What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying 2001 Mondeo - target price? - Hazychris
Thanks to everyone for the insurance advice from my previous post - but I'm afraid I'm back for some more advice!!

I've settled on buying a Mondeo estate - ideally petrol 2.0 Zetec trim, and I have a top budget of £10k, and can pay cash immediately.

Now I've seen the ads for the Great Trade Centre, and will nip down on Tuesday to suss it out, but to be honest, having read other posts / forums etc, I'm unlikely to buy from there as I don't know my mechanical ar$e from elbow, and don't really trust that I'll not walk out with a lemon (might not work out that way on the day though!)

My other option is a local Ford main dealer, who have a May 2001 (Y) Mondeo 2.0 Zetec estate, 16,00 miles, and through the Ford Direct scheme, on the forecourt for £10,500. I've done the test drive - it's very clean inside, FSH (actually an ex-Ford demonstrator), and has no external marks or evidence of maltreatment. It doesn't even smell of cigs inside either!

OK - now down to the list of questions:

1) How much headroom do you think there is on the Ford Direct car... ideally I'd try to get it for around £9,500 - is this likely to happen, taking into account the "end of month" and "end of calendar year" scenario?

2) Any further tips for shopping at TGTC?

3) Is Santa likely to bring me one instead?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Cheers,
Chris

PS did anyone think that the lighting in tonights Top Gear was particularly poor, or have they updated to a a new production style?
Buying 2001 Mondeo - target price? - Hazychris
Sorry - should have mentioned that the Ford Direct deal includes a 2 year warraty and 2 years RAC cover, RAC inspection, 30-day exchange etc, and I'm happy to pay a (reasonable) premium for that.

Cheers,
Chris
Buying 2001 Mondeo - target price? - Cyd
There's been some discussion here as to whether an AA/RAC inspection is everything it's cracked up to be. Seems the young school leavers (cheap) they use for these jobs can't spot a lemon from 10 miles off whilst blindfolded like old geezers (expensive) who've been around cars all their life can.

What do you normally do for your annual MoT? If you have a local independant who you're familiar with why not take your chosen steed to him and ask him to give it the third degree? Tell the vendor what you're doing of course - if he objects walk out the door.

Also try to get in touch with the previous owner. Even if it was a firm or lease company they may still be prepared to put you in touch with the previous user.
Buying 2001 Mondeo - target price? - volvoman
Sadly the all pervading Data Protection act will probably preclude that common sense course of action Cyd.
Buying 2001 Mondeo - target price? - PhilDews
Surely the V5 will have details of the previous owner? And Data Protection Act doesn't really refer to privacy, more that the data is used for the purpose for which it was collected - which is to identify the owner of a car?
Buying 2001 Mondeo - target price? - PhilDews
Sounds a bit pricey - even for a Ford main dealer. I've seen new shape (admittedly hatches) 1.8 LX for between £6,500 - £7,500 at non-franchised dealers in the Yorkshire area.
Buying 2001 Mondeo - target price? - Keith S
The Mondeo is a good car but I have suffered huge depriciation on mine. Aug 2001 paid £5800 for 1999 1.8LX. Now worth about £2000.

Maybe it was because of the new model coming out, but I'll think twice when I buy my next car!
Buying 2001 Mondeo - target price? - volvoman
Getting the last owner's details from the V5 is one thing - passing on a third party's details using data you hold legitimately for a different purpose is a big problem now so far as I understand it.

Long live the Data Protection Act !