What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Double Standards Officer. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
From the pages of "SuperBike" magazine (January 2003 edition -
Copyright acknowldged)

DOUBLE STANDARDS OFFICER?

Emergency services 'zine reveals Northants plod idiocy

Our mole on the inside sent in an edition of the emergency services
magazine, called "999" (no, not the Ducati kind) where an article
featured Northamptonshire Police and its war against speeding
motorcycles. Operation Scramble specifically targeted speeding bikes
and detailed their their policy of stop-checking riders for various
offences. Rockingham and Santa Pod were suggested as alternative
suggestions for speed related malarkey. Strange, then, that a mere
seven pages later an article on the new Mini Cooper S is printed,
heralding its 135 mph capability and seven second 0 - 60 times. The
article went on to say "the important figures I like to quote are the
50 - 75 mph overtake time" and last time we looked, 75 mph was illegal
and surely not important at all. So next time you get pulled by
Northamptonshire Police just say you were testing the important
overtaking figures they suggested in 999 magazine.

--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Double Standards Officer. - SteveH42
I recall being told that you can indeed break the speed limit legally. I can't remember the full terms, but it was to allow you to overtake safely and provided you dropped back down to the limit as soon as the pass was completed. Is this correct?

While we are on the subject, I wish driving instructors would teach people the difference between overtaking and passing. I'm sure I'm not the only person to get infuriated by people who pull out to overtake people on a 2 lane road and, for example, potter along at 58 mph overtaking a line of lorries doing 56. If you want to overtake someone, pull out, accelerate to a more reasonable speed to get past them, then drop back once you have done so. It causes far less frustration and potential accidents. (Also applies on motorways in that it causes more holdups)
I recall being told that you can indeed break the speed
limit legally. I can't remember the full terms, but it was
to allow you to overtake safely and provided you dropped back
down to the limit as soon as the pass was completed.
Is this correct?

A policeman once told me that every crime on the book has a statutory defence of necessity.

Not sure this is true though ?cos of the guys in Victorian times who, while stuck in a boat at sea ate one of their number.

They had to be found guilty. (But were immediately pardoned).

Pugugly will tell us.

--
Double Standards Officer. - dave18
Ive just covered a hypothetical case on this during my law degree! I don't think *ALL* crimes carry that defence. Just like in Contract, you can't exclude liability for death or personal injury, and in murder you can't rely n the defence on necessity. I think. But it is early days so if I am corrected, I will be grateful.
Double Standards Officer. - Onetap
"Not sure this is true though ?cos of the guys in Victorian times who, while stuck in a boat at sea ate one of their number."

I think that they'd been tried because they'd killed and eaten the cabin-boy, the smallest and weakest, but the customary etiquette was to draw straws. Not really motoring related, unless you're in a mini-bus stuck in a snow drift over Christmas.

Ho Ho Ho.
Which Backroomer would you eat? - Toad, of Toad Hall.
I think that they'd been tried because they'd killed and eaten
the cabin-boy, the smallest and weakest, but the customary etiquette was
to draw straws. Not really motoring related, unless you're in a
mini-bus stuck in a snow drift over Christmas.

My lips are watering at the thought!

DVD will have been fattened up on a strick lifetime diet of coffee and donuts.

HJ will have mainly be eating burgers from the van at the auctions.

Tough call.

Need to give this some thought.

--
Double Standards Officer. - Wally Zebon

>>I recall being told that you can indeed break the speed limit
>>legally. I can't remember the full terms, but it was to allow
>>you to overtake safely and provided you dropped back down to
>>the limit as soon as the pass was completed.

I've always wanted to test out this "loop-hole" on a motorway. Seeing as the three lanes of a motorway are defined as...

Lane 1 - Normal driving
Lanes 2 & 3 - Overtaking

Does this mean that I can fly down lane 3 at 120mph as long as I get below 70 as soon as I re-enter lane 1? I'm not so sure that it'd be worth loosing my licence for, just to try and prove a possible loop-hole.

Double Standards Officer. - Dwight Van Driver

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 Part V1 deals with speeding which is an absolute offence. There are no defences listed i.e. to complete an overtake etc.

Section 87 contains the exemption for vehicles used on an occasion for fire, ambulance and police purposes if observance of the speed limit would be likely to hinder the use of the vehicle.

I seem to recall in the past there was an obscure Regulation which exempted Military Vehicles being used as such and proceeding to a theatre of war , but have lost the reference.

Of note perhaps where a person is threatened with death or serious physical injury unless they carry out a criminal act, they may have the defence of Duress, (i.e. Car-jacker armed with gun or knife in an attempt to make a get-a-way orders driver to speed)

DVD
Double Standards Officer. - Pugugly {P}
What more can I say ?? other than add Pit Rescue Teams to the list.
Double Standards Officer. - DavidHM
Dave, it's not just 'necessity' but duress that you can't rely on for murder, i.e., if it's kill or be killed, you're supposed to choose 'be killed'.
Of note perhaps where a person is threatened with death or
serious physical injury unless they carry out a criminal act, they
may have the defence of Duress, (i.e. Car-jacker armed with gun
or knife in an attempt to make a get-a-way orders driver
to speed)

So, hypothetically, do the crown have to prove there was *no* duress or do you have to prove there was duress.

I'm tempted to claim I was being held at knifepoint every time an SP50 flutters through the door...
--
Double Standards Officer. - PatriciaX
There are some absolute/automatic offences to which, in practice, there is no opportunity to enter a defense. However, this does grate against the innocent until PROVEN guilty. Its all theory, though, but keeps them happy in the jurisprudence classes. With the "overtaking at 70+" thing, the law says that you are never justified in over-taking at 71mph. You shoudln't need to overtake someone who is doing 28 in a 30. If their doing 17, then you can overtake them at 30. If you on a 60mph road, and someone is going 55, then you have no business overtaking them (so the law says) but if their going 40, then you can overtake them at 60. If you can't fit in the overtaking on the stretch of road you've chosen, going at 60, then you havent given yourself enough room to overtake and should not do so.

And if you kill someone under duress or of necessity, it would be murder with a defence. You may be charged with it and found guilty even, but you would walk free with a defence of justification. Guildty murder has to be done with intent or malice aforethought. Any other killing will be manslaughter. If you feel that your life is at risk, you'd be covered by self-defence: which has to be reasonable in the circumstances: meaning, if someone was pushing you around with their little pinky finger, it would not do to blow off their head with a shorn-off

However, it gets a bit tricky if you're under duress by someone to kill a third party. I doubt any jury would find someone guilty of murder if you had a gun to your head and, in turn, you were forced to hold a gun to another. But there are no hard and fast rules here.

Where are you reading, Dave?

Patricia
x

Double Standards Officer. - Orson {P}
I seem to remember a year or two back some chap going into a gunshop and taking one of the shop assistants hostage at knifepoint. Manager of shop came out of the back room with a (legally held) gun and shot the erstwhile crim, who later died of injuries. I'm pretty sure that he was not charged with anything at all, using the immediated danger rule, I suppose, in much the same way that whenever our worthy constables blow someone's head off, as long as the procedures have been followed, then they don't get done for murder/m'slaughter.

On a slightly different slant, does anyone know if they've sorted out the problem with the armed response units that meant whenever they shot someone, they were suspended, leading to a big reduction in the numbers of armed police, especially in the Met area?

Orson
Double Standards Officer. - Orson {P}
or even "immediate danger" rule...

Sorry,

O
Double Standards Officer. - BrianW
A police officer aquaintance has resisted applying to the armed unit for that very reason: i.e. months suspended whilst having to prove that you needed to fire.
A police officer aquaintance has resisted applying to the armed unit
for that very reason: i.e. months suspended whilst having to prove
that you needed to fire.

Hang on. This reads as though he likes the idea of shooting people but the papaerwork put's him off?
--
Double Standards Officer. - BrianW
"This reads as though he likes the idea of shooting people but the papaerwork put's him off?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads."

Absolutely, it's your opinion and interpretation.

But incorrect.
Double Standards Officer. - eMBe {P}
Toad: As usual, I think you are just trying to provoke a response and have succeded in my case. my question to you is this:

Do you know of any instances where anyone has been prodecuted for driving at 75mph or even 80mph in a 70mph limit?

Correct me if I am wrong, but unless you are also in breach of other traffic laws, you are unlikely to be prosecuted for exceeding the limit up to about 10-15%. If you are stopped within these limits, you are likely just to receive a gentle ticking off. I was stopped on a dual carriageway on my first visit to Durham some while back. I had entered a 30mph zone from a 50mph zone and did not realise it. The Police Officers who stopped me were very polite, pointed out my mistake, and let me go on my way - since when I am more observant of limit signs!
Double Standards Officer. - Mark (RLBS)
Cut it out Toad, this frequent poking at people with a stick just to get a reaction is becoming tiresome.
BrianW: Sorry.

M.B: I can't actually see what you're replying to. But yeah. I agree there's lot of leeway given.
--