What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Mis-aligned door mirror on 2007 Focus2 LX - Pete Mansell

I knocked the nearside door mirror on my 2007 Focus2. The adjusting mechanism appears to have jumped, and the mirror will not now adjust from side to side, and the glass is stuck at an angle so that only the side of the car is visible.

I suspect that I could see what has gone wrong if I could remove the coloured plastic trim from the housing. Does anyone know how this is removed? I don't want to use to much brute force witthout knowing what I'm doing!

Thanks, Pete

Edited by Pete Mansell on 11/12/2011 at 12:31

Having had a close look, it appears that removing the colour cover would not help.

Has anyone tried dismantling one of these mirrors? It is the type with electrical adjustment.

Ford Focus - Mis-aligned door mirror on 2007 Focus2 LX - TeeCee

It's possible that it just hasn't reseated properly since you knocked it. Try folding it all the way in and then back 'til it clicks into place. That might just do the trick.

If that doesn't help, I've also found that moving the glass around manually can "unstick" a recalcitrant electric mirror.

Dismantling mirror assemblies usually starts with removing the glass. That should just unclip from its mounting, but this can be tricky to achieve without cracking the glass. After that, you should find all the important bits exposed.

NB: generic advice here, not specific to this car.

Many thanks, Teecee.

Initially the mirror glass was stuck solid and felt like it wouldn't release without breaking

I decided to try to remove the glass. Whilst trying to release the internal plastic clips, and using a fair bit of force, it all freed, and the glass would now adjust by manually pushing on it. I was surprised to find it would even now adjust electrically.

I wonder if it may be wise to adjust the mirror regularly to keep the mechanism free - in my case it probably hadn't been moved for about 3 years.

Ford Focus - Mis-aligned door mirror on 2007 Focus2 LX - TeeCee

I wonder if it may be wise to adjust the mirror regularly to keep the mechanism free - in my case it probably hadn't been moved for about 3 years.

Agreed. Having once several years ago had to revive/replace both motorised adjustment assemblies on an Opel, purely because they'd seized through disuse[1], I now make a point of moving the ones on my cars through their full travel every few months. Never had a problem since.

[1] Grease had set. I stripped, cleaned, regreased and reassembled the first one. The second one did not respond to this treatment. I reckon the two little motors had failed from fighting against the drag of the hardened grease.