What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Severe brake vibration - teflonbill

Hi, I have a year 2000 Mk2 Ford Mondeo with a brake problem.

Firstly, I have upgraded to 300mm discs that were standard on Mk3 Mondeos, and Mk3 front calipers. I know these aren't standard parts but I don't believe in any way that this is the cause of my problems.

I started off using brand A discs, with brand X pads. I bedded the pads in slowly and everything seemed ok but after 1500 miles or so I noticed vibration on even light braking, at any speed above 30mph (seemed to be worst around 40mph). I used the discs for another 1500 miles or so before the vibration got very annoying and changed them to brand B discs, with brand X pads again. I must add at this point that the vast majority of the vibration was through the steering wheel and minimal through the pedal.

As soon as I fitted the new discs/pads it was an immediate improvement, back to 'normal' brakes again. However, they have slowly started to creep back to the juddering again, after 2000 miles or so. This time, I've noticed that it's worst at higher speeds (motorway speeds) and it's definitely worse when applying a bit of turn whilst braking. It also seems to get worse as the brakes get hotter.

I thoroughly cleaned the faces of the hubs and rears of the discs when fitting so I don't think it is due to dirt causing run out. It's almost a foregone conclusion that if I get a DTI gauge on the discs that the run out will be out of spec, but that won't help me with the cause which is the real issue here. I would also add the calipers were stripped down several times with the slider pins thoroughly cleaned and regreased and they are not sticking. The pistons are also free to move. My wheel nuts have always been torqued correctly with a torque wrench, and I never sit on the brakes at junctions etc when the car is stopped. The wheel bearings were replaced with genuine parts only a few thousand miles ago.

All else I can think of is distorted hubs (would need to measure with DTI gauge) but it's definitely more noticeable now whilst turning and braking and I can't understand why?

Any help is appreciated thank you, as this is becoming expensive with new discs each time!

Edited by teflonbill on 23/10/2011 at 23:00

Ford Mondeo - Severe brake vibration - bathtub tom

Why do you think 'upgrading' your brakes wouldn't cause a problem?

Ford spend £millions on R & D and they decide to fit fit a different set-up to yours on a later model.

That's no reason to suspect you can retro-fit without problems. I'm thinking brake balance disruption due to different sized discs front to rear, calliper piston diameter to master cylinder piston diameter ratio, servo assistance, etc.

Why have you decided to 'upgrade'? Are you using the car for competition?

Perhaps you should try fitting the original brakes and see if it cures your vibration.

Ford Mondeo - Severe brake vibration - zango

This is not as strange as it may appear.

I once had a set of "performance" brake pads that caused the disc to warps. There were clear signs of overheating as the discs had micro-cracks on the surface.

There was no rubbing or binding, it was all caused by normal use. I think that the pads were not allowing heat flow through them away from the disk and into the caliper etc.

Ford Mondeo - Severe brake vibration - madf

Man redesigns braking system and tests it in real life..and then asks us for advice.

Mine is simple.. go back to the orginal design.