granada basically was useless. But that was a country road with no traffic. On the other hand, I recall driving from Stonehaven to Aberdeen in an Austin A30. I got through a snowdrift. The Rover 2000 behind me did not. The road was announced blocked an hour later..

We have lots of ice in the moors above us. My fwd Fiesta managed to travel - slowly and gingerly. BMW 520s were undriveable (literally)... the perils of rwd with summer tyres...

4wd is great if you travel country roads in winter and you HAVE to. Otherwise an expensive luxury..

Edited by madf on 15/12/2011 at 20:37