What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Low Idle - FirstHonda

Low idle -

I have recently brought a Honda Jazz, 1.4 SE manual, 8 valve, i DSI, L13A1, year 2005, 54000 miles.

The idle speed should be around 600 rpm, but was around 350. I have trouble with stalling when moving from a stationary position and occasionally with starting. The local Honda service manager told me that they have found a lot of similar cars have this idle speed and the cost of finding the problem is not worth it.

I have to date done the following -

Renewed the air filter (surprisingly dirty)
Changed the plugs (around 1.8mm gap and cracks in central electrode)
Reset the tappets clearance
Cleaned the air inlet ducts (surprisingly dirty - appears to be old sump mineral oil)
Cleaned throttle air duct, inc. the edges of the butterfly valve (non manual opening)Changed the fraying aux. drive belt
Checked the EGR valve (surprisingly clean)
Changed the oil and filter

The oil change to Honda’s 5W - 40 oil has increased the idle to around 450, but I still have some starting and stalling trouble.

I would now like to tune the electronic engine management, as would the Honda service dept, but this would be expensive.

Has anyone got the software, hardware, and know-how to do this, and can tell me how to do it?

Edited by FirstHonda on 07/11/2011 at 19:40

Honda Jazz - Low Idle - m_loades
did you clean the idle control valve?
Honda Jazz - Low Idle - madf

Agree with ICV.. dirty air filter lets dirt through.

Carburettor cleaner and a very gentle hand is best.

As far as electronic testing, you can buy a tester to read fault codes and plug into the OBD socket.. But if you have to ask, the learning process is likely to be long and expensive..

Try ICV first.. with great care.

Then also the MAF sensor (I assume it has a MAF sensor)

Edited by madf on 08/11/2011 at 09:51

Honda Jazz - Low Idle - Falkirk Bairn

Dose of Shell V-power and an Italian tune-up.

If that does not do the trick, follow the above advice.

Hi m_loades
My Jazz has an Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS) and hence no Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) - but thanks for the suggestion.

Hi madf
I have changed the air filter - surprisingly dirty, but it made no difference to the idle rpm.

I am looking at code readers - Drapers do one for around £200 - ouch! But my local parts shop will do a read out for £10, so I can use that. But I want the engine set up software to do my own tuning. This is difficult to find.

I don’t seem to have a MAF (?) sensor, but there is a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. When I adjusted the tappets I noted the inside of the inlet manifold was coated with what appeared to be old mineral sump oil - I think this Jazz has had oil with a mineral content. So it is very probable that the MAP sensor is coated with old oil. If the sensor is reading a low pressure then I assume the Engine Control Module (ECM) will reduce the fuel, and hence slow the idle. I’ll clean it tomorrow and see if it is the problem. Thanks for your help and suggestion, which is much appreciated.

Hi lkirk Bairn
Yes, I am using the higher octane fuel with the additives and giving it a work out regularly. I’m also using Redox for a while to clean the engine and injectors as it was standing for around 10 months on dealers forecourts.

Thanks chaps for your replies.

Edited by FirstHonda on 08/11/2011 at 20:10

firstHonda

MAP sensor.. Carb cleaner and a cotton bud and great care.. should solve your problem..

You may need two cleans to get it right if as dirty as you say.

As far as code readers, I bought an Autel Maxiscan MS509 from Tmart for under £40 delivered.. and can thoroughly recommend it as it shows fault codes and their cause in English and is a peace of cake to use.. (it was on offer). Andy more than that is far too much if you are an amateur mechanic..

http://www.tmart.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS509-OBD2-II-EOBD-Scanner-Code-Reader-Live-Data_p88572.html

Paid by Paypal for protectiion - no issues Delivery 2 weeks.

Edited by madf on 09/11/2011 at 10:57

Hi madf -

Too late, I brought a RAC OBD2 code reader for £80 from Argos - made in China, so I know it's good! But seeing what a bargain you got, I'll set up a Paypal account so I can buy from the internet in future. But thanks for the advice and link. Much appreciated.

The MAP sensor is nearly £400 from Honda, and around £130 from my parts shop!! So, yes, I will be cleaning this precious object with great care. If I need a new one I'll try to see what I can find on the net. Cotton buds are a great idea!

When I've cleaned the sensor I'll post on here with the results, as a low idle seems to be a common fault.

Many thanks for your advice.

FirstHonda

Son's 110k mile Yaris had a similar - but not same - problem with MAF sensor contamination. Took 2 cleans to fix it...

Today I tried the following -

Cleaned the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) valve
Checked the open/close function of the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve
Checked the On Board Diagnostic Two (OBD2) codes - no faults

Cleaning the MAP did improve things but it still dropped eventually to around 450 rpm. I'll give it another clean tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

Edited by FirstHonda on 10/11/2011 at 17:53

Try this:

http://www.wiredonhonda.com/vb/showthread.php?t=292

Hi madf

The throttle position sensor/valve are something I've not yet tried. I'll check them out tomorrow - thanks for the link

Latest update on Jazz low idle -

Well, I've checked out all the suggestions above, thanks chaps for the advice.

I added Slick50 to the engine oil and have done a couple of hundred miles. The engine does run better, and it is taking longer to come down to the low idle, but still it is only around 450 rpm - which has surprised me. The mpg is as expected so I now assume that the engine is running at it's optimum for it's present tuning.

So the next step is to retune, checking and adjusting the timing, fuel mixture and idle speed. At 54K miles the engine is probably well overdue for this. However I need the software and hardware to do this. Does anyone know where I can find the equipment? I have surfed but no luck.

I am very unwilling to entrust my engine to a garage as I have had bad experiences, as have others I know.

You cannot adjust those as they are set by the ECU>

Honda Jazz - Low Idle - elekie&a/c doctor

Have you tried cleaning out the throttle body?Can't see any reference to this being done in previous posts.Also as suggested there is no provision to adjust any engine tuning parameters.hth

Honda Jazz - Low Idle - focussed
W

Hi elekie&a/c doctor

Yes - I checked and cleaned the throttle body and butterfly valve, it looks as new with no sign of wear or damage. Although I cleaned a lot of black stuff off and cleared the edges of the valve, it made no difference to the idle at all, but improved the very low revs characteristics noticeably.

Thanks for the suggestion though - much appreciated

Hi madf

Honda can adjust the ECU via software - this is what I need and am searching for but it seems that Honda are a bit possessive about this. : )

Edited by FirstHonda on 27/11/2011 at 18:29

Honda Jazz - Low Idle - Phil.J

Mm... maybe this site could be helpful: (deleted -no free adverts)

Good luck!

Edited by Avant on 24/01/2013 at 00:38

Honda Jazz - Low Idle - thunderbird

A Honda dealer maybe able to make some adjustments to the ECU but he will not be able to reprogramme fuel and ignition.

If you were able to access the software and cables and get the necessary unlocking codes the likelyhood is you would make it worse. Even if it idled faster it may fail the MOT after your tinkering. Without gas analysing kit and years of training and experience this type of tuning is not for the DIY'er.

Add to that the link in the post above is really useful to a guy with a Honda Jazz with issues. They the fek do these idiots come on here posting adverts for tablets and phones etc in the USA.

Edited by thunderbird on 23/01/2013 at 13:40