Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia - X plate (2000) - Temperature gague in the red when driving at speed - RedLake

When driving at motorway speeds of 70-75mph the temperature gauge goes right up into to red. When you back off down to 50-60 mph, it falls back to about the 2/3rds point.

The header tank is up to the max mark with coolant, and it does not appear to lose any fluid. It does not appear to overheat when sitting in traffic, so it seems puzzling. I thought it normally gets cooler at speed due to increase airflow?

Any ideas what the cause might be, and should I be worried about it?

Cheers

Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia - X plate (2000) - Temperature gague in the red when driving at speed - unthrottled

should I be worried about it

temperature gauge going into the red? Yes, very worried. Expect imminent head gasket failure. If it overheats at speed then the coolant isn't circulating properly. I expect the radiator is virtually stone cold. Does the heater blow out hot air?

Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia - X plate (2000) - Temperature gague in the red when driving at speed - Peter.N.

If the heater is giving a good supply of hot air when the temp is high I would suspect a clogged radiator. How many miles has it done?

Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia - X plate (2000) - Temperature gague in the red when driving at speed - RedLake

Thanks guys for your responses. Heater seems to work fine, but I did not have it on at time of the overheat incident. Car has done aprox 87k miles.

On strength of your suggested seriousness have taken it to the garage this morning. They suggest it's possibly a broken water pump impeller which would apparently account for why it doesn't happen on short runs. They are making circulation tests as I type!

Will update this when resolved.

Edited by RedLake on 18/07/2011 at 11:24

This saga runs and runs !!!....So far my very reputable and normally excellent garage have changed the thermostat (twice with different makes) the thermostat housing, water pump, temperature sensor, AND the radiator...and nothing makes any difference!

They have flushed it through thoroughly and pressure tested it, and all seems fine. At the moment I am running around without a thermostat, and fillled with tap water, and behaves perfectly ...BUT.. as soon as you put the thermostat back it, and put your foot down, it overheats. Somehow, even with the middle knocked out of it, the mere presence of the thermostat stops the ciruclation to the expansion tank.

The garage have admitted defeat, and given it back to me for the time being without the stat in it, whilst they consult with Ford and try and come up with another plan of attack

I'd change the b***** car if I could afford to, but as I can't, suggestions are still welcome.

Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia - X plate (2000) - Temperature gague in the red when driving at speed - unthrottled

How quickly does the temperature gauge respond to changes in throttle? A second or two? 10 seconds? 30 seconds? Does it lose coolant?

The only way I can get my temperature gauge to suddenly shift is to coast down a long hill in neutral, then put it back in gear to accelerate. It shouldn't move quickly.

It doesn't rise and fall really quickly in the way a rev counter does. It starts off fine, and is OK for the daily commute of 20 mins varying between 30-60mph. But get on the motorway for while at cruising speeds and it slowy climbs right up into red. Dropping back to 50mph will see the temp needle fall back after around 5-10 seconds to about the 3/4's point, but it won't drop below this until the engine has stopped and cooled right down. Speed up again, and the needle quickly climbs back to the red.

Never loses a drop of coolant.

It does none of this however when you take the thermostat out, but circulates water and behaves perfectly normally... But this is not an all year round solution of course!

Garage is adamant that coolant is not circulating when the the thermostat is fitted, but have apparently changed and checked all the associated parts 2 or 3 times, and cannot say why.

Edited by RedLake on 28/07/2011 at 21:43

Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia - X plate (2000) - Temperature gague in the red when driving at speed - bathtub tom

>>They suggest it's possibly a broken water pump impeller

What did they decide about that?

The problem wouldn't really go away when the stat was removed though-I don't think natural convection currents can cool an engine!

It's got to be something simple. I keep coming back to the thermostat not opening ie because it's fitted the wrong way round, but I can't believe that the garage would do that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original water pump showed some signs of weeping around the impeller spinde, but still appeared to be working OK. To be on the safe side they have replaced the whole pump. But it made no obvious improvement tpo the engine temp readings on the diagnostic box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original water pump showed some signs of weeping around the impeller spinde, but still appeared to be working OK. To be on the safe side they have replaced the whole pump. But it made no obvious improvement tpo the engine temp readings on the diagnostic box.

It showed some minor signs of weeping, so they changed the whole pump, but it did not make any difference to the engine temp readings on the diagnostic box.

Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia - X plate (2000) - Temperature gague in the red when driving at speed - sb10

Get them to check the hoses arent collapsing inside and causing a restriction,they cannot tell by looking at them they have to come off to check

Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia - X plate (2000) - Temperature gague in the red when driving at speed - mig123

hello did you manage to sort the high temp gauge reading.? .if you did , can you tell me so I can try the repair asI I have the same problem.. Thanks

After spending £350 with hitherto reliable and very well respected indepedant garage, including changing water pump, radiator and various thermostats to no avail. I was resigned to scrapping the car and getting something else. However, as financial pressures made this difficult I resolved to give it one last try, and took it to a Ford Service Centre .

They identified 4 faults, and fixed them. The car now runs perfectly.

This issues were, 1. New thermostat fitted by previous garage only a month before was not working. 2. The "bypass hose" between the engine and the thermostat was missing a restrictor valve, and thus coolant was not being channelled in the correct direction. 3 According to Ford the new water pump fitted by the previous garage was unsutiable and of a different internal design to Ford's own. 4. One of the other hoses was degraded and needed changing.

All of these things could/should have been spotted by my independant garage, and whilst none of them alone were a "magic bullet" in combination Ford's repairs have done the trick...for another £380.00.

I am about to have the neccesary conversation with the first garage....!!