Volvo 440 1.6iLe (petrol) - What kind of AntiFreeze to use on old Volvo 440? - Quicksilver

I have to change the antifreeze on my old Volvo 440 1.6i (petrol). The coolant capacity is approximately 7 litres.

I always use concentrated coolant when I change the antifreeze and have noticed that the price of standard ethylene glycol based antifreeze is now only marginally cheaper than the newer OAT based antifreeze. The OAT antifreeze lasts for much longer and is a better bet from a reduced maintenance perspective.

My question is would it be OK to use the newer coolant in an older car? I would obviously thoroughly flush out the old coolant and gunge using a hose. Are there any risks in using the OAT coolant with this older engine which has a cast iron block and alloy cylinder head? The water pump is external and is driven by the alternator belt.

Anything else to be aware of?

Thanks in advance Q.

Volvo 440 1.6iLe (petrol) - What kind of AntiFreeze to use on old Volvo 440? - SlidingPillar

OAT antifreeze is not recommended for older engines. It can cause leaks if a engine was not designed for it. FBHVC (Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs) covers it somewhere on their website and so do others

Whether the 440 engine is safe, I could not say. I'd not class a 440 Volvo as an old car myself.