What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car allowance??? - claudiab
I hope someone can help mé....
I have a 1.4 Honda civic has a company car due for renewal march. Just been told i have to have car allowance now when i change.
I dó 50,000 miles a yr and apprx 5000 private miles. I have a fuel card. Dó i have to pay my own insurance with car allowance? Bit worrying with 0 no claims and 6 points. Surely i am gonna be much worse off? My Honda only costs mé 85 quid extra in tax a month and that includes All my fuel paid!!!! Am i bring screwed over here? And as my contract States company car Can i stand my Ground and say no to the car allowance cos thats whats In my contract???
Thanks so much
Car allowance??? - oldtoffee

You're only being screwed if the car allowance they pay you doesn't cover the cost of you buying and running the car and fuelling it. i guess the insurance will be very expensive, get a quote on meerkat or confused. If your business mileage was say 15,000 then your employer could get away with a modest allowance say £350 to £400 a month pre tax plus say 15p a business mile and you claim the 25p extra to 10,000 miles and 10p after that against tax etc. But 50,000 miles pa suggests the car is a vital tool for you to do your job. Whatever you buy will be worth next to nothing with 170,000 miles on it in 3 years so the car allowance has to cover 90% of the depreciation you're goingto suffer. At higher tax rates £1,000 a month less tax is less than £600 a month which if you're very careful how you drive and have no surprise repair bills is what it will cost you to finance, insure, tax, retyre twice a year, service at least 3 times a year, change the drive belt two or three times on a one or two year old Focus or Golf which will be worth naff all after 3 years.

I've experience of companies adopting this practice to reduce costs ie the workforce and the cynic in me might view it as not so subtle constructive dismissal. I'd ask them to explain in detail why the change especially when the job demands you do very high mileage. Do your maths but I can't see it working unless they pay you a very very high allowance and that might affect adversely your tax position. Take your contract of employment to Citizens Advice Bureau and get their view.

Thanks for your replies We are owned by NZ Who dont agree with company cars hence the change. Theres nothing i can dó A's its come from the board in NZ. My mileage is gonna be approx 40k a yr more Like. I dont understand this claiming mileage business particularly when i get a fuel card so All petrol is paid by the company. So does this concern mé? Dó i also have to find the money for an inital deposit? Questions questions questions!!! Ill be getting max 400 quid a month before tax
Thanks
Car allowance??? - mrnikko

Just a thought is your employer telling you via the car allowance what your budget is monthly for a new company car, one of my previous companies did this and all it meant to us was how much a month we had to spend on our new company car.

If they are expecting you to run a private car on your stated mileage og 60,000 miles a year with an allowance I would agree with the previous post that you need to look at your situation very seriously.as you cannot really be expected to run a private car for your work

Weve just been told company cars are going A's theyre expensive
Car allowance??? - oldtoffee

>>>Weve just been told company cars are going A's theyre expensive

OK get them to change your job so you don't have to do the miles. Seriously if its expensive for the company with write downs against tax, VAT reclaims then how do they think its going to be for their employees funding it privately? I'd worry about their motives.

Not sure about the fuel card position especially if you switch to running your own car - the tax position could be very expensive. The mileage allowance means you can claim 40p per mile for the first 10,000 business miles and 25p per mile thereafter. Your company is unlikely to pay you 40p and 25p so you can claim the difference against tax. It used to be a nice earner if you ran a modest, economical car and fuel was not £6.30 a gallon!

Yes you'll have to find a deposit of sorts even if you finance the car on a PCP deal so for a £15,000 car budget for £3,000 deposit. If you PCP it then you'll have to pay 3 months upfront. I expect you'll be looking at a minimum of £450 a month for a mid market car on 40,000 miles a year. You might struggle to find competitive quotes on that mileage. Don't forget that most car warranties only go to 60,000 miles so you'll be out of warranty for at least half the time you own the car. This is one of the reasons why I bought a Hyundai as I'll do 160,000 to 180,000 in 5 years and am expecting any failure of non wear and tear items to be covered by the warranty.

Car allowance??? - NARU

As someone who opted out of the company car scheme to buy my own car a couple of years ago, here are my tips.

The car allowance is taxable. Don't forget to gross it up!

It is still possible to have a fuel card for a private car - you just pay tax on the fuel that was used for personal use. If you go this route you'll need to keep a log.

Lots of insurers will give you a decent starting NCD for insurance, especially if the company cna say you're claim free for a few years. If you can't find anyone, approach the broker who insures your company car fleet.

If your contract specifies a company car, then it needs your agreement to make the change. Its up to you to come up with a spreadsheet which shows the cost of running your own car.

If you want some costs for leasing your own car, try lings website (google ling car leasing). Don't forget to add servicing, tyres etc.

Make sure you know what rate they'll reinburse you for fuel, especially with your mileage.

I notice the new ssangyong gives a 5 year unlimited miles warranty, including wear and tear. Might be worth a look.

They pay All my fuel private and personal with the fuel card so im guessing i Wont have to deal with mileage reimbursement?
Car allowance??? - NARU

I fthey still provide the fuel card, then there's no need for claiming reimbursement. You will however have to keep a log - If its a private car, the rules work differently.

If its a company car, the taxman assumes that you do a certain level of private mileage and you pay tax on a notional value of having the free fuel.

When its a private car, you don't pay tax on the fuel used for business travel, but you do pay tax on the fuel used for private.

So if you do 50,000 miles business and 5,000 personal and the company pays for 1100 gallons of fuel (50mpg), that will cost them around £6600 (£6/gallon).

You only pay tax on the personal miles - so tax on £600 of benefit. If you pay 40% tax, that's £240 or £20 a month.

Edited by Marlot on 07/10/2011 at 10:43

Well thats the car allowance b*****ed then A's i dont even have a deposit. The company pays my private fuel too. In All i put in about between 100 and 500 pound a week. A's it currently is i pay 40 pound Per month for fuel tax, bargain!!! Unfortunately i have to dó lors of mies A's im the traumer for uk and Europe so its my job plus the fact i live 150 miles away from the office and have to go in whenever i dont have appts. Thanks for the Info......All in All i Think im knackered
Car allowance??? - NARU

You're only knackered if the allowance isn't high enough. I think its up to you to show them how much they'd have to pay you in additional allowance to replicate your current deal.

PS. Travel from home to the office is normally counted as personal mileage, unless your official work location is home. You need to watch this in your calculations - this aspect alone could put you in a significantly worse position.

Car allowance??? - pugswhdi

This could get very difficult for you as there is lots to take in and the advice so far seems helpful. I thought I'd add my bit in and say something a bit out of the box. Why not try to use the car less? It might be possible to use other forms of transport to cut much of the mileage down and as you'll get a receipt (or use a company credit card) for the journey it should be straight forward to claim it back. Another option would be to mix and match this with hire cars. I know a place that found running pool cars was expensive and not flexible but then they found that paying people to use their own cars was also expensive. In the end they set up a contract with a local car hire place and everyone involved was happy.

ps - Is it just me who thinks that a 1.4 civic is an odd company car choice for 50k a year?

I dont earn 50k a yr!! I do 50k miles a year!!! And no cutting down isn't an option though I am going to ask to work from home instead of going to the office when I don't have appointments xx
Car allowance??? - Collos25

Don't forget if you use your own car for work purposes then you have to have the appropiate insurance this can prove to be quite expensive.

Car allowance??? - Big John

Ignoring fuel - Back of a fag packet calculation based on Hyundai i30 1.4(5yr unlimited warranty) purchased new from drivethedeal and run for 5 years then thrown away:-

£11000 - Hyundai i30 classic 1.4(inc 1 year car tax) (£12k loan about £200 month for 60 months excl redundancy insurance)

£460 - car tax years 2-5

£3000 - service (no cam belt)

£4000 - tyres @£800 year(two replacements per year!)

£2500 - insurance £500 year(clearly variable)

£200 - 2 MOTs

£21,000 If you add this lot together = £4200 year = £350 month (excluding borrowing costs)

5 year unlimited warranty so no nasty surprises

Cam chain - so no belt replacement

Sligtly simplified view but I've done a form of this in the past

1)Buy the car with a bank loan.

2)open a separate account to pay your allowance and company car tax savings (be honest!) into – important to keep this separate from your normal finances.

3)Pay car expenditure (loan and servicing etc..) out of this. The best way is to judge the financial balance so that the account gradually builds over the years, if you want a better car then supplement it with an additional monthly payment.

I know you would prefer a company car, but if you are stuck with the situation then make the best of it. Due to the current financial climate probably not a good time to protest and dig your heals in - keep your head down!

Edited by Big John on 07/10/2011 at 22:15

Thank you for all your help. I can't get a loan .....I'm currently in the process of getting divorced trying to cobble together money to buy a house from my 28k a yr and loan companies won't touch me thank goodness.
I'll leave u all in peace thank unall, most appreciated!!
Car allowance??? - Avant

I agree with Oldtoffee above. 40-50k a year is a ridiculously hugh milesge to expect you to drive in your own car - worn out and worth nothing after 2-3 years.

A company run by stupid men in suits who don't understand what their employees do for a living is not one that deserves your working for them. You need a job that either gives you a car or expects you to drive fewer miles.

We fully intend to fight this change from company car....I have no wish to pay 40% tax for a start!!! Owned by the kiwis who tbh are still living in 1975! Such a backward country!!