What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica VVTLi Overheating Nightmare - 4x4monster

Hi. I bought my Celica around 3 months ago. It's a 1999 gen7 on a "v" plate and has done 90K miles.

All was well until a month ago when it suddenly started overheating with no warning signs.

The car has been to 2 mechanics now, the first could not fix it and the second is running out of ideas.

Here is a rundown of what has been done to it so for.

The car will drive for around 4 miles from cold before the temp gauge goes to max.

the first mechanic suspected a blown head gasket, so done a "sniff" test on it, this showed no problems. he then suspected a stuck thermostat, this was changed with a new part, car still overheats.

Car then went to second mechanic, he suspected a broken water pump, so he stripped it out and found no fault with it, he also double checked the thermostat was working correctly. He then suspected a blockage somewhere, so thought the most likely place would be the radiator, so this was changed for a new one. Still overheating!!

He then checked the entire system for any more blockages, he said there was a slight blockage in the heater matrix, so that was cleaned out. He then bled the system following the proper Toyota procedure. Still exactly the same!!

He then also suggested a failed head gasket, so done a compression test to look for signs of leakage, all cylinders have good compression.

The car will take around 20 mins to heat up from cold at idle, and the fans are working. there is no hot air from the heaters.

So at the moment the car is sitting with everyone out of ideas.

if anybody has any ideas of what could be wrong i would greatly appreciate it.

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica VVTLi Overheating Nightmare - unthrottled

there is no hot air from the heaters.

There's probably an airlock in the heating system somewhere. You'll just have to keep working at the system to try and clear it. The cooling passage geometry of modern engines makes this a common problem. I like to get the engine hot (ie thermostat open) and then suddenly depressurise the cooling system to try to move an air lock along. Plenty of revs to get the coolant velocity up.

Always check for correct heater function before replacing parts!

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica VVTLi Overheating Nightmare - Peter.N.

Is it actually boiling? If not could be a faulty sensor/gauge. A failed head gasket will not automaticaly cause it to boil but it will blow the water out of the overflow/filler cap and the loss of water causes it to boil.

Edited by Peter.N. on 15/08/2011 at 19:59

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica VVTLi Overheating Nightmare - 4x4monster

im not sure if it's actually boiling but it blew a water pipe off after a 3 mile drive and the gague on the dash slowly climbs to max when driving.

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica VVTLi Overheating Nightmare - galileo

Could one of the hoses be partly blocked ? Sometimes the inner lining can separate from the fabric reinforcement and form a restriction.