Ford focus 1.8tdi 2001 - Handbrake needs replacing? - knownowtaboutcars!
My 2001 1.8 ford focus has just failed MOT due to the handbrake only having 16% reserve. it was tightened in june but i still wouldnt trust it on a hill! So would this mean the cable(s) need replacing? If so which ones or all? I dont really trust them as they wouldnt give a quote without taking payment and they also wanted £120 for rear tyre (i just had this replased today at £46), so just wanted a few opinions so i have alittle knowledge when speaking to other garages as I know nothing about cars and don't want to get ripped off.
Ford focus 1.8tdi 2001 - Handbrake needs replacing? - dereckr

You might be wrong to base your assumption of the garage on a replacement tyre cost. They are likely to be quoting for a premium brand (you needed to ask). The £46 tyre you had fitted is not.

I bought new radical and they quoted for avon, which I was told are both pretty basic and much in price difference. It was the fact they were asking me for money up front that made me dubious, I have never had a garage ask for any money up front before.
Ford focus 1.8tdi 2001 - Handbrake needs replacing? - piston power

Worn rear brake pads/shoes does affect the performance of the handbrake, so don't rule these out.

You need a full brake check at the likes of kwik fit who will strip the brakes down and inspect and give you a written report.

Had new brakes front and rear fitted in June, I presume that includes what you stated above. I like said I'm clueless about cars!