What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mk 3 Mondeo 06 Reg. - Ford Mondeo, Rear hatch locking - Peter

We have recently bought a Ford Ka and the boot door is independently locked from the two main doors.

However with my Mk 3 Mondeo the rear hatch door locking mechanism opens and close in conjunction with the four main doors. I have had a look through the handbook to no avail. It strikes me as a security risk as most of us tend to place our valuables out of sight in the boot and it would appear that if stopped at traffic lights or X-roads someone could open the boot and pinch the crown jewels etc.

Is it possible to lock the boot door separately from the rest of te car?

Thank you.

Edited by Peter on 09/11/2011 at 14:10

Mk 3 Mondeo 06 Reg. - Ford Mondeo, Rear hatch locking - Bobbin Threadbare

This isn't going to be very helpful but I reckon it just depends on the car. My old Focus had a separate boot locking button on the key, but my Mazda doesn't (it's on the same chassis as the Mondeo actually, come to think of it!)

Unless anyone knows how to mess with the circuit...! But the key operates on a particular radio frequency so you'd have to program the doors and boot with separate frequencies.

Mk 3 Mondeo 06 Reg. - Ford Mondeo, Rear hatch locking - Carse

Peter,

If it helps you can make the car lock all the doors automatically when you start to drive away and therefore the hatch will also be locked. I have included the instructions below.

Turn on the ignition so all the dash lights come on but don't start the engine.

Lock the door using the button on the door handle and then unlock the door (but don't open it) 3 times.

Turn off the ignition.

Lock the door using the button on the door handle and then unlock the door (but don't open it) 3 times.

Turn on the ignition but dont start the engine - you should be able to hear a beep.

Lock the door again as before then unlock it (only once this time) - a final beep should be heard.

If all goes according to plan your doors should now auto lock when you go over a certain speed (about 5-10mph). This will also auto lock the doors if you reverse away. This mod will be operational until you repeat the above steps to switch it off. It will only work once for each time the car is started though. In other words, if you unlock the doors to let someone out without turning the engine off, they will not automatically lock when you move away again.

Mk 3 Mondeo 06 Reg. - Ford Mondeo, Rear hatch locking - Avant

The above is useful to know, but personally I don't want to lock myself in most of the time (imagine a blow out....out of control....crash....unconscious....someone needs to get me out).

Most cars with central locking have a button you can press to lock yourself in when you want to - e.g. in heavy traffic as the OP suggests.

Edited by Avant on 10/11/2011 at 19:56

Mk 3 Mondeo 06 Reg. - Ford Mondeo, Rear hatch locking - TeeCee

I think you'll find that it is a safety requirement in most markets that the central locking unlocks when the airbags and fuel isolator are triggered, i.e. in case of serious accident.

When I was doing 3-ton multidrops, one of my colleagues neglected to lock the rear doors on a Merc 508 LWB panel van. As he queued for a roundabout on the North Circ, someone bagged a free telly. He saw 'em leg it in the mirror, but as he was in the middle of three lanes of stop/start rush-hour traffic, there wasn't much he could do.