Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - stewart37

The days of high mileage diesels seem to be at an end - discuss! We have had our Focus diesel for 5 years with not too many major problems. However, after 80,000 miles it has been 1 problem after another. First the alternator went last winter - £600 kerching! Had the car serviced before a trip to France in August £450 Kerching! The Ford garage informed that the DPF fluid needed topping up an extra £99 Kerching! At this point we had no idea what a DPF was and that the car had one!

Off to France safe in the knowledge that the car was ok or so we thought. 800 miles in on came the engine warning light. The car was duly towed to a Ford dealer where it took 2 weeks to fix! £610 for a new EGR valve Kerching! Back to blighty another 800 miles , 2 days after getting back on comes the warning light again, loss of power... drove slowly to our local Ford garage to be told that the DPF was clogged and must be replaced cost...£1100 !!! No Kerching because we are not going to have the work done instead we will get rid.

The car is only worth £2000 so who is going to spend £1100 on a filter! My point is that diesels of old could clatter on for years with regular servicing. But now with the advent of DPF`s and the high cost of replacement renders the car uneconomic. The case for diesel now seems obsolete - my next car probably a Pug 207 sw will cost less in the first place, less to maintain, less to fill and should be mid 40mpg. It should also be capable of 80000 miles plus with no nasty suprises after that!

Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - daveyjp

"£610 for a new EGR valve"

They saw you coming - £200 tops.

Alternators go on any car, all cars need servicing so exclude these costs, but the rest of your post is why I went back to a simple petrol engined vehicle 6 months ago after 10 years of diesel ownership. My last diesel had an EGR failure and DPF issues after 25,000 miles so I traded it PDQ.

Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - stewart37

We thought it was steep! But after 2 weeks without the car we just wanted to get back home.

They had us over a barrel! Petrol cars for us from now on.

Thanks for the reply!

Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - unthrottled

less to fill and should be mid 40mpg

You'll do well to get mid forties from a 207SW petrol. A comparable diesel driven in the same fashion would get over 60. Bear in mind that diesel is over 10% denser than petrol, so you're getting more for your money in spite of the ~2-3% difference in price.

Ford diesels were never particularly good, but that is Ford's fault, not a fault with diesel engines per se.

Petrol engines tend to be simpler than modern diesels, but as they try to get petrol engines to compete with diesel economy, you'll find that they suffer from similar problems.

Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - jamie745

See i was always brought up being told that diesel engines were bulletproof and indeed they are made out of robust materials and weigh as much as Jupiter but the silly things they're adding to them now to comply with emissions regulations are damaging the affordability of the car. Theres no point in making a car in a low tax band with good fuel consumption if they have to replace parts which didnt exist 10 years ago which have been bulldozed through on us by politicians and penpushers, not engineers and at considerable cost as well.

I remember the older diesels, smoked alot but were built like a tank and would always get you home, remember the stories of 400k on a Volvo etc? Would a modern diesel manage that? Doubtful.

It was only a few years ago that diesel was cheaper to buy than petrol and manufacturers charged less or around the same for their diesel models, as fuel got more expensive true enough all that changed and now we're paying thousands in a premium for a diesel car which is actually more likely to go wrong.

You have to ask yourself, what is the point in trying to make petrols meet diesels economy if it also increases the risk of them going wrong and wiping out the saving?

Edited by jamie745 on 08/09/2011 at 22:58

You have to ask yourself, what is the point in trying to make petrols meet diesels economy if it also increases the risk of them going wrong and wiping out the saving?

Quite. Fuel economy is not particularly important for someone who has a low annual mileage. Or at least it wouldn't be if people weren't bullied by idiotic VED rates...

Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - Avant

If you're looking for a reliable, economical petrol car of that size you should look at a Toyota Yaris or Corolla. If it needs to be an estate consider a Skoda Fabia as well. Perhaps even a Nissan Note. Personally I'd choose any of those over a 207.

Thinking about VED rates, my daughter's 59-reg Yaris 1.3 costs only £30 pa.

Edited by Avant on 08/09/2011 at 23:24

So my car equals 15 of your daughters Yaris?

Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - daveyjp

"Ford diesels were never particularly good,"

Except the 1.6 TDCi is a PSA diesel - Peugeot/Citroen

True.

But they didn't have problems with failing turbos. Ford installations did.

Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - Bobbin Threadbare

I used commute 120 miles a day in a 1.6L petrol Focus. It got decent mpg and it was very reliable. I was definitely in the mileage range where a diesel would have been worth it, but the petrol car served me well.

Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - arnold2

Yep I am afraid you are right, the era of 'buy a diesel because you can run it for 200k+ and little goes wrong' is OVER! Here is what happened to me - 2 Focus Diesels, on my second, first one had DMF fail, the fuel pump went awol. 2nd one has had new DMF, I think the fuel pump is getting dodgy.... I could go on, numerous stuff once the car is over 60k/3years. Diesel's now only make sense for someone who has the car for those 3 warrantied years - maybe a Kia or Hyundai with the longer warrantly would be the ONLY way I would run a diesel now! What am I buying next? Most probably a Honda Civic petrol - no turbos, common rail, EGR, DMF!

Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - gordonbennet

This thread highlights how vitally important it is to research any car thoroughly before purchase, and to have plans pencilled in place to short circuit any potential problems.

Taking the Focus in the OP, once the DPF was getting to the point of needing topping up i'd have had pre arranged plans to have the DPF removed and the ECU reprogrammed to accept it's removal, remappers and others offer this service now**

Similarly the EGR is a known problem with Diesels especially and needs removing and cleaning regularly, or by passing which is a permanent cure.

Doing these two jobs would remove 90% of the potential problems of this car anyway.

The days of Diesel are far from over and those who use them day in day out getting them hot with long runs still have the most cost effective transport there is (mazda 6 excepted), however for stop start users the modern especially DPF equipped Diesel isn't suitable for everyone unless you take certain precautions.

I loved my old Diesels , bullet proof if serviced properly and little to go wrong, but no one would buy one anymore, the TG mob would slate it and the sheep who follow their every word like the gospel would repeat the mantra, and you can't have old school Diesels anymore cos they won't pass the emissions directives of the EU masterstate.

** anyone thinking of removing their DPF should consider what might happen when the forthcoming MOT changes take effect and the tester checks for mods and emissions, i've asked the question about this for a long time now and no one knows the answer, the remapper/tuner has a vested interest but who does know?

Might be a bit like the decat boys at MOT time, refit for test and remove after, not as any of us would condone such a thing..;)

Ive never been a fan of diesels in general but i wouldnt say that makes me part of the 'TG Mob' i have owned one diesel, a 406 HDi and i loved that car, always kept the windows shut as it was a bit loud but it went anywhere (including three feet of snow), never went wrong and ran on fumes. Some taxi firms still use them, even 10 year old ones, perhaps the question of 'why havent they switched to new diesels' doesnt need asking then.

Its telling that all the parts going wrong on modern diesels are parts which werent required or used 10 years ago, its parts invented, purely on the emissions ticket which go wrong and force owners to pay through the nose even more to keep their cars on the roads. Parts which the cars dont need, simple. I'd still take an older diesel with 150k on it with no DPF's etc over a brand new one. Once again its all based on the green ticket, funny how all 'green laws' force car owners to pay out more cash, hmmm.

Ludicrous fuel prices, largely driven by tax rather than oil prices led to diesel becoming more popular so then the EU decided car makers had to clean diesel up, they've done that but wiped out the cost saving as a result. So now the focus is on trying to make petrol's more economical, the problem is to do that they need to make them more unreliable by putting stupid parts on them in order to do that.

Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - grimep

Another thing to bear in mind with a diesel is if it was registered after 1 jul 2008 the MOT emission test is more stringent, though whether that makes much of a difference in the real world I dunno.

I've recently aquired a Focus with the 1.6TDCi and I made sure it had no DPF (the 90bhp model tends not to, the 110 tends to have it, though you need to check). These engines are very sensitive and while they promise great economy, you need to ensure regular oil changes with good fully synthetic low-ash oil, or sludge formationcan be a problem, which can take out the turbo. Next oil change I will probably get the sump dropped for an inspection of the oil pickup, and change the turbo oil-feed pipe which has an integral filter that can clog up causing turbo fail. Knowing all the issues I still went for this engine, they can't all be bad right?!

Thanks to modern emissions and fuel economy issues, diesels have been getting less reliable over the last 10 years, however the DPFs fitted to new cars are often now maintenance free.

So in other words, if the Greens went and jumped down a well and the Government didnt make fuel cost a fortune when its really cheap it'd still be viable to have a reliable diesel which actually worked?

Focus 1.6TDCI Estate - Focus Diesel Problems - grimep

well, kinda. The 2008- 1.6TDCi has a £30 a year tax disc and I'm getting 57-61mpg, that's 500+ miles on a £60ish tank, as opposed to 350 miles in my old 1.8 VAG petrol. Savings which will be wiped out if anything expensive goes wrong, of course! Fingers crossed....

Well thats around 12p a mile in fuel. Not to be sniffed at is it!?