What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - Ethan Edwards

Always fancied driving one of these if only for day or so. I googled a place in Dorset where you can hire one for £185 a day. Anyone know of a company closer to London?

Presume it's a non synchromesh 'crash' gearbox?

BTW -the Jeep I am referring to is not one of the modern ones but the original one from the 1940's.

Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:...""Presume it's a non synchromesh 'crash' gearbox?""

And only 3 speeds. There's also a 2-speed tranfer box but you'd keep that in 'hi' on the road.

Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

And poor brakes. A friend in Scotland has got a French built Jeep of that era and had Peugeot front disc brakes fitted.

And if you drive other than slowly on the road, be aware that they had a bad reputation for overturning . Sitting on the fuel tank may be a hazard as well.

Best seen at the usual static military rallies.

Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - piston power

Here you go buy this have your own. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jeep-Willys-1943-/320708613308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aabb914bc

Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - RaineMan

Quite an expensive daily rate for a vehicle worth £6-7k at best. They are quite grim. When I was knee high to a grasshopper my father's friend had one. Unpleasant compared to an early Landie which are unpleasant compared to later models and Range Rovers. Try a 4x4 experience - at least you will have an enjoyable day!

Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - Roly93

Quite an expensive daily rate for a vehicle worth £6-7k at best. They are quite grim. When I was knee high to a grasshopper my father's friend had one. Unpleasant compared to an early Landie which are unpleasant compared to later models and Range Rovers. Try a 4x4 experience - at least you will have an enjoyable day!

Firstly, a good WW2 vintage American made Willys Jeep would be worth twice what you state above, and secondly, its not about just driving a common 4 x 4 over some rough ground, it is about experiencing a slice of history in the shape of one of the machioes that won the war !

Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - Ethan Edwards

Thaks Roly - you get it.

I already own a 4x4 that is in every way superior to the Willys' but thats not the point. Driving a Willy's jeep is one of those big ticks of things I'd like to be able to say I've done it.

Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - Paul G1pdc

if you like the old jeeps go to this

http://www.thewarandpeaceshow.com/

i've been there about 5 times over the years. and recently started taking my young boys.

tanks, jeeps, big guns...and beer tents....what more could you ask for...its takes place over a 5 day period....starts next month...always has a section of hardware to purchase from jeeps to tanks....jeep prices have been on the rise over the past few years for a french version made just after ww2 the prices are still over 12k. for a really nice one. complete rust buckets are still over 8k......

will try and get there again this year..fair old drive for me from oxfordshire to the hop farm in paddock wood...but a nice BOYS day out....theres usually a competion to win a jeep...i love the old american half tracks myself.....(kellys heros film....jeeps and half tracks,,,,)

Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - bintang

These adorable, nimble little vehicles, covered with DIY armour, were the "company cars" I used in planting days during the Communist Emergency in the then Malaya. Most were well worn and gearchages could often by made without recourse to the clutch. The 4WD stick and that for the low range sprouted from the same boss as the main gear lever, so I only had to drop my hand on the move to engage them. My memory is that they were righthand drive so had presumably been converted. Latterly, Landrovers were issued, very clumsy by comparison and needing to be halted to engage 4WD.

Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - unthrottled

Ah! The days when the globe was covered pink...

Bet you could play some 'tunes' on the non synchro-if you can't find it, grind it...

Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - carr

They've got a stock of new ones here http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/209948810.htm?ca=14_s

The price is €20,000 , you certainly won't get much for £7 grand.

Willys Jeep WW2 era - WW2 Willys jeep for Hire? - normy

I've had my Willys Jeep now for 10 years - great fun, though I've always had a little bit of difficulty in seeing them as fun bearing in mind what they were built for - maybe I'm worrying too much !

They are very uncomfortable, noisy and not an easy drive over about 40mph - but I wouldn't be without it ! Everyone seems to like them, especially youngsters and Oldies,the latter of course because they can remember them from the war.

You would certainly have to pay 11/12 thousand for a good one.