Audi A3 - Oil in Coolant Reservoir - daz_free

Hi,

The Coolant light came on my dash the other day and says in the handbook that it lights up when the "coolant level low/coolant temperature too high".

I checked the coolant reservoir and it is full of oil. The oil is black.

Any ideas what the problem is? I've noticed no other driving issues (e.g. lack of turbo etc...)

I hope it isn't something expensive but looking at forums on the net could well be a head gasket problem?

Thanks,

D

Audi A3 - Oil in Coolant Reservoir - Roly93

Almost certainly head-gasket, but could also be porous cylinder head casting issue raising its head.

Audi A3 - Oil in Coolant Reservoir - m_loades
check if you have a water cooled oil cooler first. if thats failed, that could be your problem
Audi A3 - Oil in Coolant Reservoir - Roly93

Good point, forgot to ask this ! The oil being very black may be the clue.

Audi A3 - Oil in Coolant Reservoir - daz_free

Ok thanks, sorry for being a dumbass but how do I check this?

Audi A3 - Oil in Coolant Reservoir - Peter D

It could be a HG but the engine has an oil cooler that you need to disconnect, run the engine and see if oil drips out of it. Regards Peter

Audi A3 - Oil in Coolant Reservoir - m_loades

you need to take it off and pressure test it.

failing that you could bypass it but bare in mind you will have removed the oil cooler so keep an eye on the temperatue especially in traffic. clean the water pipes in and out of the cooler once its bypassed, drive it for a bit and then check if cooler. if oil has formed in the pipes / started leaking out you know its that.