What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Essential Service Items - Trying To Focus

I have a 2001 Ford Focus Hatchback. In the last two years it has had no service of any kind, and has covered 20,000 miles. I have added a small drop of oil. Only has 70,000 on the clock. I plan to run it into the ground, so resale value isn't a concern. What essential service should I do in order to keep it reliable?

Thanks

Ford Focus - Essential Service Items - Chris M

No service in the last two years.

20,000 miles

Plan to run it into the ground

I don't think you need any help from us!

Ford Focus - Essential Service Items - Trying To Focus

Actually it hasn't broken down once. It's passed its MOT's without difficulty, and I'm still getting the same fuel mileage I was when I bought it.

Now, got any helpful comments?

OK, a helpful comment.

The most important thing is an annual oil & filter change if you want the engine to keep going. Everything else is preventative or safety related. Giving the car an annual once over will identify things that may fail and leave you either stranded or, more importantly, in hospital (or mortuary) i.e. brakes, steering & tyres. An MoT is not a substitute for a service.

Ford Focus - Essential Service Items - unthrottled

Has the cambelt been done yet?

Ford Focus - Essential Service Items - Ben 10

I think thats the least on his/her mind. Running it into the ground. A snapped cambelt will see to that!

I think the idea is to keep it going as long as possible!

Perhaps the OP could tell us what the game plan is?

"keeping it going as long as possible" and "running it into the ground" aren't the same thing. The first requires a reasonable level of servicing, whilst the second could mean do absolutely nothing and see what happens. To my mind, bangernomics requires a bit of essential servicing with the use of cheap/second hand parts as required, as the aim is to get cheap motoring. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean finding a replacement every six months because you ignore very basic servicing.

Ha ha!

'Running it into the ground' means that the owner does not intend to sell the car again ie he is the final owner before the car is scrapped. It doesn't mean he is actively trying to break it!

Ford Focus - Essential Service Items - Roly93

No service for 20k is naughty but not terminal as long as the car has never run low on oil during this time. The Focus is a simple car by modern standards and so probably only needs an oil change with 3w30 semi synth and a new oil filter. A new set of plugs and a new air filter wont break the bank either.

Rear brakes are probably still okay as they are drums, but check how much meat is on the front pads and you should then be okay. I almost forgot the cam belt is due 10yr or 100k miles on these.

Edited by Roly93 on 31/07/2011 at 19:13

Ford Focus - Essential Service Items - rightcar

I think this has all got a bit silly TBH. The OP has just asked a reasonable question. I keep my cars very well serviced because I understand cars and know the ins and outs..the OP may not and to address the 20k and no service remark...a mate of mine bought a brand spanking new ford sierra in the late 90's and he did 70K before doing an oiul change, sure the brake pads were changed as well as tyres when needed but that was it..it ran like a dream.

OP

Change the oil and oil filter, take the plugs out and give them a clean up with a wire brush or renew them..if you are feeling enthused by all the activity..change the air filter and fuel filters too..should give you endless trouble free ( engine anyway) miles. Check the cam belt for cracks, broken or missing teeth and so on..change it if looks as though it hasn't been changed since new. The Zetec engines are fairly bullet proof if looked after so at 70K it will have loads of life left in it yet.

Ford Focus - Essential Service Items - Roly93

Check the cam belt for cracks, broken or missing teeth and so on..change it if looks as though it hasn't been changed since new. The Zetec engines are fairly bullet proof if looked after so at 70K it will have loads of life left in it yet.

You cannot decide not to change a cam belt based on a visual inspection. A cam belt can look perfect and still break due to age. In fact by the time time you had spotted any damage it would be too late anyway most likely. However you are right that the Zetec engines are no nonsense engines with good longevity as long as they haven't been run low on oil, even if this oil is old.

Ford Focus - Essential Service Items - rightcar

Nonsense..sorry.

I see cracked, worn cambelts with teeth missing daily ..I also see cam belts that are near new with the manufacturers stamps still on them..a decision on condition can be made.