What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus saloon 06 - oil and plug change intervals - BrendanB.

Local Ford dealer recommends 12,000 mile oil change and 33,000 plug change. These seem very long intervals to me. I note Honest J's 5,000 oil change advice but who is right?

Ford Focus saloon 06 - oil and plug change intervals - Bobbin Threadbare

It depends on mileage but 10-12k miles per year is assumed to be average; if you're doing that then 12 monthly oil change should be ok. If it's a lot less, change the oil more often i.e. 6 months, to flush out the settled crud in there.

I used to do my Focus oil change every 12 months and it was fine. Some say the Focus drinks oil, but I never had any problems with it.

I was under the impression that the spark plugs ought to be checked and changed if necessary every 12 months too....33k miles might be a sensible maximum for changing them (that's about 3 years for your average driver).

Ford Focus saloon 06 - oil and plug change intervals - RT

Plug change interval depends on the number of electrodes - with single electrode it's 20,000 miles with 40,000 miles for Vauxhalls with twin electrodes.

I've seen claims that quad electrode plugs can go 80,000 miles but I used to fit quads and change them every 40,000.