Mitsubish Shogun 3.2 DiD - Dual mass flywheel - jon6500_0

The dual mass flywheel on my Shogun has failed. Would anyone recommend replacing it with a solid flywheel conversion ? Apparently the kits are supplied with an Exedy clutch plate equipped with larger springs to replacing the dampening effect of the DMF.

Mitsubish Shogun 3.2 DiD - Dual mass flywheel - gordonbennet

How long has the DMF lasted, if this time/mileage is relatively short has your driving been responsible for rough use, or was the car bought used...only you know the time/mileage scales and whether you'll keep it long enough or use it hard enough to get through another.

I know they're expensive but then an engine is a sight more so, is the saving worth the gamble, i wouldn't do it unless forced to.

Mitsubish Shogun 3.2 DiD - Dual mass flywheel - unthrottled

i wouldn't do it unless forced to.

No. It's not simply an issue of driver comfort. Crankshaft torsional flux is violent on a diesel-and this can be hard on engine/gearbox/clutch components.

Edited by unthrottled on 28/06/2011 at 20:12

Mitsubish Shogun 3.2 DiD - Dual mass flywheel - Collos25
You will not notice any differece except in your wallet.
Mitsubish Shogun 3.2 DiD - Dual mass flywheel - unthrottled

So an expensive piece of externally sourced equipment was fitted just to stop gear lever rattle?

Mitsubish Shogun 3.2 DiD - Dual mass flywheel - jon6500_0

DMF has lasted 112,000 miles. The car has been carefully driven BUT has towed a horse trailer. On balance it has lasted well and l think your advice is sound !! If the engine or gearbox failed the car would be scrap.