What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - unthrottled

Advertorial alert!

The concerned staff at Kwik Fit are very worried that by driving with our windows down, we are collectively wasting £650,000 a year (cf £50,000,000,000+ collective annual fuel bill). Fortunately, the kindly souls have got a solution. They can recharge your air con for only £49 so you don't have to fritter away the £££s by driving with your windows down.

I've seen a couple of tests in car and driver that suggest that driving withthe window ajar has no noticeable effect-even at 60mph+, whereas the air compressor pump does have a noticeable effect. Given how turbulent the air flow past the wheels and undercarriage actually is, I'm inclined to believe car and driver. Does anyone with a real time mpg readout facility fancy doing a little test to find out?!

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - craig-pd130

I've only done a real-time test of aircon on / aircon off using the instant MPG readout. This was on my old 2003 Passat PD130 manual, and now on my current Volvo V60 D3 manual.

At a steady cruise above 35mph, aircon on or off makes no real difference ... maybe a couple of mpg more with aircon OFF, but road gradients have a far greater impact.

However, in stop-start conditions in town, it does make a difference you can feel through the controls ... driving the aircon compressor must take a good couple of BHP.

This is echoed in this MPG Myth-busters article from a couple of years ago, which looks at the effects of open windows, aircon, roofracks, tyre pressures, excess weight in the car etc using the same car & driver on a test track.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/229776/the_mpg_mythbusters.html

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - RT

£49 for a regas is way too expensive - because I want aircon, I pay £59 every two years for a complete aircon service, ie system test, gas evacuation, system purge, refill gas, lubricant, dye and final system test - at that rate a regas should be no more than about £20.

Running the aircon will cost fuel, no avoiding that, but testing it accurately is impossible without laboratory conditions.

Modern aircon compressors are more efficient than older designs - but take fuel to run - just like alternators - so for maximum economy, drive at night when the air is cooler but with no lights on to save electrical energy !!

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - Bobbin Threadbare
Have a look at this (I know it's American and I know they can't spell): www.sae.org/events/aars/presentations/2004-hill.pdf

Don't diss SAE material Bobbin-good choice by the way way!

Don't diss SAE material Bobbin-good choice by the way way!

Not dissing - just meant that they had mixed up 'affect' and 'effect'. Makes me a bit mad.

Are you sure? I think it might be right (possibly unintentionally!)

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - Dave N

"£49 for a regas is way too expensive - because I want aircon, I pay £59 every two years for a complete aircon service, ie system test, gas evacuation, system purge, refill gas, lubricant, dye and final system test - at that rate a regas should be no more than about £20."

That's exactly what you get with KF, so in fact you're paying £10 more for all the extra words.

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - madf

"49"?

I paid £25 in their 2010 winter offer: Get KF to regen the system in Jan-March 2010 when their offers are on: took 75 mins... complete purge etc..

Nice cold aircon after 1.5 years.

Edited by madf on 08/07/2011 at 12:10

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - TeeCee

"Mythbusters" did this ages ago.

Two identical vehicles driven at constant 55mph round an oval track, one with the airco on and one with the windows open. An exact amount of fuel was placed in each tank before and both were drained and measured afterwards.

The result was a marginal win (i.e. a small fraction of a mpg) for the one with the windows open. An interesting side-effect was that Adam Savage (who drove it) threatened to kill the next person who suggested he drive for four hours in 38 degree heat with the airco off.

Personally I am prepared to pay a small amount more for comfort, so I use the airco.

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - jamie745

With fuel the price it is now its all mere numbers now so you may as well have your aircon on and be comfortable, you'll be skint either way. May as well be skint and cool.

I think the economy perils of turning on your air con are overstated and its subjective to each car, i'd imagine a smaller engined car with aircon switched on you'd feel a more pronounced drop in power and leave your engine working harder, where as a bigger engine wouldnt even notice. Also some cars like the Peugeot 406 for example has the aerodynamic properties of a Bus.

Autoexpress found a whopping difference on the city course-it takes a lot of energy to compress and cool large volumes of air-it's not a design flaw of the compressor.

the SAE report found in favour of windows down-even at 70mph-but it was marginal at that point.

The wasn't meant to be about the merits of aircon-the point is that Kwik-Fit has used pseudoscience to paint a misleading picture-and I think that's wrong.

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - craig-pd130

@Jamie745, you've reminded me of an old article by the late Phil Llewellyn in which he described driving an aircon-equipped Suzuki Alto (rebadged as a Chevrolet something or other) in the US.

He said that switching off the aircon at speed had an effect akin to a supercharger kicking in :)

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - Reentrant

Mythbusters re-tested after criticism of the first episode's methods and found:

"It is more fuel efficient to use air conditioning when the car is traveling approximately 50mph or more. Otherwise, windows are more fuel efficient.

mythbustersresults.com/episode38

Edited by Reentrant on 08/07/2011 at 13:29

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - Dave N

But don't forget, if it's 30C outside, with the a/c on it will be 20 inside. With the windows down, the lowest posibble temperature it will be inside is 30C. So you're not really comparing apples with apples.

All the window open does is turbo charge hot air into your face. Not very productive when you think about it.

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - corax

My old E36 BMW's aircon was very noticeable when the compressor kicked in, it felt like the brakes had been slightly applied, I kid you not. I actually turned it off if I needed better acceleration - but the system was powerful, very cold within a few seconds of turning it on. The aircon in the current Avensis is not quite so cold but much more efficient, hardly noticeable.

My old E36 BMW's aircon was very noticeable when the compressor kicked in, it felt like the brakes had been slightly applied, I kid you not. I actually turned it off if I needed better acceleration - but the system was powerful, very cold within a few seconds of turning it on. The aircon in the current Avensis is not quite so cold but much more efficient, hardly noticeable.

Many cars disable the aircon at wide-open throttle to avoid compromising performance - but of course it will blunt the mid-throttle perception.

Older cars operate the compressor as on/off but modern ones simply vary the output to control the system, in which case it doesn't kick in or out.

All the window open does is turbo charge hot air into your face. Not very productive when you think about it.

Does the radiator fan 'turbocharge' hot air into the engine bay thus heating the engine uip even more? Of course not! Forced convection can have a far more powerful cooling effect than natural convection even though the temperature difference is smaller!

Edited by unthrottled on 08/07/2011 at 20:16

Where would the hot air in question come from? The engines own hot air you mean? Or are you saying air from outside the car is hotter than the engine?

You do like apples and oranges you dont you.

The air that passes through the radiator is heated by it.

Actually that was a poor example since inanimate objects cool differently to living things. People are largely cooled by the evaporation of sweat on the skin: a blast of 20C air from outside can cool you more effectively than 15C air that isn't moving. But, for once!, I don't this to be a pernickety debate about Physics. I just don't like dishonest adverts. Making people aware of a service is well and good, telling lies about the benefit of your service isn't!

But, for once!, I don't this to be a pernickety debate about Physics

Thats useful because with me that'd be a very short debate as halfway through the paragraph i was staring off into space as your voice vanished into the distance...

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - dadbif
Here in Spain, 37c, my fuel consumption increases with the air on on. Fact. The outside air temp is 37, however, with both front windows cracked open by just over an inch, it feels cooler in the car, and the fuel consumption reduces.

You may argue with this if you wish, but it is my personal experience and therefore irrefutable.

QED turn your aircon off!

Everyone reacts differently to heat mind, i could never live anywhere where its 37C, well, i could only if i was inside/in a car ALL the time with climate control in both.

What car is it out of interest and is the fuel consumption, for want of a better word relevant? ie are we talking 1 or 2 mpg difference or a tank worth.

My dad used to sing the praises of the sunroof, a device I'd always scoffed at. He argued that it was great for high speed driving because it didn't cause the buffeting that open windows do. Interestingly, I find that at low speed open sunroofs tend to cause a low freuency throbbing which I don't like. Windows for me every time! For one thing, you can hear what's going on around you. On a sunny day, I don't want my car to be an insulated cacc***-unless I'm dfrivingthrough Liverpool! ;-)

Do they fit air con to convertibles these days?!

Here in Spain, 37c, my fuel consumption increases with the air on on. Fact. The outside air temp is 37, however, with both front windows cracked open by just over an inch, it feels cooler in the car, and the fuel consumption reduces.

You may argue with this if you wish, but it is my personal experience and therefore irrefutable.

QED turn your aircon off!

Or buy cars without aircon, then you'll save even more money not hauling the extra weight around.

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - dadbif
Car is a Citroen C3 Picasso, 1.6 Hdi with FAP, I travel the same route most days and the inboard trip computer gives me 4.6 Litres/100km (61 per gallon), with the aircon on last week it dropped to 5.3 (around 53 per gallon).
However, during a recent motorway run the drop was imperceptible, so I would subscribe to the theory that at motorway speeds the effect is negligible. Driving to Nurburg next week, so, if it is hot will use aircon, but only on motorway.
All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - colinh

Just checked my brim-to-brim level records for the last 8 years lving in Spain, and there is no discernible difference in average fuel comsumption for the periods October to May compared to June to September. Some years one is higher than the other, other years the opposite.

That's interesting Colin! What do you drive?

unthrottled once again playing fast and loose with the word "interesting"

I think the weight of an air conditioning system is overstated, no worse than having a passenger sat on the bonnet is it.

But interesting enough enmough for you to comment on a thread that is accurately titled?

Do you know what I find really interesting? Looking down at the gear lever and thinking "hmm...which gear would I like to use? Five tough decisions. Better try them all. Yup, they all work.". Fascinating.

<laughs head off>

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - Avant

Nice one, Unthrottled. And Bobbin - further up the thread you were quite right - it should have been 'effect'. A mistake rather than an Americanism I think.

I don't mind not having aircon in my Z3, but I might if it were my only car. In my other car I have the aircon on the whole time, as it keeps the air fresh and helps to avoid misting up in winter. I can remember the effect of aircon on the first car I had with it - a Renault Safrane in 1994: it reduced acceleration rather than economy. With more recent cars my impression is that it makes less of a difference.

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - 1litregolfeater

In this country? Two days a year?

As we know, manufacturers load cars with all manner of tomfoolery to try and hype the price.

I could lighten my car and increase my mpg by hacking off all the unnecessary weight, but I'm not going to.

So there it sits, useless since the car was made, an albatross.

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - Sofa Spud

Wind resistanges rises with the square of speed, so presumably the turbulence associated with open windows does the same. While the aircon doesn't take more power as you go faster, the drag effect of having windows open does. So there must be a speed at which open windows waste more fuel than having the aircon on. But what is that speed?

Edited by Sofa Spud on 11/07/2011 at 10:45

Wind resistanges rises with the square of speed,

The power required to overcome air resistance rises with the CUBE of speed. But the airflow around open side windows is going to be quite a complex relation

Driving faster will increase the engine speed and so will increase the parasitic losses of any crank driven accessories such as aircon.

All - Open Windows Cost More Than Air-con - brum

Wind resistanges rises with the square of speed,

The power required to overcome air resistance rises with the CUBE of speed.

Actually it is far more complex. At low speeds the relationiship is roughly linear and medium speeds it increases to a square, at high speed it increases to a cube and so on.

It is highly dependent on complex aerodynamics and varies considerably between car designs, some being much better than others. It is even feasible (though unlikely) that open a window a little could improve the aerodynamics, as its al to do with airflow and turbulence.

Having said all that I wonder how many posers drive around with the soft/hard top down and the a/c on?

That sounds like the combined effects of rolling resistance and aereodynamic drag.

Rolling resistance has a linear relationship and so as it's relative significance changes, the overall resistance changes with a linear, square, cube relationship.

But open windows relates only to the aerodynamic flow-the rolling resistance being unaffected.