ford ka 2001 - how to remove the coolant temperature sensor - auspeter

I cannot get a ring spanner or a socket onto the sensor to unscrew it. Has anyone removed one of these before? Thanks.

ford ka 2001 - how to remove the coolant temperature sensor - elekie&a/c doctor

You will need a deep socket to fit over and clear the plastic terminal connector.Why do you need to replace this?hth

The sensor accepts a 19mm deep socket but the socket won't slide on unless I remove the coil pack (I guess). So I am just about ready to remove the coil pack.

In four years of ownership I have never seen the cooling fan run at full blast, only at a reduced speed during air con operation. Idling in stinking hot weather one would expect the fan to automatically switch on. This doesn't occur. With the sensor disconnected the fan runs at full blast all the time. My diagnosis is therefore a faulty sensor.

ford ka 2001 - how to remove the coolant temperature sensor - elekie&a/c doctor

Sorry,but I think I will have to disagree with your diagnosis.As there is no temp gauge on a Ka,the only way to check engine temp is through the live data via diagnostic socket.The temp at which the high speed fan cuts in is around is between 105-110 degrees C. Disconnecting the sensor puts the engine management system into default mode and runs fan at hi speed.hth

I agree. There is no gauge and with sensor disconnection the PCM is in default mode causing the fan to run continuously. With connection the fan, as far as I can ascertain, only runs when the air con is switched on. When I replace the sensor (I have already purchased a new one and cannot return it) the fan hopefully will cycle on when engine coolant temperature exceeds 105-110 as you indicate. After replacement of the sensor I may as well disconnect the battery for 24 hours to (I guess) clear codes in the PCM to reach default upon battery reconnection.

Not a completely safisfactory situation since I don't have a code scanner.