What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Fiesta Engine Trouble 1.25 zetec 16v - jimmy_1990

Difficult to describe my issue. The engine appears to misfire under anything other than very very gentle acceleration. If I apply the gas as you would in normal driving then suddenly all power disappears the engine splutters, the revs increase all be it slowly. Sometimes when you reach higher revs then the engine becomes smooth again and all power returns at the same time. Sometimes the engine is fine through the whole rev range. Most of the time you can pull away gently but not any more than that, when i say gently imagine the speed of a small child on a pushbike for the first time. I have changed the plugs, the leads, the coil pack. I've tried disconnecting the MAF engine is no different whatsoever, tried disconnecting the lambda, this made the engine slightly improve on idle but no change to driving. The idle is smooth except when the AC is on, then it struggles and 'pops', disconnecting lambda stops this.

please help.

also, probably unrelated the heating is always on, the fan speed dial still works but sometimes the temperature one does not, turning the air con on does not make any difference you only get hot air. This promlem only occurs after running the engine to temp, stopping and then restarting (visit to the shops etc)

Edited by jimmy_1990 on 02/06/2011 at 12:03

Ford Fiesta - Fiesta Engine Trouble 1.25 zetec 16v - rightcar

Hi.

Have you recently run the tank empty??..it could be that your fuel filter is clogged up. Try changing the filter and get back to us. Have you also checked all the hoses?..look for cracks or splits as you may have a vacuum leak somewhere. Additionally, disconnect all the electrical connections you can get to one by one, give them a clean and a squirt of WD40 and securely reconnect them.

Personally, I would go for the fuel filter first mate.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to add...to check for induction leaks...run the engine and spray some wd40 or easy start all around the inlet manifold and hoses..no much just enough to make it misty..if the revs rise ..you have a leak.

Ford Fiesta - Fiesta Engine Trouble 1.25 zetec 16v - injection doc

Do NOT USE WD40 ! it has silicon content that can effect the lambda sensors !

The very small amount of WD40 or Easy start used to check for leaks will have very little effect on the Lambda. The heat generated along with a good few blasts on the throttle will clear any mild contamination.

Ford Fiesta - Fiesta Engine Trouble 1.25 zetec 16v - jimmy_1990

Changed the fuel filter this morning and checked all the pipes. There are no leaks on the air intake or the vacuum hoses (or anywhere else)

Problem still persists. :(

Any other suggestions?

thanks in advance

Ford Fiesta - Fiesta Engine Trouble 1.25 zetec 16v - Fernando P

Yes - the crankshaft position sensor.

Hi.

The crank position sensor is a good suggested next place to look!..also , have you had the spark plugs out??..if not take them out and check condition, give em a clean or renew and try again.

Give the plug to the CPS a good clean too, disconnect, clean and reconnect.

Hi.

Another thing...Did you give the MAF a clean??..they are very delicate but, A small amount of carb cleaner on it will clean it up a treat...I have done this before and it has worked wonders. Be gentle with it though. A tertiary clean will prove the MAF fault or not as the case may be.

Ford Fiesta - Fiesta Engine Trouble 1.25 zetec 16v - jc2

There is NO silicone in WD40! Read the tin.