What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 - Ford Focus 1.8 Speedo keeps stopping - suewalker60

I bought the car 6 weeks ago and noticed this problem straight away, although it is irritating I live with it, last week the car did its usual thing of speedo, odometer and radio losing power and engine cutting out when slowing down, when the engine kicked back in, there was a loud rumbling noise coming from the engine and also fuel consumption has doubled, i'm getting around 100 miles for £30. Has anyone any ideas on this and could it be connected to the previous speedo problem??

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 - Ford Focus 1.8 Speedo keeps stopping - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 - Ford Focus 1.8 Speedo keeps stopping - BenG

You don't state the age of your car but I have an '03 Focus and the instrument binnacle packed up - symptoms were randomly illuminating warning lights and dials going to zero, then returning to life. This was apparently a common problem for Focuses of this era and the repair consists of replacing the instrument binnacle - at a subsidised cost of £100 by Ford.

If it's just the speedo playing up, then I think there's some sort of vehicle speed sensor somewhere on the gearbox which transmits a speed signal to the speedo. Might be worth cleaning/checking electrical connections first before replacing the sensor?

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 - Ford Focus 1.8 Speedo keeps stopping - suewalker60

Its a 2000 focus and that was the problem till about a week ago and now its sounding like a tank and running really rough, just wondered if the two problems might be linked to the speedo stopping, its using twice as much fuel as well

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 - Ford Focus 1.8 Speedo keeps stopping - mikej

The speedo dropping to zero and loss of power are definitely symptoms of a failing vehicle speed sensor (vss) - not sure about your other symptoms though.

Try searching this forum for 'vss' - there are lots of posts on this problem on here, including a few from me, as I replaced mine on my old Focus.