What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda, Toyota, SEAT - Another "What car should I buy" thread - DirkThrust

I'm fed up spending out on repair bills for my Focus so the time has come to replace it. I need an Auto so Mrs Thrust can drive it.

I like the low down grunt of diesels so am looking at diesel at the moment but I have yet to make a final decision having read some of the petrol v Diesel threads on here.

Preferably British made so at the moment I am considering the Toyota Auris, Honda Civic or the new Astra but also have the SEAT Leon on my shortlist and am looking at about 2-3 yrs old.

Have these models got any particular reliability issues or problems and are there any other models to consider. Being non UK built is not a dealbreaker and I guess my main criteria is reliabilty, especially the auto box.

Thanks in advance

Honda, Toyota, SEAT - Another "What car should I buy" thread - Boulder2k9

Hi DirkThrust

The petrol v diesel really depends on mileage that you plan on doing if you are looking to really minimise costs, I reckon any lower than 12k per year, go petrol but over diesel is the better choice, however some people like me who don't do big mileage just like the feeling of diesel engines so it depends really.

All the cars on your shortlist would be good choices but have you a rough budget so we could find other possibilities?

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not really doing huge mileage. Probably 12-15k a year. I've just got used to the pull of a Diesel. On purely financial terms it's probably better for me to get a petrol and as I've discovered to my cost, when a Diesel goes wrong any MPG cost saving is wiped out many times over.

My budget is £12k max. I'm looking for a medium hatchback. I'd like something with a bit of welly so I guess a minimum of 1800cc I drive like a nun so economy is important but not critical. My main concern is the reliability of the auto transmission. I've got a mental fixation that autos are thirsty and unreliable but that view is probably 20 years out of date.

I'll probably be buying from a main dealer.

Honda, Toyota, SEAT - Another "What car should I buy" thread - unthrottled

I've got a mental fixation that autos are thirsty and unreliable but that view is probably 20 years out of date.

Almost! They tend to be either unreliable OR thirsty. The simple 4 speed torque converter autos were often (but not invariably) robust but thirsty. In a bid to improve economy, they added gears and slimmed own the components-not a great combination.

Ford's CVT was notoriously problematic.

VAG's DSG is supposed to be good. You'll get more automatic options with petrol.

Edited by unthrottled on 30/05/2011 at 19:39

You'll get more automatic options with petrol.

Yeah that's what I'm discovering.

Honda, Toyota, SEAT - Another "What car should I buy" thread - Boulder2k9

Ok well 12k should get something fairly special so how about this

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201116385507125/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/12000/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/automatic/model/golf/make/volkswagen/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/sw1a0aa?logcode=p

This is just an example of what can be had for your budget, plenty of pace and economy and should be worth a fair bit if you sell it on.

Very interesting. Thanks.