What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen - Citroen engine 2.8 oil drained whilst driving - tsultana

I was driving My van when something must of hit the oilcooler-punctured it and drained the oil. 1st thing I new was the oil light came on at about 60mph. I depressed clutch and waited recovery. Replaced oil cooler but engine REALLY noisey. Need a new engine but wondered how flexible I could be with alternatives. I know the peugot and fiat are same, but will anything else eg 2.2 or older engine fit. The year of mine is 53 It has only done 62K!!! but has the newer lights.

Any help appreciated. I had a mobile mechanic who started to strip the engine. He has taken bits off, but I havent seen him for 6 weeks! so repair by 3rd party pretty slim I would of thought.

THere are plenty of these vans but not many 2.8's so wondered if say the C8 or similar could be used.

Been quoted 1000 for replacement engine, with 3 months warranty

Citroen - Citroen engine 2.8 oil drained whilst driving - injection doc

should of claimed on the insurance ! you hit something and it broke !

Citroen - Citroen engine 2.8 oil drained whilst driving - m_loades
have you tried an engine refurb shop? crank regrind, over-size shells and a head gasket might be all you need. wont cost anything to call them! maybe 10p :)
Citroen - Citroen engine 2.8 oil drained whilst driving - barkas

with high labour costs and machining and parts governing a rebuild, I would deff go for the replacement engine with 3 months warranty although its "buyer beware" with these used units, I have had a duff used engine in the past. do as much online searching about the seller as you can, if something goes wrong they usually make things difficult for you hoping you will give up.

Citroen - Citroen engine 2.8 oil drained whilst driving - tsultana

Thanks all frustrating which way to turn, quote is 400ish for 3rd party to remove and put in so going to do this and send for a quote from a re-builder. 1000 quid hopefully will get a lot of parts but at least I know the engines history. Worse case its a new one- thanks for the heads up on the sellers!