What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Yeti 140 ks 4x4 or Honda CR-V 2.0 150 ks? - Krell

After test drive of Mitsubishi Outlander, Freelander, Kia Sportage, Nissan Qashqai, Honda CR-V and Skoda Yeti, this is what im thinking to buy:

Skoda YETI vs Honda CR-V

I'll try to explain as detailed as possible this time just about those two.

Honda CR-V is 2.0 Petrol, 150 ks, 192 nm 4200 rpm (ideal would be 2.2 Disel, but is 7500 eur more expensive compared with same equiped petrol version).

I like the equimpent it have. Xenon with washers, Leather/Alcantara Seats, Dual Zone Aircondition, Parking sensors front/rear, 18" Alloy Wheels, Auto Wipers wih rain sensors, CD 6 charger with 6 speakers and sub woofer, seats heaters, mirror heaters/folding.. This Honda it's better handling then Yeti on twisted Roads, and also quiter on the highway. It was very silent driving experience, and less wind and road noise then Yeti. Also the ride is perfect.. Not so harsh not so soft (ok, maybe just a little harsh, we prefered 17" wheels version, but too bad there is only this version right now, and still it's not that big difference to 18" wheel version). Also we love plenty of space inside, and a lot of deparments inside where to put things..
We also love that rear seats can slide front/rear and also when u fold them there is totaly flat space. Boot space is amazing (there is spare tire, and still a lot of space, and totaly flat area when u fold the seats. The quality of plastic and interior is amazing. Also i love the sound how door is closing, and have a feeling of quality. What we dont like:

The 2.0 Petrol is sluggish for this car, and i had to plan overtaking (had to switched from 6th gear to 5 or 4th gear), and on highway have relaxing and scenery viewing driving.. There is acceleration of about 10 sec (per specification) from 0-100 km/h, but It's not that bad, but still different to diesels we tried..There is missing the acceleration beween 80-150 km/h. The perfect would be diesel engine here, but it's so much more expensive here. Becouse of low torque i had to drive a bit more nervous (there is a peak of torque in one rpm area, so it's dont have smooth driving of torque of diesels in greater rpm range), and trying to have right gear and right rpm. Also i dont like the fuel consumption that it have.. It was 10.5-11 l/100 km in city, and on highway up to 130 km/h there was lower consumption, but above 130 it was 11 l/km.Around 110-120 km/h and if i drive very relaxed i guess it was like 8-9 l/100 km. Maybe becouse this was new vehicle (only 4 months old and just 3000-4000 km on odometer).

Skoda Yeti. I tried 4x2, 2.0 110 ks, Ambition. But im thinking about 4x4 version, Experience and 2.0 140 ks version. If i put similar equpment as CR-V, i have almost same price between two . With same price CR-V have parking sensors and leather/alcantara seats , and Yeti dont have parking sensors and have fabric seats, and CR-V have better audio (becouse of subwoofer and better highs). Im thinking about 140 ks engine version, since i was very impressed with 2.2 Diesel Engine i tried in Mitsubishi, and 2.0 150 KS dCI in Qashqai, so i hope 140 ks version in Yeti have the same all the time high torque and power feeling. I like 110 ks version i tried, but still didnt have excitment, so i feel that maybe 140 ks is right version. Also i like idea to have 6th gear compared to 5th.Since i feel 2.0 Ambition on 16" wheels (215, 55, R16 tires), a bit harsh, how this 4x4 140ks, on 17" wheels would drive? It would be more stable on twisted roads? The jumping that i feeld from the rear end of the car (on 4x2 ambition 110 ks that i tried), would dissapear? What to expect from this 4x4 140 ks version compared to 2.0 110ks 4x2 that i drived? Also the feeling of quality of interior, how doors close are lower compared to Honda CR-V. I dont like that squeak and rattling sound that we had on demo which was 2 months old, with 4000 km on odo. Is there any difference in quality of interior between Experience and Ambition?

We like the fuel consumption we got (5,9 l/100 on Highway and 7,5 l/100 in City driving). I love the flexibility of the rear seats, but still i would be happy if the boot was a bit longer. Again maybe this is great mix for city driving and long tours and holidays in same time (its always possible to put a Thule box on the roof). Also the handling was weaker then CR-V on twisted roads, but not that bad (better then qashqai for example). What do u suggest and why to choose for the same price?

Im into mountain biking, skiing.. I have a lot of short distance driving almost every day (less then 5 km). But there is some weekends that we travel, and every summer we are traveling a lot (this summer we passed 6200 km for 21 days). What do u recomend for this kind of driving? My average per year is 15000-20000 km.

Also in this moment we dont have a kids, but we plan in next future to have at least one (im saying this becouse of boot space).

And another thing. If i get Honda, i have better deal for my old car (imy old car is honda), compared for what i get if i choose Yeti (in that case i'll try to sell my self my old car). Also Honda is on stock, so i can get it immediatly, while Yeti with specs that i want i have to order and to wait 3 months. If i choose 4x2 110 ks version Yeti would be cheaper (but i feel that i would prefer better engine so thats why i made a version of Yeti that is same price as CR-V)..

What about reliability between those two? Should i be worried about DPF problems becouse of short distances that i have in everyday driving? (as i said there is weekends when we are traveling longer distances, and summer time very long distances). Also how about piezo injectors problems on this TDI engine? How about cost of service? (If the money i safe on fuel i have to spend on services it's not what i prefer)

What do u suggest? Honda or Skoda?

Greetings

Edited by Avant on 23/11/2011 at 20:24

Skoda Yeti 140 ks 4x4 or Honda CR-V 2.0 150 ks? - pugswhdi

I think that you have all the facts that you could possibly need to make the decision. In fact you probably have far too many facts and not enough feeling. Which do you prefer? - the main reason for choosing any car is that you like it and there is, without needing all the technical details clearly enough difference between these 2 cars.

Skoda Yeti 140 ks 4x4 or Honda CR-V 2.0 150 ks? - daveyjp

"The 2.0 Petrol is sluggish for this car, and i had to plan overtaking (had to switched from 6th gear to 5 or 4th gear),"

It's not sluggish you were in the wrong gear. The torque curve for a petrol is different than a diesel - to overtake you need to get the engine revs in the torque band. In 6th gear it may be doing 2,000 rpm prior to the overtake, but max torque will probably be at 3,500-4000 rpm and the engine will happily go to 6,000 rpm, so a couple of downchanges are required to maximise acceleration.

Edited by daveyjp on 23/11/2011 at 11:15

Skoda Yeti 140 ks 4x4 or Honda CR-V 2.0 150 ks? - gordonbennet

In your group test list you missed one out, Citroen Crosser (or identical Peug 4007), identical to Outlander and built at same factory but with PSA 2.2 Diesel it does go very well, might be worth a perusal, certainly worth looking at HJ's reviews, above.

PSA's system of DPF in their Diesels does seem to work quite well, don't hear of failed regens and blocked exhaust filters that seem to plague other makes, but renewal of the fluid which seemingly occurs around 80k miles on other PSA cars is fairly expensive.

I note you also didn't test the latest from Hyundai and Kia or indeed Toyota's long running Rav4, not suggesting your choice is wrong, just wondered if you had missed them.

Skoda Yeti 140 ks 4x4 or Honda CR-V 2.0 150 ks? - Krell

In your group test list you missed one out, Citroen Crosser (or identical Peug 4007), identical to Outlander and built at same factory but with PSA 2.2 Diesel it does go very well, might be worth a perusal, certainly worth looking at HJ's reviews, above.

I prefer Mitsubishi over Citroen/Peugeot even knowing the facts that it's same :) I tried Outlander, and it was the best engine from every can i tried, but i was harsh riding and not good interior..

I note you also didn't test the latest from Hyundai and Kia or indeed Toyota's long running Rav4, not suggesting your choice is wrong, just wondered if you had missed them.

Nope :) I tried them.. Becouse the post is still long, i decide to put there just the finale cars :) I didnt post the experiences i had with the rest. (if someone it's interested i send a post about that on briskoda). I didnt like Hyindai or Kia, becouse as first they are more expensive with 1.7 diesel and 2WD compared to Honda or Yeti. And bigger disadvantage is when u fold down the seats, the floor it's not flat. So there is litres, but not very practical.. So i ruled them out.

The final choice is down to CR-V or Yeti

Greetings

Skoda Yeti 140 ks 4x4 or Honda CR-V 2.0 150 ks? - KB.

I'm guessing you're not in the UK ....but the post was very long and detailed and by the time I got to the end, I forgot what you wrote at the start :-). .....so our UK specs will be different from yours, which makes it slightly more tricky to compare details.

I have the Yeti. I would have looked more closely at the Honda but it was too big. There is quite a lot of difference in the size and specs....do you want something as big as the CRV? The Yeti is a manageable size and not particularly expensive to run. It drives fine and is not uncomfortable (it's even better on 16" wheels and you can now specify them when you order - at least you can in the UK). As mentioned above in another reply, I think you should stand back and look at them both and ask yourself which one YOU actually prefer to look at, drive and own. They're both well made and both have a sound reutation. The NEW version CRV will be even bigger.

I gather you've looked on BRISKODA? All aspects of the Yeti have been covered so comprehensively on there that you must surely know the Yeti inside out. Everyone on there loves their Yeti. I'm equally sure the CRV willl be reliable and the dealers are well respected and the HJ review is favourable. I personally trust the Honda name as well as the Skoda brand so would be happy with either brand.

If you only do short journeys then you must now know that the DPF may well be an issue (although my local Honda dealer says that the DPF rarely causes THEM trouble despite many of their customers being elderly and only doing short journeys).

There is an expression "Can't see the wood for the trees".....meaning - take a step back and simply ask yourself which one YOU actually WANT the most, rather than get bogged down in every last detail.

Skoda Yeti 140 ks 4x4 or Honda CR-V 2.0 150 ks? - oldtoffee

If you don't need decent rear leg room, go for the Yeti, great car, holds its value well, good dealers and different enough to be almost interesting ;-)

Definitely try to test drive the actual mechanical spec of the car you'll be buying, a 110 bhp 2wd will be different to a 140bhp 4wd

Skoda Yeti 140 ks 4x4 or Honda CR-V 2.0 150 ks? - KB.

The OP has sought ongoing, detailed advice from The Yeti forum at Briskoda and continues to receive enthusiastic, comprehensive and informed replies there....he may come back here to advise of progress or decisions in due course?