What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Whats the right car? - Scott-Gibbs

Hi folks,

Im new to this website so firstly howdy. Now down to business, it is nearing the end of this years insurance policy for me so im on the market for something new. I currently drive a ford mondeo ghia x 2.5 V6 and to be fair even though its lovely to drive it is murdering me on running costs.

I am 22 so insurance is stupid, fuel prices are on the rise so you cant afford to have a heavy foot which is what fast fords are made for, and the government are tight fisted so road tax is stupid.

Simple solution you might think, get a small car and/or diesel. Thats where your wrong. Having a ghia x I have all the toys and if im honest I dont want to loose them.

My question to you guys is what car would you suggest? Here is my checklist;

• Cruise control
  • Climate control
  • Electric windows all round
  • Electric heated mirrors
  • Leather seats (preferably)
  • On board computer showing miles to fill up etc
  • Alloys
  • Tow bar
  • Reversing sensors (would be nice)
  • Sat nav (Again would be nice)

And heres the icing to a very large cake it has to be less than £2500 and do 45+ M.P.G.

I dont want much I know haha but any help on the topic would be fantastic

Thanks in advance.

Whats the right car? - unthrottled

Best advice is to take a reality check.

If there was a big, cheap, reliable car, loaded with goodies that got great mileage, no one would drive a poorly equiped econobox, would they?

Whats the right car? - P3t3r

It sounds like you need a car very similar to what you have but with a more economical engine?

I would say that you should be willing to sacrifice some of those features at that budget. You haven't said what you use the car for or how many miles you do.

Cruise control - do you really need it? I've never had it, but never wanted it either, but maybe you do a very high mileage?

Climate control - I had automatic climate control, but have manual aircon now, and I'm happy with it.

Alloys - do you really need these? I personally don't see any benefit, and it's not as if you have a big budget.

Tow bar - so you need to tow things? What do you tow, is it heavy? You may need additional power for towing.

45mpg - Petrol or diesel, in the city or on a motorway? If you want 45mpg from a petrol engine at 70mph then you probably won't be able to get anything bigger than a 1.2.

No, There is no discernible benefit to alloys.

If you want 45mpg from a petrol engine at 70mph then you probably won't be able to get anything bigger than a 1.2

That's not really true. Bigger engines tend to be mated to taller gears. A 2 litre engine @ 2000RPM is almost indistinguishable to a 1.6@2500RPM in terms of efficiency. At 70mph your battle is with air resistance-and you're going to lose. At 80mph, engine efficiency is a moot point, in spite of tall claims some turbo diesel drivers make about stellar economy at high motorway speed.

The secret to fuel economy lies in the brain rather than than under the bonnet.

Edited by unthrottled on 22/05/2011 at 19:02

Whats the right car? - gordonbennet

The right car might be your own car with an LPG conversion.

My 3.2 litre MB is giving the approx equivalent of 40mpg now it's on LPG, only wish i'd done it sooner.

It's a £1500 to £2000 cost to convert though, so the car has got to be worth it long term.

At a saving of 60p/litre, you need to buy 550-750 gallons of fuel just to break even...

Actually it's worse than that. Your mpg will reduce by ~20% since the volumetric energy density of lpg is ~25% less.

Never understood the generous tax break on lpg-switching from one hydrocarbon to another doesn't significantly alter efficiency or emissions.

Whats the right car? - Alby Back

I'm more than happy to recommend a diesel version of what you have. I've had several. All been very good cars and pleasing to drive if obviously not as quick as your V6. Never did get around to a 2.2 diesel Mondeo but I'd have thought that would bowl along alright while not being too rude at the fuel pumps.

Yes it's not a conversion to be considered purely for economic reasons, it does however mean that those of us that have individual tastes can continue to run our unusual uncloned cars of joy for many years to come.

Gordon, what grounds other than economic are there?! The point is you could have put the £1500-£2000 towards gasoline and carried on as normal! You do of course win in the very long run.

But a lot of people lose track of reality when it comes to fuel costs.

The problem with just continuing to pay the exhorbitant fuel tax on normal petrol is that it's going to go up at an ever alarming rate.

I had thought of selling my beloved old MB, and was using it less simply because of fuel costs, yes i know LPG will go up too, but it should stay about half the price of petrol for some years yet, so the savings should accelerate.

I've had it about9 years, i fully expect to keep it another 9, by then the price of my conversion will be quite cheap in proportion to the fuel savings, and i get to drive a proper individual car as much as i like.

It works for me, it's not for everyone.

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/05/2011 at 21:44

Whats the right car? - Alby Back

Fair enough GB. I could just about go with your logic if the car was something a bit long-term handier like, oh I don't know, perhaps an estate for example?....Oh is that the time? Best be off for my swim....

:-)

Oh well played Hump, i'll get SWM to disinfect the wound inflicted by your keyboard..-)

Whats the right car? - Avant

Welcome to the forum. As Humph says, the nearest you'll get to all those luxuries plus 45 mpg is a dlesel Mondeo. A Vectra would be a lot less fun to drive, and you should avoid a Mazda 6 diesel as they have had big engine problems.

VW Golf / Passat / Skoda Octavia would be good if you could put up with fewer luxuries. The 1.9 TDI is the best engine for reliability at your budget level.

But bear in mind that you'd be buying a well-used car at this price, and one costly repair, caused by age or the previous owner's neglect, could negate any savings you're hoping to make. If I were you I'd be very tempted to keep the car you've got, if it's in good condition, and set yourself a new challenge of seeing how ecxoinomically you can drive. An average of 30+ mpg from the V6 would be a good target to aim for.

Whats the right car? - jamie745

Theres virtually nothing in that price bracket to meet all of those. Cruise control and Climate Control and definatley Sat Nav (£1000+ optional extra on new cars, if you need one get a cheapy portable off ebay) all have to go. Leather seats as well probably.

The thing is, you can get a perfectly good used car which meets all those luxurious requirements, you have one right now, the Ghia X is a fantastic car, and you can pick them up cheap, due to their average economy, high tax bill and large size, nobody wants them. So you can get alot of car for your money. Something in that price bracket to do good economy and cheap to run will not be a nice big cruise mobile. Cheap to run cars carry a hefty price premium to buy them in the first place, and as good a car as the Mondeo V6 is, its worth sod all on a trade in and it'd have to be in exceptional condition to get over 1k on a private sale.

You say you need a towbar, thats an interesting point, i would recommend a diesel, as a small engined petrol car couldnt tow a bag of feathers up a hill, something like a 406 HDi, i had one myself, 45mpg easily, built like a tank (surprising given Peugeot's reputation) and not totally awful to drive either.

Whats the right car? - BigJohnD

Q: What's the right car?

A: Citroën C5 Tourer.

Whats the right car? - TeeCee

Q: What's the right car?

A: Citroën C5 Tourer.

Ah, you noticed that the OP omitted "reliable" in his checklist too then?

<Paradiddle>

<Ka-ching!>

Whats the right car? - madf

Cheaper motoring an essentail. I.e insurance, tax and mpg.

Rule out all BIG cars . period. A 2 litre Mondeo will cost a lot to insure.

The OP needs a reality check and to do some basic research. The list of essentials is impossible to equate with reality.

I would say that it could be met by a modern small luxury diesel - but his price of £4k is then wrong.

A 1.4 TDCI Ford Fiesta Ghia prior model will do. He'll struggle to get a good one for £4k though...

Whats the right car? - Bobbin Threadbare

Big engine pre-2007 petrol Mazda 6. I have a serious amount of widgets in mine, it's cheap to run, medium tax and fun to drive. I've never towed anything but the rear seats fold totally flat and the boot is huge (can get an entire bed in there to bring home from Ikea). Never a thing wrong with it.

That or a Nissan Primera - they do not die and you can get a big engine and a speedy comfy ride for low insurance.

You'll have to sacrifice something - buy the best you can afford, but you're not going to tick every box.

I did just ask Honest John a question about replacing my Mazda and a Toyota Celica for two other vehicles. He reckoned a Mondeo estate and a Hyundai Coupe, so maybe stick with Mondeos until your insurance drops - the dent in your cash that road tax makes compared to your insurance costs is probably relatively ignorable!

If you want good mpg, do not buy a car with a V6 that begs a man of 22 to drive it 'properly' ;-)

Whats the right car? - ForumNeedsModerating

OP - you're not going to get that for that. You might (possibly) be able to buy a knackered old M-B diesel with the spec you want - but that will mean sky-high bills & maintenance sooner rather than later.

I'd also say that if you thrash a car, nothing will be economical (your 45mpg) - even an 'economical' diesel.

Answer then? Keep your current car & 'spend' the notional £2.5K on running it - the Ford

will be cheaper (pro-rata) than any likely equivalent to insure/service - lighten the right foot slightly & see 35mpg!

Whats the right car? - ddr

At that price, your best bet is probably a mondeo tddi/tdci with high miles - 150k+. Ensure the DMF/clutch/injectors have been changed at least once in its life and it should be fine for another 100k. Tddi reportedly more reliable (but a bit down on power).

Whats the right car? - SteveLee

Loads of well equipped cars in that price range Škoda Octavia 1.9TDI, Seat Toledo. Citroën C5, Mondeo TDDI. Early Toyota Avensis Diesel. The problem is by spending so little you could be buying a heap of trouble. In the real world gaining 10-20 mpg doesn't make financial sense if you've got rid of a perfectly reliable car and bought something that gives you trouble - just one major fault will wipe out 1-2 years of potential fuel cost savings. Fuel cost seems to be more overbearing than it actually is because you're filling up regularly. When you take other costs into consideration it's not that big an issue.

If you're struggling to run your car then it's not the fuel costs that's the issue - you need a smaller car - forget the toys and downsize the car to something you can afford to run. For £2.5K you could buy a decent Mitsubishi Colt which will be cheap to run and reliable.

Whats the right car? - Collos25
Sound advice
Whats the right car? - Scott-Gibbs

Haha wow I didnt expect so much response to my first post. Thanks for all advice even if some of it was a bit blunt borderlining offensive haha.

I have done countless hours off research since im off work for a bit and there is sod all else to do. I have come up with quite a reasonable amount of cars that fit the bill. Such as;

Citroen c5 2.2 HDi Exclusive SE (Has everything on the list and more)

Ford Mondeo 2.2 155PS TDCi Ghia X (Again plenty to keep the gadget hungry busy)

Peugeot 406 2.0HDi Executive (Full list again)

Rover 75 2.0CDTi Conniseur SE (Full shabang plus a TV)

Renault 1.9DCi Initaile (quite unreliable though :/ )

Peugeot 607 2.0 HDi (kitted and imposing to boot)

So there is pleanty out there. The mondeo seems the best bet surprisingly as it has a heck of a punch for a diesel and with a small bit of magic can be brought up to 200bhp and touches the good side of 300lbft of tourque. In answer to some questions it will be towing things as heavy as another car so braked towing weight would be ideally 1500kg plus, majority of driving will be in town areas but motorway work will be required so must be quiet. I only drive at 60mph on the motorway so high speeds on the motorway arent neccassery.

Ive also spotted a pre converted jeep grand cherokee 4.7 V8 on lpg which is faster than my mondeo :| However insurance is a no go there as is tax nearly £300 *gulp*

Opinions on the above motors would be fab.

Scott

Simple solution you might think, get a small car and/or diesel. Thats where your wrong.

Yet every single one of your choices is a diesel?!?

a small bit of magic can be brought up to 200bhp and touches the good side of 300lbft of tourque

it will be towing things as heavy as another car so braked towing weight would be ideally 1500kg plus

Even more reason not to crank up the fuelling. Pulling a heavy trailer, you might actually start using all those 300lbf.ft and things will start going downhill quickly.You'll notice that car engines used in vans are significantly derated. They don't do that because van drivers are not interested in grunt...

All of your choices are decent but at your budget level you'll be looking at older high milers-and expensive faults can start going wrong...

...I know that I sound like a wet blanket but on a tight budget, being ultra conservative and keeping cash for repairs is always your best option.