What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
what 4x4? and pinin advice - carrielouise

hi all I have seen a nice 4x4 2000 MITSUBISHI SHOGUN 1.8 PININ GLS GDI BUT the seller as said the following about it: it starts first time and ticks over fine but as soon as you put your foot on the throttle it cuts out, anyone any ideas? I basically want a cheap 4x4 by the winter months for the bad weather and to go to the stables in my nicer, newer car is getting trashed going to the stables everyday. I do not intend to tow with it, I dont really want to spend more than £1k as it really will be a 2nd car. I have also looked at a mid 1990's disco but worried about costs on them

what 4x4? and pinin advice - Avant

You've got a bit of time before winter to find something that hasn't got something obviously wrong with it: bear in mind that there are almost certainly other faults that the seller isn't telling you about.

See if you can find a small Suzuki 4x4 or Toyota RAV-4 if what you really want is ground clearance and don't need to tow a horse-box.

what 4x4? and pinin advice - jamie745

Also check out Mitsubishi Pajero, essentially a Shogun but for less money.

what 4x4? and pinin advice - unthrottled

GDI engines were (are) notorious for coking up the throttle body, inlet valves and ports and this can cause various problems. Assuming the injector nozzles aren't caked in deposits, the odds are that the throttle ody just needsa very good clean and possible a new MAF sensor. But only take on someone else's problem if there you know someone who is good with engines and the price is right!

what 4x4? and pinin advice - NARU

The pinin didn't sell that well, so you'll be visiting mitsubishi themselves for spares.

To meet the brief you've given, I'd suggest looking at suzuki - reliable and cheap. Not that fast or comfortable though (depending on model).

Or a hilux surf would be a good alternative.

Edited by Marlot on 28/08/2011 at 10:49

what 4x4? and pinin advice - Alby Back

I'd echo Avant's suggestion of tracking down an old Suzuki. I spent a summer holiday once doing some fairly serious off-roading in an old Vitara 1.6 petrol. That one was a convertble too and had switchable drive. Either RWD only or 4WD. Wasn't a ball of fire on roads but it was comfy enough. Unstoppable off road although to be clear it did have pretty chunky off road tyres fitted. Seem to think it still managed 30+ mpg despite the use it was getting. Not sure what you'd get for your budget but they're not all that dear now I shouldn't think. Seem fairly reliable too. Rust might be more of a problem than mechanicals on the older ones.

what 4x4? and pinin advice - gordonbennet

Agree with the Vitara and other Suzuki recommendations, but don't overlook Daihatsu Sportrac or Terios, unlikely to find a Fourtrack in good order people don't sell good ones.

Marlot has a good point that you'll be going to Mitsi dealers for most parts and likely repairs for a Pinin, those will be painful visits.