What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Road sign madness - wowbagger
Are all councils as road sign crazy as South Gloucestershire? There\'s some moron in the highways department who believes in littering the entire county with road signs. An example is one of the approaches to Chipping Sodbury which has 40 Limit, then 30 Limit, roundabout with associated direction signage and \'this is a roundabout\' sign plus a plethora of signs saying there\'s a weak bridge with a weight limit ahead, all within a short space.

It seems to me that the whole arrangement could be dangerously distracting, especially for those not familiar with the area. Does the DfT not have any cogent standards for this kind of thing?

What are your examples of sign rash?

Road sign madness - IT
we have it worse in basingstoke(hampshire) there is a road by my house that was totaly perfect before the council made the road smaller by putting soil on the side of the road. to make things even worse they put posts in to stop people runing it down, if u met a lorry comeing out from the local quarry there would be no room to pass. late this year one lorry took 4 of these posts out. the council have now put signs up saying it is unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles to go though the village.

total madness i say

from it
Road sign madness - volvoman
Croydon is madness with nurmerous, complicated signs which are often small, confusing and difficult to read ! I think they're dangerous since to take them in you can't really concentrate on what you should be doing i.e. DRIVING. The new tram scheme has made matters even worse since the trams use roads in places and the signing is not at all clear.

Anyway - I've made my decision about Croydon - I refuse to go there anymore and if more drivers did the same thing they might think again !
Road sign madness - John S
Up near Melbourne in Derbyshire, near the National Forest, was a junction with an absolute plethora of signs. After several visits to a project I was working on there I spotted, in the middle of the official signs, the one made by an aggrieved householder. 'Welcome to the National Forest of Signs'.

Regards

John S
Road sign madness - Tom Shaw
Wales is the worst. To satisfy the Welsh language fanatics (in a country where 100% of the population speak fluent English) the road signs are in both languages. By the time you have worked out that you are trying to read the Welsh half you are past the sign and none the wiser as to what it said.

A case where PC is a major detriment to road safety.
Road sign madness - volvoman
PC gone mad ? - Not yet I'm afraid !

How long do you think it'll be before we have road signs in Albanian, Arabic, Turkish, Serbian and all the other languages of those flocking to our shores ?
Road sign madness - Bromptonaut
Wales is the worst. To satisfy the Welsh language fanatics (in
a country where 100% of the population speak fluent English) the
road signs are in both languages. By the time you have
worked out that you are trying to read the Welsh half
you are past the sign and none the wiser as to
what it said.

And the problem words are?. Most of the place names are spelled in Welsh on maps and are obvious anyway eg Wrecsam/Wrexam. Those that are not eg Caergybi/Holyhead are usually signed bi- lingually. Anyway the eye goes automatically to the recognisable word, SLOW rather than ARAF, as if the contextual clue of blind bends or brows of hills were not enough.

Minor inconvenience maybe, not a major detriment to safety. Small price to maintain a historic and beatiful language.
Road sign madness - Tom Shaw
Signs such as "New Road Layout Ahead" or specific temporary diversion signs are confusing when they are bi-lingual. There is enough to occupy ones mind when driving without having to spend any more time than nescessary with ones attention on road signs.

As for a historic and beautiful language, language is merely a means of communication, no more no less. Road signs are there purely to assist drivers in making safe passage, and anything likely to confuse is detrimental to this. Not to mention the small fortune the whole thing costs.
Road sign madness - Mark (RLBS)
>>Small price to maintain a historic and beatiful language.

I don't object to the signs. And it is a historic language, but beautiful ? I don't think so, best spoken with a bad cold.

And before anybody says anything, I am welsh.

Oh, and to mention something else, someone said about 100% of the population speaking english ? Not so. There is at least one who does not, my great aunt Let. Not that she'd ever be allowed near a car anyway.
Road sign madness - Daedalus
wowbagger

there is a short section of Motorway off the M62 that I use every day. Its junction 20, A627(M)to Oldham and goes onto the A663, in the course of 2.5 miles it has 9 of the big motorway message signs, the ones that can say "TAKE EXTRA CARE WHEN DRIVING FIREMAN STRIKE TODAY" think of the cost in that.

Bill
Road sign madness - BrianW
Bill
Do they ever use them, though?
The two within half a mile at the bottom of the M11 have been used about four times in the three years they have been there.

This morning there was a 50 mph limit shown on the repeaters on the central reservation, just by one of the gantries. An explanation COULD have been put on the gantries but they were blank as usual.
It turned out to be a car fire.
Road sign madness - BrianW
Apart from the distraction, the proliferation of signs and their associated posts are a definite safety hazard in the case of an accident.