What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - mw01908

Lets try and avoid these awful devices. I'm guessing the 05 Ford Fiestas should be safe?

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - bazza

1.9 PD VAG units, the lower power ones continued into 2008/2009 and do't have them fitted. (They're a Euro 4 design)

Not sure what else, some Kias i think and possibly the 1.3 Multijet went on for a while without one.

Basically anything Euro 5 has one fitted.

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - daveyjp

VAG 2.0TDi 140 PD.

Ford Duratorq 2.0 and 2.2 manual used in X types and older Mondeos (2.2 auto X type has one).

Ford 1.4TDCi from a few years ago.

Ford 1.4TDCi from a few years ago.

Do you mean any 1.4 TDCi from 2 years ago and older? I have never found such a compelling reason to buy an older used car than these damn things. Expensive to replace, gives less bhp and less mpg with them. b***** Eurocrats

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - andrew bairsto

All X type diesels have one as far as I know.I had a 2.0 and a 2.2 both had one.

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - Big John

"1.9 PD VAG units, the lower power ones continued into 2008/2009 and do't have them fitted. (They're a Euro 4 design) "

I think there is at least one exception I believe the 1.9 in the first edition of the Skoda Superb MK II Greenline was fitted with a DPF. The other 1.9 models weren’t though.

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - craig-pd130

While it's a good idea for private buyers to have a list of non-DPF cars, this all reminds me of 1992 when the motoring media was full of hysterical, dire warnings about £1000+ bills for replacement cats because the matrices would be shattered by driving over speed bumps.

Not to mention the cost to the economy and to every owner because of the extra fuel that cat-equipped cars would burn because they're less efficient.

Yet who even gives their catalytic converter a second thought these days?

Yes, DPFs have caused problems. Yes, some manufacturers have rushed their iterations into production without proper testing and caused problems for some unlucky owners. But they're not going away, and they're already getting more efficient. In a couple of years we'll be in the same position with DPFs as we are now with cats in petrol cars.

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - balleballe

I hope so - although for the forseable we'll get those chaps that bought a car with one mainly for city driving only to find DPF problems

To answer the OP's question. A few that spring to mind;

Honda's CDTI had no DPF

Kia Ceed (upto 2009) had no DPF

Volvo's 2.4 D5 didnt until 2005

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - jamie745

While it's a good idea for private buyers to have a list of non-DPF cars, this all reminds me of 1992 when the motoring media was full of hysterical, dire warnings about £1000+ bills for replacement cats.....

The difference is though ther DPF problem isnt hysterical scaremongering, its real problems which cost real money as has already been documented.

In a couple of years we'll be in the same position with DPFs as we are now with cats in petrol cars.

When that happens there will be less need for this list but until then we should avoid them at all costs.

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - brum

Not to mention the cost to the economy and to every owner because of the extra fuel that cat-equipped cars would burn because they're less efficient.

Yet who even gives their catalytic converter a second thought these days?

My opinion is that shortsighted legislation mandates catalytic convertors hold petrol back in the "middle ages"

YES they do cost a lot in increased fuel consumption and CO2. Because of the CAT, petrol engines are required to run at stoichiometric mixtures,so high economy lean burn technology is more or less thrown out the window, and to heat a CAT up from cold start, engines are deliberately run rich.

Never mind the environmental impact of the the mining of precious metals required.

The books are balancing by short sighted legislation mandating DPF, these also cause a significant increase in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions - conveniently sidestepped by the EU tests that never require a DPF regen to occur. I'm not at all certain if DPFs in regen mode also dont throw out plenty of micro particulate matter.

VW made a noble effect to develop stratified injection to work with this legistlative bondage, but failed and appear to have silently dropped it, though the monikers FSi and Tsi live on.

Edited by brum on 20/11/2011 at 23:27

More info to avoid the evil......I read on this website that the Toyota Yaris did not have DPF's until 2009.

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - TeeCee

While some of the chat on the subject may look familiar, the two are chalk and cheese.

A cat is passive. It provides a catalytic action and there is nothing to go wrong with it, bar the mentioned possibility of the matrix breaking up (which does happen, albeit rarely).

A DPF is active. While there are a variety of methods adopted for doing so, at some point action has to be taken to burn off, or otherwise reduce, the accumulated soot particles. This involves both some complicated electronic activity to determine when it is required, when it is suitable to do so and then trigger the process and also some activity involving the injection of additional fuel and / or catalytic fluids in order to make it happen. There's a heck of a lot that can go wrong with DPFs and the supporting processes for them.

Note also that if anything does, the best case scenario is a workshop regen, costing in three figures and it gets worse from there.

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - Roly93

Yes, DPFs have caused problems. Yes, some manufacturers have rushed their iterations into production without proper testing and caused problems for some unlucky owners. But they're not going away, and they're already getting more efficient. In a couple of years we'll be in the same position with DPFs as we are now with cats in petrol cars.

Point in case being the early VaG itterations of diesel DPF's. In my local dealer there was actually a permananent sign on every service managers desk explaining what to do if the DPF light comes on. My current year old A4 has never given a hint of any DPF issues.

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - 1litregolfeater

Look at the taxis, Skodas and a few old Vauxhalls

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - Alby Back
It could, maybe, be argued that those who would encounter a problem with a dpf perhaps didn't need a diesel in the first place.

I've just put 80 odd thousand miles on a Qashqai with a dpf without any woe but it obviously did a fair few regular long and reasonably fast runs to achieve that mileage in two years.

From what I gather, and I stand to be corrected of course, dpf failures tend to occur when vehicles are used primarily for short distance low speed/revs work.

In short, I think if my driving fell into that category, I'd buy a petrol.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 24/11/2011 at 18:58

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - Ben 10
My 2007 Focus 1.8 TDCI doesn't have one
List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - jamie745

My 2007 Focus 1.8 TDCI doesn't have one

You're right, i think Ford abandoned the 1.8 TDCi engine by 2008.

They've got a 1.0 petrol coming out soon for the new Focus i think.

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - Avant

Humph's admirable post says it all. So many DPF-induced woes come from people who didn't realise (not necessarily their fault - they may not have been told) that short journeys are no longer suitable for diesels, and that a petrol would have been a better bet.

My mileage is nearer to 12,000 pa than 20,000 as before, and so far I've no regrets at going back to petrol after five dlesel cars - not least because my Octavia vRS will do a sporting 38 mpg on a run of 20 miles or more. Not as good as a VAG diesel but only 1-2 mpg less than an undistinguished Mercedes B-class diesel that I had a few years ago. Generally petrol engines are getting moire efficient, and I suspect that the 'break-even point' to make a diesel worth while may go up to nearer 20,000 miles pa than the current 15,000.

It's fair to say that I believe that some of the newer DPFs have increased capacity (e.g. fewer problems with VAG common-rail diesels than with the old PD engines with DPFs).

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - glowplug

The early 2.0 HDi's as fitted in the Xantia, 406, C5 are DPF free, it's the reason I bought the 2.0 instead instead of the 2.2. Still there's growing trade in remapping the EMU and drilling a few holes in the DPF to bypass the system, especially to resurrect a bargain vehicle with the 'emissions' light on. In the case of a PSA ELOYS system this also saves on the cost of the additive.

Steve.

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - grimep

My 08 90bhp Focus 1.6TDCi doesn't. But as pointed out in the HJ section in the Telegraph, that's the least of your worries, what with the Dual Mass Flywheel, turbo, etc

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - BigDawg

It's a Fact the brussels B- - - - rds have got it wrong again.

I have found out the hard way.

2009 Vauxhall Astra 1.9cdti 16v (150bhp) 36000 miles, owned from new.

Just before Christmas The Turbo let go on the motorway 70 mph , wrecking the engine, destroying the EGR valves with soot .

Reason blocked DPF which should re-generate automatically on these , didn't . When it fails an attempted regeneration , it then dumps the diesel which it meant to burn the soot with into the sump engine oil , destroying it , the turbo, egr valve and the engine.

I'm out £5000 so far on new Vauxhall supplied engine etc:

This is on a car which was serviced 4 times in it's almost 4 year life.

This is not limited to Vauxhall , but exists across the board on nearly all modern diesels.

Car was 7 months out of warranty , Vauxhall is aware but " washes it's hands of the problem"

Some of you will say " remove the guts of the dpf and blank off the egr valve"

Many companies have sprung up offering to do just this. £350 to 500 for the pleasure of gutting the dpf and rewelding it, and remapping to remove both the dpf and egr from the car's brain.

This is sucessfull according to my research. BUT

From Feb 2014 The MOT are introducing new measures to test if your DPF is there and functioning correctly.

So the DILEMA continues , what to do for the best?

New DPF from Vauxhall £1500 inc vat if you please , and some have only got 12 months before the problem reoccured.

1. I will never own another DPF equipped car. Not if it was free. Too unreliable.

2. I will never buy another Vauxhall either.

So much for flying the flag and getting shafted like this.

VERY SAD OWNER but not for much longer

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear your tale of woe.

If you've done 36,000 miles in 4-5 years, you'll be better off with a petrol next time. Good luck!

Edited by Avant on 14/01/2014 at 17:36

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - Alan767

Welcome to the forum, xxxx and sorry to hear your tale of woe.

If you've done 36,000 miles in 4-5 years, you'll be better off with a petrol next time. Good luck!

VAG 2.0TDi 140 PD.

Ford Duratorq 2.0 and 2.2 manual used in X types and older Mondeos (2.2 auto X type has one).

Edited by Avant on 07/02/2019 at 23:20

List of cars which don't have DPF's fitted - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

As above- my 2007 Octavia had the VAG 2.0TDi 140 PD and no DPF.

The specimen calling itself Alan767 inserted a link into a quote (from me!) and was resurrecting the thread to introduce spam.

But it's worth emphasising that:

(a) cars without DPFs are mostly pre-2009-10.

(b) the DPF, far from being an 'awful device' is intended to reduce pollution. There have been a few faulty ones, as with any component, but people who drive diesel vehicles as they are intended to be driven - i.e. over higjh annual mileages and mainly long distances - don't often have problems.