What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - The_Grouch

Just out of curiosity, and a bit of a challenge for you all too!

I've owned a 1.6 Petrol Mazda3 for about 6 months, and I can get a smidgen over 450 miles if I drive like a pensioner, before the computer reads 0 miles remaining. How much is left in the tank at this stage I have no idea. I have to say I am a little dissapointed with this, as my old S-reg 1.8 Mondeo would easily do 550 miles, often with some town driving included, so I always thought I could squeeze 600 out of it, but never quite managed it!

How much can you get? I'd be particularly interested to hear from focus owners as I kinda wish I'd gone that route instead of the Mazda I have to say :(

Edited by The_Grouch on 31/05/2011 at 13:58

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - unthrottled

Never understood the miles per tank nonsense. Since fuel tanks vary in size, the measure is meaningless to anyone but you. It's only a trivial step to convert into miles/gallon which is a universally understood measurement.

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - WellKnownSid

I can squeeze 715 miles (1150km) out of a tank of derv in the Marea before the light comes on, but never brave enough to test out the slime at the bottom of the tank.

Range is just as important as mpg... the other day I was given a Kia Picanto (automatic!) and I think it only held about 10 litres. I spent most of the day finding petrol stations...

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - dieseldogg

Sniff,

Der ould Galaxy when in holiday on the Continent gave 1000 miles to the tank, well with 1/2 a tank consumed and 500 miles on the trip her computer was telling us over 500 miles to fuel.

so 500 plus 500 = 1000.

And seriousley the advertised 72 litre tank has held 80 litres on occassion, when running on fumes limping into Muff ( in Donegal), so at an very realistic achievable 52.5mpg ( achieved many times brim to brim)=11.56 miles per litre *80 = 925 miles .

The daughter due to driving at 45miles per hour reg achieves 60 mpg odd on longer runs.

So it is possible.

Edited by dieseldogg on 31/05/2011 at 15:54

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - Bobbin Threadbare

It depends how big the tank is! I have a 1.8l petrol Mazda 6 TS and I get 450 miles before I panic and fill up - the fuel gauge is terrible. I drive sedately in towns and like a bat out of hell on the motorway. I always try to sit in neutral at lights or in traffic jams.

I measure my tank in £ now anyway; I reckon cost is very important to people nowadays. I nearly cried when filling up my car from empty broke the £80 mark!

Mazdas have the nice little computer to tell you miles per litre and so on. All of the manufacturer-quoted mpgs that are knocking round nowadays are misleading at best.

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - jamie745

I have a 70 litre tank, but the fuel gauge has no idea. Put £20 in and it thinks its full. Then rapidly alters its estimation within 50 yards. Then it'll think its empty, when it really has 15 litres in it.

It really has no idea where it stands, i believe its called Nick Clegg syndrome.

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - WellKnownSid

We had a Picasso like that.

You would drive into the petrol station with half a tank, put 20 quid of petrol in, and drive out only showing a quarter full. The most bizarre thing was it would only happen if you paid by credit card!

After much arguing with the dealer it turned out to be a software bug. Paying by credit card at a pay-at-pump machine allows you to drive off faster, but switching on the ignition "too soon" after adding fuel where the tank wasn't brimmed, the software would get the calculation of the volume wrong.

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - barney100

Just out of curiosity, and a bit of a challenge for you all too!

I've owned a 1.6 Petrol Mazda3 for about 6 months, and I can get a smidgen over 450 miles if I drive like a pensioner........................................is Stirling Moss a pensioner? Some of the old guys I know are only old in numbers and enjoy 'a burst on the banjo. Granted some older foilks take it very easy but many also enjoy their motoring to the full.

But how much fuel do you put in the tank? Otherwise these numbers are meaningless!!

Oh all right. We're all competitive!

I Average 480miles/11 gallons summer

410 miles/11 gallons winter

1600 8V petrol. 15 years old and no loss of compression :)

Edited by unthrottled on 31/05/2011 at 21:50

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - oldtoffee

62 litre tank in my Passat TDi and I've seen the computer show 850 potential miles at various stages say 300 miles travelled 550 left right down to 790 travelled and 50 left but I've bottled it. Needless to say this has been 90% driving fairly carefully at 65 to 75 mph on uncrowded motorways. I usually see 720+ miles from a tank but most of my miles are motorway cruising and usually a fair bit above the 65 to 75mph range.

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - Westpig

I can usually get about 275 miles out of my 69 litre tank...300 or so if i take it easy. Once got 320.

Thats under 20mpg. Are you running on LPG?

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - bathtub tom

My old '70s Austin Princess had IIRC something around an eighty litre tank (let's call it 16 gallons). It was capable of returning (just) 40MPG, measured tankful to tankful.

I make that over 600 miles per tank. It doesn't prove anything.

1970's 1800cc engine-4 speed box-40mpg??

Hmm. 30 would be plausible-on a good day.

Au contraire Old Boy

I used to get 40mpg outta a Hillman Hunter, when on a longer run.Brimmed.

On the other hand I usually got nearer 25 when ligging about locally.

It's all in the control of the right foot.

Cheers

M

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - Andy P

I usually fill my 335d when it reaches a quarter of a tank on the gauge, and this is normally around 380 miles, so I guess about 475 miles.

Smaller engine, smaller car, overdrive transmission. Yeah, 40mpg is lausible.

Her was still 1725 cc though, however the bodywork was certainely no heavier than it absolutly needed to be.......my mother put a big dent in the rear door with her backside, whilst nursing an armfull of groceries.

No overdrive ...........though one could very slickly pick up 3rd in place of the non existent 5th gear.

I did once be chatting to a woman, a real country woman type, who was surprisingly au-fait with the Hillman Hunter design ethos, it was apparently designed/optimised for then darned new-fangled Motorways, to cruise at 80mph dont ya know.

And be economicall at more sensible cruising speeds.

Edited by dieseldogg on 01/06/2011 at 16:10

I have my own question for you all. How many of you have played petrol chicken?

The game is this, when the light comes on, you drive, then drive some more and see how far you can go before you chicken out and put some in it. I once petrol chickened for 26 miles, following day my girlfriend borrowed my car and put petrol in it *big grin*

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - Avant

Is she still your girlfriend after that?

No but there are many reasons why a woman will gradually come to hate me and chase me with a knife, the petrol chicken thing is the tip of the iceberg :P

Thats under 20mpg. Are you running on LPG?

No...but only do 4,500 miles a year. It's a second car used for a 5 mile commute.

Dreadful stop/start traffic = 15mpg (did that for 15 months a while back)

Flowing but busy commute traffic (my normal journey) = 18.5 mpg

Long journey at high speed on m/way = 26.5 mpg (rare nowadays, wife's diesel is used normally)

Very careful on m/way = 32mpg (only done it once, get bored too quickly)

What do you drive?

What do you drive?

3 litre petrol auto Jaguar S Type

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - richmurr

i got a mere 300 miles out of my 1.3 fiesta and that was driving carefully after putting £45 in my tank.

how true is it about getting more miles if you just fill up half a tank. ive heard some stuff about weight and also psycological (ignore spelling) factors not wanting to run out etc.

I have experienced some cars where the bottom half of the tank is like a funnel but weight of the fuel? A full tank weighs no more than some shopping or having a passenger in the back.

I think cars now are programmed to tell you you've run out long before you really have, just to be safe. Like i said my old 406 once told me i had run out of diesel 10 miles ago and it still had 2 gallons in it.

How many miles can you squeeze from 1 tank? - madf

510miles from Yaris d4d 40 litre tank.. with about 3 litres left.. Long run at 60mph in summer.

Just how late were you?!?!!? LOL!

It is more efficient to drive without the tank absolutely full. Think about how much mass a 60 litre tank of petrol has, full to the top. Petrol density is about 700kg m^-3 so that gives a litre a mass of about 0.7kg. So that's 42kg, or about 2 and half to 3 full suitcases. Bigger car, bigger tank on average.

I keep my car litter to a minimum; battery charger, few tools, spare water and a little tree air freshener is all you need ;-)

42Kg out of a total mass of ~2500Kg. The rule of thumb is that removing 100lb of weight (~42Kg) reduces fuel consumption by ~1%.

and a little air tree freshioners

respect ebbing away rapidly! those things smell worse than stale fag smoke.

Edited by unthrottled on 03/06/2011 at 12:21

What?!! Mine's a yellow one. The previous car owner was a man with a poor taste in aftershave and a dog so I had to eliminate that. It's the lesser of two evils.

I found tutti frutti air freshener the other day. Oh deary me.