What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - High Mileage Honda Jazz SE Sport CVT - Solitas

Hi All, first time poster here :)

I've been eyeing a car for the wife to do her travelling in (commuting for work, shopping etc). I've read that the Honda Jazz is front runner when it comes to supermini's and seems an ideal choice for her needs.

I spotted a Jazz at a local Garage, 06 plate, FSH, for £3750. But my main worry is that it has 95k miles on the clock, do you think that the high mileage per year is a cause for concern? Or can Honda reliability outweight that?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Honda Jazz - High Mileage Honda Jazz SE Sport CVT - Mike H

Having owned a number of cars that put high mileage on quickly, I wouldn't hesitate as long as it's been looked after (look for bills, quality of service history etc).. Although I know nothing about CVTs, my Saab 9-5 automatic has n´had no gearbox related problems - because of the electronics, it's harder to overstress an auto box than a manual. And on mine, no clutch to worry about. Other parts can wear on the car obviously but a quick drive will tell you how it's screwed together and how it's holding the miles.

Honda Jazz - High Mileage Honda Jazz SE Sport CVT - Solitas

I forgot to mention, she'll only be doing about 4-5k miles annually and whatever we buy, we plan to keep for at least 4-5years.

Honda Jazz - High Mileage Honda Jazz SE Sport CVT - piston power

Buy it there a good car my parents have had 3x of them, id try to get the price down a bit though haggle with cash in your hand.

Honda Jazz - High Mileage Honda Jazz SE Sport CVT - madf

The CVT requires oil changes every 25k miles IIRC - otherwise big bang and much expense...

Check the service records - and it has been changed using the correct oil - which is Honda specified and not a standrad...

4-5k miles pa means lots of short runs so mpg will suffer.. a lot.

Honda Jazz - High Mileage Honda Jazz SE Sport CVT - Bobbin Threadbare

Hi Solitas and welcome.

The Jazz seems to be a popular and reliable car and that's actually not a bad price (where I live anyway) for it, although I bet you could get it down a bit.

Have you looked at anything else? If it's a cheap hatchback you're after you can get a 2008 Kia Picanto for £4k, which will still have 4 years warranty left or a VW Fox/Polo. My mum runs a Toyota Aygo for absolute peanuts - she puts maybe 2.5k miles on it p.a. and the only thing that has gone awry is a rusty exhaust (due to the low usage and living by the sea). If it's a 1.4L/1.6L engine you're after, everything in that bracket on Autotrader seems to be a Focus or a Seat Ibiza, and I bet the Jazz is cheaper overall than those!

Honda Jazz - High Mileage Honda Jazz SE Sport CVT - daveyK_UK

im sure you can get that price down to nearer £3 grand.

Honda Jazz - High Mileage Honda Jazz SE Sport CVT - John Boy

I think HJ's review of that era of Jazz, especially the What's Bad section, would put me off that particular car. It's high mileage and it's getting on a bit.

Honda Jazz - High Mileage Honda Jazz SE Sport CVT - Roly93

My brother in law had a Jazz from new. It is now a 55 plate with low mileage, and has had a gearbox rebuild under warranty, and now has another failed bearing in the gearbox at 30K miles. So much for invincible Honda engineering !